🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ocean_machine

The Internship

As The Onion pointed out, all of the jokes are from eight years ago. It should be a disaster.

As I said in another thread, I seriously can't imagine anybody these days saying, "Oh boy! A new Vince Vaughn film!" (You could say the same thing for Owen Wilson, as well.) The Onion is partly responsible for my impressions, by the way. Yes, there was this story from today, but also this story (from so long ago that it's about being on "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien").

ETA: Also, maybe the few commercials I've seen don't explain it, but why would two guys who know next to nothing about computers or the Internet be considered for an internship at Google amongst people who actually know what they're doing?

ETA: Also, maybe the few commercials I've seen don't explain it, but why would two guys who know next to nothing about computers or the Internet be considered for an internship at Google amongst people who actually know what they're doing?

Tech affirmative action.

• Like 1

As The Onion pointed out, all of the jokes are from eight years ago. It should be a disaster.

The Onion thinks calling a little black girl a cunt is high-minded satire. Their take on what is funny or not should be disregarded by anyone who has two brain cells to rub together.

That wasn't really the point of the joke, though. The point of the joke is the idea of some asshole calling celebrities dicks and assholes and directing at someone who in no way deserves it. They didn't call her an asshole because she is black or that they believed she was a cunt, they tweeted that because she's a sweet talented girl in a world where everyone is scrutinized and judged. If it was anyone else, the joke doesn't really work, it's just ugly and what a lot of live-tweeters do. But the point is offhandedly saying something completely ugly about celebrity is pretty par for the course for a lot of live-tweeters and there's humour in showing just how ugly that is by directing it at someone no right thinking person would EVER say that about: a sweet little 6 year old who did a fantastic job acting in a movie.

EDIT: Also the Onion AV Club which reviews movies is a largely different entity than the Onion itself

• Like 1

was going to get into the onion/quvenzhane thing but dont want to derail this thread but vaughn/wilson do complement each other well and are definitely greater than the sum of their parts, not that i find myself wanting to actually watch them do anything for $8

I am kind of morbidly curious about the movie. I don't know if it is HDTGM material or not, but it's hard not to be fascinated by a movie that is based around product placement. That said, there's potential humour in a story about dinosaurs trying to catch up with modern day stuff, but the movie looks abyssmal. Also, if you are going to tell that story, maybe you shouldn't have actors who, despite not being young, are too young to be guys who DON'T KNOW WHAT THE INTERNET IS! If the movie seemed weirder about it and less generic, that would be one thing, but it's genericness makes the whole thing seem wrong-headed.

That wasn't really the point of the joke, though. The point of the joke is the idea of some asshole calling celebrities dicks and assholes and directing at someone who in no way deserves it. They didn't call her an asshole because she is black or that they believed she was a cunt, they tweeted that because she's a sweet talented girl in a world where everyone is scrutinized and judged. If it was anyone else, the joke doesn't really work, it's just ugly and what a lot of live-tweeters do. But the point is offhandedly saying something completely ugly about celebrity is pretty par for the course for a lot of live-tweeters and there's humour in showing just how ugly that is by directing it at someone no right thinking person would EVER say that about: a sweet little 6 year old who did a fantastic job acting in a movie.

EDIT: Also the Onion AV Club which reviews movies is a largely different entity than the Onion itself

Nope. That b.s. doesn't fly at all. For a couple of reasons:

1) There are people who would call a black child all sorts of horrible names. There is definitive proof that the person who wrote the tweet is one of those people because we're talking about it now. Another hipster favorite, Vice Magazine, until recently employed an outright racist. Giving two shits about the feelings of minorities is not a prerequisite for employment at either place.

2) Why did The Onion only feel comfortable calling Quevenzhane this name? The same "joke" was there to be had when Abigail Breslin was at the Oscars? The same joke was to be had when Chole Moretz was doing award shows? Why only make the joke at the expense of a little black girl? The amount of pissed out people would have been 10 times as high had they made that joke about a little, blonde white girl.

3) There were many different competing versions of a rationalization to explain what happened; all of them were bullshit, including the one you just posted. Some people thought that it was a continuation of a "joke" that Seth McFarlane started in one of his stupid songs. Others thought that it was a commentary on the fact that she was correcting people on they should pronounce her name or how some thought she was acting "haughty". All of these conflicting interpretations mean that there was no clear "joke". All the The Onion did was call a little girl a cunt and then leave it up to the reader to interpret what was behind it. You can't just call people names and then expect everyone to only attribute only the best and most noble qualities/motives to you. That's fucking bullshit. That's making a joke in the way Rush Limbaugh was when he called that Georgetown law student a slut. That's make a joke in the way Ann Coulter does when she says she wants to kill all Muslims or convert them to Christianity. They weren't really making a joke, they were just being assholes.

