🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 39 — The Documentary Files

Documentary filmmaker Jeffrey Schwarz stops by to discuss his impressive career on today’s episode of The Fogelnest Files! Jeffrey is the director of several documentary features including, “Spine Tingler: The William Castle Story,” the HBO documentary, “Vito” about legendary gay activist, Vito Russo and the upcoming “I Am Divine,” a definitive documentary about the John Waters icon. Plus, a bonus phone conversation with Jeremy Newberger, co-director of the documentary “Évocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Story,” which is out June 7th in theaters and on VOD. Watch all the clips festured on today’s show at YouTube.com/thefogelnestfiles

Great episode. My queue of amazing new docs to see is once again full. Back when Netflix slowed down its intake of new movies, I ended up using it as a documentary engine, and that's basically all I watch now. For The Bible Tells Me So is a good one with similar themes to today's show.

I love, love, LOVE this stuff. I used to watch black and white movies every weekend with my dad. Those old horror flicks and "who-dun-its" are amazing. I still watch TCM saturday mornings. Awesome episode Jake.

Jeremy Newberger called into this weeks Best Show on WFMU to talk about Evocateur. They talk for about an hour and it is fascinating. I highly recommend listening to it.

• Like 1

Jeremy Newberger called into this weeks Best Show on WFMU to talk about Evocateur. They talk for about an hour and it is fascinating. I highly recommend listening to it.

It was actually Seth Kramer, one of the other co-directors of the movie. But yes, highly reccomended by me as well. Scharpling blew Seth Kramer's mind by revealing the depths of his Morton Downey fandom -- Tom revealed that he has a "mint condition" Morton Downey board game (who knew there was such a thing?), amongst other paraphernalia. I believe Tom also said he still has a ticket for one of Downey's show tapings ... a ticket he never used because he "chickened out".

I'm gonna have to see that movie. The experience will probably scar me, but I'm gonna have to see it.

(Side note: I saw "Room 237" because of the Fogelnest Files, and I'm very glad that I did. It was a cool movie to see in a theater with a good sound system. Somehow, a movie with (unseen) speakers theorizing about The Shining was totally immersive and captivating).

• Like 1

Yup, Tom's interview with Seth Kramer was awesome. Morton Downey Jr's influence Joe Pyne and Bob Grant are totally where Tom gets the "Get off my phone" stuff from!

• Like 2

It was actually Seth Kramer, one of the other co-directors of the movie. But yes, highly reccomended by me as well. Scharpling blew Seth Kramer's mind by revealing the depths of his Morton Downey fandom -- Tom revealed that he has a "mint condition" Morton Downey board game (who knew there was such a thing?), amongst other paraphernalia. I believe Tom also said he still has a ticket for one of Downey's show tapings ... a ticket he never used because he "chickened out".

I'm gonna have to see that movie. The experience will probably scar me, but I'm gonna have to see it.

(Side note: I saw "Room 237" because of the Fogelnest Files, and I'm very glad that I did. It was a cool movie to see in a theater with a good sound system. Somehow, a movie with (unseen) speakers theorizing about The Shining was totally immersive and captivating).

I realized my mistake in saying it was Newberger when it was actually Kramer after I posted that, oops. Regardless great talk.