🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 63.5 — Minisode 63.5

Should we establish an over-under on how many times Jason will shriek "WHAT IS HAPPENING?" during next week's episode?

• Like 3

I'm only not doing The Happening because you all complain about us not doing it so much. So can we please stop this boring ass conspiracy conversation.

• Like 10

I'm only not doing The Happening because you all complain about us not doing it so much. So can we please stop this boring ass conspiracy conversation.

boom roasted

• Like 1

Should we establish an over-under on how many times Jason will shriek "WHAT IS HAPPENING?" during next week's episode?

i would take the under at 1.5 because idk if this movie is actually all that weird + crazy

i would take the under at 1.5 because idk if this movie is actually all that weird + crazy

It's not weird, but there is quite a bit of stuff that is under-explained or not explained at all. The overall journey is clear but the audience is left to decipher a lot of the details along the way.

BUT HOT DOG MAN NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED. RIFFTRAX CAN ONLY ENTERTAIN ME FOR SO LONG!

Oh, and can you let us know ahead of time whether you are leaning towards It's Pat or The Garbage Pail Kids Movie so I can watch one and make up more conspiracies when you choose the other.

• Like 2

Come on man. You're not going to do the movie that recieved 2000 unique votes in the inaugural poll on the site that was worked on for months to pick the fans most popular choice, because of what a handful of people said on a message board? Kind of defeats the purpose of the FYI site, if that was the real reason.

• Like 5

So what you're really saying is that the bilderburg group chooses the movies you watch.

• Like 1

I've read that during promotion for the movie they distributed pages and pages of backstory for the After Earth universe, so they definitely had plans for a franchise.

I also wouldn't completely rule out a sequel either. Although it's bombed here, there's a good chance it could make a ton of money overseas, like The Last Airbender and all of Will Smiths movies. And even if it just barely makes a profit I could see Will, whose company produced it, wanting to make another one to prove all the naysayers wrong.

I would actually be surprised if there's not a sequel eventually, Will Smith's ego is way to big to just let it go.

If what he said to "Collider.com" is true then he will only appear in 2 more films in the franchise...

http://www.slashfilm...-enough-for-me/

I guess I will have to see this now because my girlfriend really wants to see it for no reason, too. Please just bring the heat when you do it though beause if you guys don't come correct and I have to sit through this terrible movie with no payoff I'm going to be extra sad.

I've read that during promotion for the movie they distributed pages and pages of backstory for the After Earth universe, so they definitely had plans for a franchise.

I also wouldn't completely rule out a sequel either. Although it's bombed here, there's a good chance it could make a ton of money overseas, like The Last Airbender and all of Will Smiths movies. And even if it just barely makes a profit I could see Will, whose company produced it, wanting to make another one to prove all the naysayers wrong.

I would actually be surprised if there's not a sequel eventually, Will Smith's ego is way to big to just let it go.

Yeah, but Airbender was supposed to have a couple of sequels and I believe they are in limbo at best. I also have a feeling that this isn't going to develop a cult following ala Sucker Punch.

Why does everyone hate Will Smith all of a sudden? I realize his past few films haven't been great and his kids are sort of overexposed, but why the animosity? I've noticed the same thing with Anne Hathaway lately. You don't care for them, okay, but where did the spite come from?

NOTE: I don't mean anyone on this board specifically, just in general. And despite the AWFUL butterfly ending, I think I Am Legend is a thoroughly entertaining sci-fi thriller.

• Like 2

I can't believe you guys got us in trouble with Dad!

• Like 3

I'm only not doing The Happening because you all complain about us not doing it so much.

I hate when Paul doesn't not do The Happening.

Kind of defeats the purpose of the FYI site, if that was the real reason.

And to pick not second, but third place as the inaugural winner really makes me question what it would actually take to get these guys to see a movie.

• Like 1

Why does everyone hate Will Smith all of a sudden? I realize his past few films haven't been great and his kids are sort of overexposed, but why the animosity? I've noticed the same thing with Anne Hathaway lately. You don't care for them, okay, but where did the spite come from?

NOTE: I don't mean anyone on this board specifically, just in general. And despite the AWFUL butterfly ending, I think I Am Legend is a thoroughly entertaining sci-fi thriller.

I have nothing against Will Smith personally, other than it was a terrible, selfish decision to make his son the lead in a blockbuster like After Earth. It was nepotism at its worst (in the film industry, that is) and it must be very hard for Jaden to be totally panned in the way that he has been by critics.

• Like 2

. I also have a feeling that this isn't going to develop a cult following ala Sucker Punch.

