๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
seanotron

Now You See Me (2013)

SPOILER!!!

ย 

Mark Ruffalo's character is the detective that is investigating them, but it turns out that the whole time he was the son of a magician who disappeared performing a trick and assembled the group of magicians (that he is investigating) to rob banks using magic tricks. It makes even less sense when you see the movie because you're probably thinking that it's set up like The Usual Suspects or something, being told to you by an unreliable narrator, but it's told in a third person, unnarrated style (ala Swordfish).

I just remembered that "Swordfish" is the ultimate "everyone is an asshole" movie.

ย 

gabriel-shear.jpg

ย 

How could he be anything BUT an asshole with that facial hair?

Can someone give me a brief plot summary and what the "twist" is? I have no interest in seeing the movie but I'm curious as to why it's generating this discussion.

ย 

This movie has neither plot nor characters; it's just a series of random CGI events strung together.

• Like 2

SPOILER!!!

ย 

Mark Ruffalo's character is the detective that is investigating them, but it turns out that the whole time he was the son of a magician who disappeared performing a trick and assembled the group of magicians (that he is investigating) to rob banks using magic tricks. It makes even less sense when you see the movie because you're probably thinking that it's set up like The Usual Suspects or something, being told to you by an unreliable narrator, but it's told in a third person, unnarrated style (ala Swordfish).

I didn't know what the twist was, and I had no interest in seeing it, but at my theater, total mindfuck twists seem to generate a lot of "That was the BEST ending ever" discussion amongst customers coming out of movies, whether they're good or bad or make any sense or not. It's like the stupid popcorn movie equivalent of someone dying at the end of a chick flick. You just have to send them out on that note, and that's all they seem to remember, and that's enough to trick them into thinking they just saw something amazing.

• Like 2

That is a good assessment PlanB. Honestly I think had this movie gone the more predictable route of having it be a different agent it would have been a better (but not great) movie because even though it would have been predictable it would have made sense.

I've seen enough movies with plot twists that I'm generally able to figure out where movies are going, so I try to not let that get in the way of watching a movie. If they are able to catch me off guard in a way that makes sense then they get extra credit, but if I see where it's going and they do it in an entertaining manner of getting there then I am fine with that.

They should have just called it Assholes: The Movie.

ย 

That's the prequel to "The Moles," the Adam Scott-inspired flick where everyone is a mole.

• Like 1

I just remembered that "Swordfish" is the ultimate "everyone is an asshole" movie.

ย 

gabriel-shear.jpg

ย 

ย 

The funniest thing about Swordfish is that Hugh Jackman is a computer programmer! A computer programmer?! Jackman, who has the body to play Wolverine is also believable as a person who sits at a desk for long stretches of time...a person who reads and writes code for a living. I laughed so hard at that. It's like the Rebecca Romijn and all of these male models are the CSI techs on NTSF:SD:SUV. It makes no damn sense.

This movie felt like the entire time they were saying "hey we're gonna have a twist!" "Betcha can't guess what our twist is gonna be!" "ooh man you're gonna be so impressed by our twist that you won't see coming!" but then like seantron said when it comes it makes no sense at all and feels like a twist for the sake of having a twist. It's like on April Fools day someone telling you how they're going to prank you so hard and you're on the lookout for it and at the end of the day they punch you in the nuts.

ย 

Am I too late for this.. did someone say twist!!!

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhhQhqi_AE

ย 

I enjoyed this movie for what it was. I am a big penn and teller fan and I was so glad they didn't use the song

in this movie. as that would of been, the kiss of death for me. other then that I was sorta happy with it. I like Woody Harrelson so as soon as I had seen him in the film I am not going to hate it. even if he is playing a amazing kreskin type mentalist.

I am hoping the team will consider dedicating a show to the magical smugfest / blockbuster wannabe from the summer of 2013 - Now You See Me. i remember seeing the trailer for this and thinking that it couldnt possibly be that bad, well it was, oh boy - was it ever. Quite possibly the most complicated/convoluted and outright stupid magic/con trick in movie history where once again we see a pack of "crazy" personalities risk endless innocent lives in the pursuit of their own fame. Jessie Eisenberg's character in this film may very well be the single smuggest character in any film ever - how people in that world would not just constantly be beating the crud out of him is beyond me. The things this movie asks you to believe are awesome. The amount of things that need to happen for these "magic tricks" to work is insane. And its all wrapped up in a team of lovable scamps who are all constantly performing magic tricks on one another with wry sarcastic attitudes - what a delight! This is a film that brings Michel Caine back to JAws 4 levels of bad, makes Morgan Freeman look subpar, and even gets the best of the endlessly liable Mark Ruffalo. This thing was a mess and I hope you decide to have a look at it - and then wash your eyes with vinegar.

• Like 1

Whoops sorry - I did a search for the movie and nothing came up. Still - enjoyed seanotrons take on it. Glad to know I'm not insane. Also 48 hrs later, I still really want to punch Jessie Eisenberg - hard.

