🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 64 — After Earth

I'm pretty sure you can find the episode on podcast.com, if anybody's looking for it.

I knew PFT was on a previous show, I just couldn't find it.

Also, I will forever love this episode just because June says "Oh No" when she realized she was going to be the joke.

• Like 2

Also, I will forever love this episode just because June says "Oh No" when she realized she was going to be the joke.

Seconded! I kept expecting Jason to ask if she thought they were human beings!

Sounds like they ripped off Hyperion a little bit. Glad it bombed

This was hilarious, thanks for keeping me entertained while at work.

One thing to note though, I do think that Jayden had a bit of an accent in Karate kid but much less pronounced. My theory is that they have hired a British nanny who babies him while Will is away working on real movies. That's why Will doesn't have the accent and Jayden's is even more pronounced when he's crying.

i felt like doing this to everyone during the episode.. thanks how did this get made truly hysterical!

tumblr_mnpjv9ELFu1rkah0to1_500.gif

This was hilarious, thanks for keeping me entertained while at work.

One thing to note though, I do think that Jayden had a bit of an accent in Karate kid but much less pronounced. My theory is that they have hired a British nanny who babies him while Will is away working on real movies. That's why Will doesn't have the accent and Jayden's is even more pronounced when he's crying.

The accents are on purpose, they just slip in and out of them and by the end seem to have forgotten they ever had them. There are interviews with Will Smith & Jaden where they talk about working with an accent coach to create that 'original' accent. It sounded like a cross between an Atlanta accent and a South African accent, but I couldn't really make heads or tails of it.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-5-31/screenwriter-reveals-after-earth-wasnt-meant-be-sci-fi-movie

"Will always wanted to tell a kind of father and son bonding story. In fact, it wasn’t a science fiction movie originally to begin with. It was set modern day, and Will and Jaden were military father and son who were on a trip to Alaska."

The sci-fi aspects of the movie as so poorly thought out and tacked on, it totally makes sense that the original idea wasn't sci-fi at all.

http://www.blastr.co...be-sci-fi-movie

The sci-fi aspects of the movie as so poorly thought out and tacked on, it totally makes sense that the original idea wasn't sci-fi at all.

Considering that Will came up with the original idea after watching I Shouldn't Be Alive, it's kind of a surprise that it even got made at all.

Great episode. I was a little skeptical when a lot of people said the movie was just boring and wouldn't make great HDTGM fodder, but all fears were allayed when PFT's face greeted me on the main page. And everyone delivered the goods.

I don't know the exact quote, but I thought the most meme-able moment was "Guys, does this make me a Scientologist?"

• Like 1

The accents are on purpose, they just slip in and out of them and by the end seem to have forgotten they ever had them. There are interviews with Will Smith & Jaden where they talk about working with an accent coach to create that 'original' accent. It sounded like a cross between an Atlanta accent and a South African accent, but I couldn't really make heads or tails of it.

So this really is Will Smith's Battlefield Earth as I remember John Travolta constantly changing his accent in that movie.

What really confused me is why everybody chose not to use guns. If you had guns, you wouldn't even have to worry about hiding your fear, because you could just kill the Ursas without even getting near them!

Also, why are the aliens called Ursas? The name suggests that they are bear-like in some way, yet they look and act absolutely nothing like bears.

Just a guess, but the planet they come from is from a star in ursa major or ursa minor?

Oh man, this movie... Will Smith actually turned down the lead in Django Unchained & then decided to do this movie. Smith even personally hand-picked M. Night to direct this garbage himself! And in interviews everyone involved with the movie has said M. Night's only job was the visuals of the movie. Will Smith was in charge of directing actors (including Jaden) in their emotional performances. As far as I'm concerned this heap of garbage is entirely on Will Smith's shoulders.

Some really random I loved, PFT commenting on Paul asking June how she was. Because honestly, after I realized they were married (a fact I didn't know until I looked up June), I've ALWAYS thought it was a little weird/hilarious.

