🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 64 — After Earth

That's not really how the scene played out nor were they trying to portray the black people as bad guys. She asks them to get out, the camera focuses on the two black guys in the background and the douchebag says fuck no, without either of them ever making it seem like they're about to get out. She then calls them out for being racist, which I think they were trying to show what a stupid dick the douchebag is and how the geeky kid is afraid of everything, then Duplass calls her and tells her they'll have to meet up some other time because in an earler scene she made him think they were being followed.

Nope, how I wrote it is exactly how the scene plays out. She asked them to get out, they ask where they are AND THEN the camera focuses on two black people minding their business. Both the geek and the douchebag cringe and the douchebag says, "Fuck that!" If there is one thing that geeks and douchebags can agree one, is that black people are scary. The director was obviously trying to allude that they were in a "bad" neighborhood or some such shit because of why else would there be two black people out at night talking to each other.

And the geek wasn't scared of everything, he was scared of girls, so unless he was going to try to pick up those dudes he had no reason to be afraid. Well, except they are black and black people are very scary.

It's funny, listening to this episode again, hearing all the proposed ideas and story elements the group either thought were being conveyed or would have been more compelling. I was thinking about the ending and how it could have been more interesting with a little role reversal. Imagine if both Cypher and Kitai were present when the Ursa attacked. Cypher is invisible to the Ursa, but is helpless in his condition to fight. He has to watch while his son is throttled nearly to death by the creature, eventually lying prone on the ground. As the monster goes in for the kill, Cypher suddenly feels fear for the first time in a long time for the life of his child. At this point, with Kitai's fear levels dropping and Cypher's sudden release of pheromones, the Ursa becomes confused and does a 180 towards Cypher. This gives Kitai the time he needs to have his revelation and get to his feet. Then grab your cutlass and it's schnickity schnickity, as per usual.

It would convey a better message about owning your fear, realizing you'll never fully be rid of it, but knowing it can be overcome.

It is a weird thing that they were SOOOOOO close to making a good movie and misstepped so much. I still think the sci-fi stuff could have been thrown out and it would have made a much better movie if father and son were out camping and shit went awry.

I also want to throw in that, watching the trailer for White House Down in the theater, I loved the title card saying something like "They never trained for this." Really? They never trained for an attack on the White House?

My favourite part of the White House Down marketing is that several of the posters for it I've shown show the fucking Capitol Building instead, like both the people who made the film, and the people who the film is supposed to target can't tell the difference.

Nope, how I wrote it is exactly how the scene plays out. She asked them to get out, they ask where they are AND THEN the camera focuses on two black people minding their business. Both the geek and the douchebag cringe and the douchebag says, "Fuck that!" If there is one thing that geeks and douchebags can agree one, is that black people are scary. The director was obviously trying to allude that they were in a "bad" neighborhood or some such shit because of why else would there be two black people out at night talking to each other.

And the geek wasn't scared of everything, he was scared of girls, so unless he was going to try to pick up those dudes he had no reason to be afraid. Well, except they are black and black people are very scary.

You may be right, I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but one thing I know you left out is her calling them racist for not wanting to get out, which I feel makes a big difference. Obviously everybody will interpret movies differently but to me by her commenting that they were being racist, they were using it as a chance to show yet another flaw the douchebag has. As far as the geek, I don't think he would have wanted to get out in the middle of the night in a place he's never been no matter if there were black or white people, based on how he acted through out the movie.

And while it has nothing to do with what you're talking about, it was definitely Duplass who called and said they'd have to meet up some other time.

Earwolf removed The Smurfs episode from the archive after an unnamed person asked them to do so.

Aww man I loved that episode.

I'm not as into it when the gang reviews new movies in theaters... there's no way I'm paying $9 to sit through a bunch of ads to see some crappy M Night movie. Plus my favorite segment is Second Opinions, so there won't be any funny Amazon reviews to goof on.