Spoiler

ย 

How about that "amazing" car chase on the bridge where they destroy a corpse, threaten hundreds of innocent drivers, commandeer a bus and almost blow up the secret "5th horseman" ?!?! Since when did magicians become such gigantic dickweeds? Also - is it not mandatory with big showy magic films that someone has a magic trick that is 20+ years old and hidden from everyone? Prestige...illusionist...there's gotta be more...

I enjoyed the first half of this movie, and then holy crap does it lose its mind. Agreed, there would be fodder in here for days, paritcularly that plot twist. Blood still boiling from this one.

Months later and I still hate this movie so much. The only reason I can come up with as to why I didn't walk out is that I must have been so in awe of the stupidity that it immobilized me. I think this movie might actually cause brain damage.

• Like 3

Months later and I still hate this movie so much. The only reason I can come up with as to why I didn't walk out is that I must have been so in awe of the stupidity that it immobilized me. I think this movie might actually cause brain damage.

ย 

100% agreed. I couldn't look away.

Just adding my vote here -- this movie would be perfect for HDTGM. It so ludicrous and with such big name talent appearing on screen. I sunk into this movie during a day long movie watching spree (fun-employment, yeahhhhhhh) and just could not believe my eyes and ears. Too many WTFs, one after the other. And that twist! I wanted to punch some one, really fucking hard.

ย 

I don't disagree about High Tension, that movie was terrible.

ย 

ย 

* Possible spoilers for "High Tension" *

I liked "High Tension" and I think that there is a set up (sort of) for the twist in the beginning where Marie has a dream that is mirrored at the end of the movie and throughout the movie when Alex is bound and gagged every time that Marie gets close to her she cringes and cries... Now we don't get any explanation for the sudden appearance of the bug exterminator truck/van

ย 

As for "Now you see me" I saw it in theaters and fell for the first card trick and thought it was cool, but because of "the twist" (that effectively kills all the tension and makes the stakes and motivations pointless) for me this is a movie that has low re-watch value ( If none ) and I consider that after 1 or 2 viewings there's nothing more to see.

ย 

Also I expected some kind of surprise in the last shot... NOPE! only a underwater shot of keys and a cut to black then credits...

ย 

For me it's a "Meh" Movie that promises a lot when it begins but takes the "safe clichรฉd road" at the end...

Not only is this film bad, but it's 'unfair' to the audience. A twist should allow the audience to follow it back and understand it's finer points and impact on plot relevant moments. You might as well cut out 90 percent of this film as it's irrelevant to the story and has no relevance to the nonsense twist. The 10 percent remaining is wholely uninteresting and borderline retarded.

ย 

This would be a fun one to hear to the group try and come up with goofy explanations for any character motivations though:

ย 

"So...are we to think...<sigh>...at this moment in the film...not at the end when we know that was all BS and doesn't make any sense except as a ridiculous forced contrivance...and fuck all for the character motivations in that moment...and I really want to get to that right now too...<sigh>...but at the moment that we are first exposed to this scene...<sigh>...I just realized I can't address this yet without going forward a little bit and then addressing an earlier contrivance to nowhere...<sigh>..."

ย 

Literally any moment in this film...

ย 

Edit: Film is russian nesting doll of retarded making it extremely difficult to discuss, but should yield wealth of hilarious commentary.

• Like 3

I keep seeing this movie listed on HBO on my guide and just the mere appearance of the name is making me mad at the twist.

• Like 1

I visited Paris with my wife last month and of course we visited the Pont des Arts and all I could think about was that it was the place where the shitty reveal took place. I only wish I had a copy of this movie to throw into the Siene, but that would be a cruel act of pollution.

• Like 4

Something tells me that the script or a early cut of the film ( at some point ) featured more of Lionel Shrike (Elias Koteas) but because of running time time or possible negative reaction before its final release, the ending was changed to the "Explain everything in the final scene" version

ย 

If you go to chapter 11 on the "Now You See Me" DVD ( or fast forward to the 1 Hour 19 Minutes 43 Seconds Mark ) You can see sort of a quick clue in the scene where Dave Franco and Mark Ruffalo go down the building trash/garbage chute... And that is why I think that there are parts of this movie left on the cutting room floor...

If you go to chapter 11 on the "Now You See Me" DVD ( or fast forward to the 1 Hour 19 Minutes 43 Seconds Mark ) You can see sort of a quick clue in the scene where Dave Franco and Mark Ruffalo go down the building trash/garbage chute... And that is why I think that there are parts of this movie left on the cutting room floor...

ย 

This would require me to give money and time to this movie again, something I will never do.

• Like 3

This movie is horrible and deserves to be ripped apart by the three with a special guest for an hour.

I am dumbfounded by the replies in this thread, absolutely dumbfounded. This movie was easily a 7 out of 10 and it was a lot of fun to watch, and I wasn't confused or upset by any explanation. And there's no way ever this movie will ever be done on the podcast, never, and I'm pretty sure damn near everyone would agree, including Paul, Jason and June. Enough said