Haha, what? Sucker Punch has a cult following where? In my butt?

The public can turn on big celebrities very quickly, with very little reason. Remember how much people were freaking out because Tom Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch? But then, he said some weird shit about Brooke Shields, then became the most well-known Scientologist out there and here we are now.

Regarding Will Smith, his film career has been getting kinda meh -- nothing terrible, but nothing amazing (probably the best performance of his I've seen was the Ali biopic). And it's known that he's a Scientologist, a cult/religion/wackadoo club that doesn't sit well with most people. There was that thing during the Men In Black 3 filming, where he parked his 53 foot trailer in SoHo for the duration; that pissed off a bunch of New Yorkers and gave him some bad press. And then the minor backlash against "I Whip My Hair" (which I thought was a fun song).

He's at a point right now where he could go either way. I don't think there's a lot of Smith hate, it just appears that way right now. Signal to noise ratio, vocal minority in the press/entertainment media, etc and all that.

I just wish he would throw Jazzy Jeff a bone once in a while. Those guys should make a single or something, that would be a bigger deal than After Erf.

And to pick not second, but third place as the inaugural winner really makes me question what it would actually take to get these guys to see a movie.

one out of three actually seems like a good hit rate

Yeah, but Airbender was supposed to have a couple of sequels and I believe they are in limbo at best. I also have a feeling that this isn't going to develop a cult following ala Sucker Punch.

That's a good point about there originally going to be Airbender sequels and I agree with you for the most part, but I still think there could be an After Earth 2. Because Will's production company produced it and because of how brutal the critics have been towards the film and his son, I think his ego is too big to not want to prove everyone wrong. And he certainly has the money and connections to do a sequel if he really wants to, as long as it performs as well overseas as I think it will.

I agree with Justin, it's not that we've turned on him it's just that this movie not only sucked but he gave the lead role to his son who is just not ready to carry this type of movie.

I also think his film choices have not been very inspired lately, he seems more concerened with if a movie will make 200 million than whether or not it will challenge him as an actor, or if the movie will be any good or not.

I think the reasons he gave for turning down Django Unchained show that his process for picking roles is a little flawed.

I already ranted about this movie in the After Earth suggestion thread, and I'm telling you people. DONT SEE IT. IT'S NOT FUN. It's not the kind of bonkers Shyamalan that you can enjoy. It just kind of is. Everyone is boring and it's boring.

Nevertheless, I am excited to hear the gang's disappointment next week. It might numb my pain even if it won't get me my $10 back.

• Like 4

I agree with Justin, it's not that we've turned on him it's just that this movie not only sucked but he gave the lead role to his son who is just not ready to carry this type of movie.

I also think his film choices have not been very inspired lately, he seems more concerened with if a movie will make 200 million than whether or not it will challenge him as an actor, or if the movie will be any good or not.

I think the reasons he gave for turning down Django Unchained show that his process for picking roles is a little flawed.

Yeah his interview about why he turned down that role, as it seems to be the same reason he turned down the Neo role in the Matrix, is really showing his ego. Add to the fact that this movie was produced almost solely by members of the Smith/Pinkett families or is a friend of those families, shows how they have lost touch with the Hollywood environment. And after it was revealed that Will Smith was basically the director of this movie and M. Night was only hired for blocking, this was Smith's Battlefield Earth.

• Like 1

I think the most egregious part of Will's nepotism is that his own character shows no emotion until literally the last scene in a 90 minute screen time - meaning in a movie that is basically a 2-hander, Jaden is left to put across ALL of the emotional complications in the father-son relationship.

Not only did he make Jaden carry every important scene, but also put him in the sole position to get the gravity of the whole story across to the audience. But let's just assume that Will is totally ignorant of his son's pisspoor acting ability. M Night certainly was not - and chose to just go along with the plan to make a payday, rather than be honest with his star.

The result is a 14-year-old kid gets trashed by every major film critic in the world.

• Like 4

I think the most egregious part of Will's nepotism is that his own character shows no emotion until literally the last scene in a 90 minute screen time - meaning in a movie that is basically a 2-hander, Jaden is left to put across ALL of the emotional complications in the father-son relationship.

Not only did he make Jaden carry every important scene, but also put him in the sole position to get the gravity of the whole story across to the audience. But let's just assume that Will is totally ignorant of his son's pisspoor acting ability. M Night certainly was not - and chose to just go along with the plan to make a payday, rather than be honest with his star.

The result is a 14-year-old kid gets trashed by every major film critic in the world.

God damn, that's poetic.

Sign in to follow this