• Like 1

Nope. That b.s. doesn't fly at all. For a couple of reasons:

1) There are people who would call a black child all sorts of horrible names. There is definitive proof that the person who wrote the tweet is one of those people because we're talking about it now. Another hipster favorite, Vice Magazine, until recently employed an outright racist. Giving two shits about the feelings of minorities is not a prerequisite for employment at either place.

2) Why did The Onion only feel comfortable calling Quevenzhane this name? The same "joke" was there to be had when Abigail Breslin was at the Oscars? The same joke was to be had when Chole Moretz was doing award shows? Why only make the joke at the expense of a little black girl? The amount of pissed out people would have been 10 times as high had they made that joke about a little, blonde white girl.

3) There were many different competing versions of a rationalization to explain what happened; all of them were bullshit, including the one you just posted. Some people thought that it was a continuation of a "joke" that Seth McFarlane started in one of his stupid songs. Others thought that it was a commentary on the fact that she was correcting people on they should pronounce her name or how some thought she was acting "haughty". All of these conflicting interpretations mean that there was no clear "joke". All the The Onion did was call a little girl a cunt and then leave it up to the reader to interpret what was behind it. You can't just call people names and then expect everyone to only attribute only the best and most noble qualities/motives to you. That's fucking bullshit. That's making a joke in the way Rush Limbaugh was when he called that Georgetown law student a slut. That's make a joke in the way Ann Coulter does when she says she wants to kill all Muslims or convert them to Christianity. They weren't really making a joke, they were just being assholes.

I know people feel very strongly about this, but could we maybe try to steer the topic back towards the movie?

The trailers for this movie just made me sad. I kept thinking everyone involved was better than this.

• Like 1

I know people feel very strongly about this, but could we maybe try to steer the topic back towards the movie?

No problem. This movie is sucks, and poor Aasif Mandvi can't catch a break after leaving the Daily Show.

The trailers for this movie just made me sad. I kept thinking everyone involved was better than this.

I'm starting to think was Vince Vaughn ever funny.

In his first few comedic roles and Wedding Crashers, but these are basically all the same character.

I think he can be funny when he has a solid partner to bounce off of. But he's a little one-note.

Oh and Aasif is still on The Daily Show. He was on Monday night.

I think he can be funny when he has a solid partner to bounce off of. But he's a little one-note.

Both Vaughn and Wilson used to be pretty good comedic actors, Wilson even co-wrote Andersons first 3 films, but their choice in roles has changed quite a bit. I doubt they even read the script of a movie like this or a Couples Retreat, all they worry about is what they'll make and know they'll have a good time making a movie together.

I don't think Vince Vaughn has been funny in anything since the Gus Van Sant Psycho remake.

• Like 1

I don't think Vince Vaughn has been funny in anything since the Gus Van Sant Psycho remake.

Nothing funny about that except that Van Sant felt the need to do a shot-for-shot remake EXCEPT add one extra scene that shows Vince Vaughn masturbating.

When I first moved to Portland, I saw Van Sant a couple times dropping off young twinks outside of clubs.

Nothing funny about that except that Van Sant felt the need to do a shot-for-shot remake EXCEPT add one extra scene that shows Vince Vaughn masturbating.

I don't know why, but I always laugh a little when I watch that movie. Maybe it's his delivery or just my inability to take him seriously.

No problem. This movie is sucks, and poor Aasif Mandvi can't catch a break after leaving the Daily Show.

Now there's something everyone can agree on. Poor Aasif.

Now there's something everyone can agree on. Poor Aasif.

A while back, I found this interview with Aasif, where he is promoting The Last Airbender. He was talking about how exited he was about the movie, but you could easily tell he knew it was garbage. Very depressing.

That's what he gets for firing Peter Parker way back in "Spider-Man 2". Karma's a bitch, yo...

When I first moved to Portland, I saw Van Sant a couple times dropping off young twinks outside of clubs.

Speaking of Mr. Van Sant, who in the WORLD could that plaid-clad gentleman sitting to the left of Titus Welliver (and right in front of Frances McDormand's ass) in the under-seen "Promised Land" possibly be? Annnnnd that didn't work. Why can't I ever get pictures to work? Maybe this time it will...

post-26937-0-25137600-1371282872_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this