🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
thestray

Why don't we go around the room and everybody explain their problem

I've noticed this is a common way for Matt to start scenes. For instance most often he'll be a teacher or school official and the other performers will be students who have been kicked out of class for being a disturbance, and Matt will ask them to one by one explain what their individual issues were. Comedy ensues.

I've never studied improv so I was wondering if this is a common improv game or way into scenes, or if this is purely a Matt specific thing? Just curious. Either way it's pretty clever and always makes for some great heightening.

They call them 'group games' in the improv world. There are a lot of different ways to do them, but I think on a podcast they kinda have to be overtly presentational like this.

You should totally learn some improv! Your location says LA - why don't you take some classes?

Me and a group of my friends have been teaching ourselves (I live in Southeast Missouri :(), and it's a blast.

Interesting, that's what I figured.

Improv classes are definitely on my agenda when it's something I can afford. In the mean time I actually know a few people who have graduated from 401 UCB classes, so I'm going to incessantly bug them to teach me everything they know.

Sign in to follow this