Overall, this podcast was great. The whole 30 seconds where it's basically just the guys laughing KILLED ME. So funny.

• Like 1

Oh man, this movie... Will Smith actually turned down the lead in Django Unchained & then decided to do this movie. Smith even personally hand-picked M. Night to direct this garbage himself! And in interviews everyone involved with the movie has said M. Night's only job was the visuals of the movie. Will Smith was in charge of directing actors (including Jaden) in their emotional performances. As far as I'm concerned this heap of garbage is entirely on Will Smith's shoulders.

Will Smith has an established history of turning down memorable roles for shit (Wild, Wild West instead of the Matrix). And this movie was his pet project. He picked a director who wouldn't be getting major jobs otherwise who would curtail to Will's whims, he was responsible for the story, and the producers were either members of the Smith or Pinkett family or were a friend of Will Smith for years.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned this heap of garbage is entirely on Will Smith's shoulders.

fresh-prince-crying.gif

• Like 4

It would be so amazing if Paul would live tweet June watching a movie...complete with pics/video...I would pay to watch that.

I also wanted to just ask, does anyone else feel that Jaden Smith has aged quite a bit? I didn't see this or The Karate Kid, but based on the photos of him from both movies, it looked like he went from 13 to 22 in 3 years. Seeing the trailer and poster for this, both Jaden and Will looked very old and it was just unsettling for me.

Twenty-nine sword settings! Act now and we'll throw in a bonus sword with a DRAGON on the BLADE.

• Like 1

What this movie didn't tell you: Those that went to Nova Frincham, or whatever, were actually just the useless third of the Earth's population. The rest stayed behind and lived happily ever after until they were all wiped out by a plague contracted from an unsanitized phone.

;)

There's a couple of stupid plot points that I thought should be cleared up (not that they really matter). The opening sequence says humans evacuated earth 1000 years ago. When they got to the new planet some "aliens" dropped the "ursas" on the planet - which were specifically designed to kill humans. Bizarrely the aliens are never really mentioned or explained - or even given a name. Then apparently the humans were helpless until Cypher Raige - the "original ghost" - developed his ghosting technique. Of course this makes no sense. Were the ursas dropped on the planet a thousand years ago? How long ago then? If Cypher was the first to develop ghosting, wouldn't the humans have been wiped out long before he was born? If the ursas were designed, why don't they have eyes and why didn't the aliens just re-design them to compensate for the ghosting technique? Also, why would the plants and animals be designed to kill humans if humans left the planet 1000 years ago? It would make no sense. Anyways, just a few of the many things that made no sense about this film.

• Like 2

Great episode! Loved Paul F. Tompkins.

Didn't see this one because I'd rather just hear the glee ya'll have in dissecting it. But if these monsters only see fear how do they not keep running into trees? I doubt it would inspire fear if it kept doing pratfalls because it's blind.

There's a couple of stupid plot points that I thought should be cleared up (not that they really matter). The opening sequence says humans evacuated earth 1000 years ago. When they got to the new planet some "aliens" dropped the "ursas" on the planet - which were specifically designed to kill humans. Bizarrely the aliens are never really mentioned or explained - or even given a name. Then apparently the humans were helpless until Cypher Raige - the "original ghost" - developed his ghosting technique. Of course this makes no sense. Were the ursas dropped on the planet a thousand years ago? How long ago then? If Cypher was the first to develop ghosting, wouldn't the humans have been wiped out long before he was born? If the ursas were designed, why don't they have eyes and why didn't the aliens just re-design them to compensate for the ghosting technique? Also, why would the plants and animals be designed to kill humans if humans left the planet 1000 years ago? It would make no sense. Anyways, just a few of the many things that made no sense about this film.

So then are the aliens dropping the "ursas" onto humanity to destroy them an allusion to Xenu dropping the alien ghost souls onto humans to completely fuck them up?