Wow. Great show. I haven't seen this movie, but it sounds so fucking bonkers and crazy that your discussion of it sounds like the ramblings of a group of schizophrenics :)

Maybe I will see this.

Wow Paul F. has lost a lot of weight! Yet with that mustache he still looks like a Ukrainian landlord.

"I spit on your spit!"

• Like 1

This was hilarious, thanks for keeping me entertained while at work.

One thing to note though, I do think that Jayden had a bit of an accent in Karate kid but much less pronounced. My theory is that they have hired a British nanny who babies him while Will is away working on real movies. That's why Will doesn't have the accent and Jayden's is even more pronounced when he's crying.

Damn, good thinking. I never would have thought of that.

Plus my favorite segment is Second Opinions

You're weird, but don't let that stop you.

Wow Paul F. has lost a lot of weight!

Are you being meta? Like he's dropped the Cake Boss weight? I didn't realize he was chubby or anything.

Thank you!

Man! I knew this movi was going to be bad based on the trailerrs alone. But after hearing this...it sounds WORSE than my low expectations!

Have you ever had the chance to hear him speak? He came to my college during sophomore year and we expected him to talk about African Americans in movies and how we are portrayed in movies and maybe give some insight onto why it is we always have to be the bad guys. (Case in point, there is a movie called "Safety Not Guaranteed" that does this shit. There is a scene where the main characters are asked to stand -- just stand -- in a place where there are two black people talking. Just two black folks minding their own damn business. The characters FREAK THE FUCK OUT and act as if you were asking them to stand in a pit of snakes!)

But all he did was talk about his career and the movies he's made and tell us how we can buy those movies. Also, the Q and A section was just actors handing him their headshots and resumes. It was atrocious.

What movies are you watching? Filmakers go out of their way to portay bad guys as dopey white guys in stupid clothes. Seriously, I would love some examples.

While I disagree with Shariq about Safety Not Guaranteed, there's no denying the way black people have been depicted in movies. I actually thought they did that scene in Safety because of the stereotypical way they have used black people in movies, showing the way middle class white people think of black people based on their depiction in movies, or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

What movies are you watching? Filmakers go out of their way to portay bad guys as dopey white guys in stupid clothes. Seriously, I would love some examples.

I watch movies released by major Hollywood studios. And you've already made up your mind about this subject, so getting a full list won't do a damn thing to change it. Instead I'll suggest that you look up Sut Jhally's work on minority representation in popular media.

I watch movies released by major Hollywood studios. And you've already made up your mind about this subject, so getting a full list won't do a damn thing to change it. Instead I'll suggest that you look up Sut Jhally's work on minority representation in popular media.

On the contrary, I seek enlightenment. I have been wracking my brain on this one. Maybe if you throw me a couple examples I will understand where you're coming from. I assume you are speaking of current or relatively current films, right? Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand.

The whole thing about Ursas not eating people (and monkeys), only killing them, reminded me of the Alien movies. I always wondered if the Xenomorphs ever actually ate anything.

The whole thing about Ursas not eating people (and monkeys), only killing them, reminded me of the Alien movies. I always wondered if the Xenomorphs ever actually ate anything.

Well, the original concept in Alien was the Aliens were incapable of breeding, so any humans they captured they used as incubators for new Aliens or transformed into eggs in order to create facehuggers. There's a cut scene in Alien where they show Dallas and Brett being turned into eggs.

Thanks for the show! It keeps me sane at work. I need more of it, much more. Man alive...

Rocking the hair change and sexy painter look.

I hope you appreciate her contributions to the audio podcast as much as you value her sexiness.

June's exegesis on why Will Smith could "blow out the candles" and Jason's subsequent breathless laughter storm about DID ME IN! I listened to that few minutes of the episode ad nauseum and played it for anyone who would endure a bit of background explanation and my pleading for them to listen and LAUGH along! I LOVE INFECTIOUS LAUGHTER!