🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Blueman29X

Garfield: The Movie

I couldn't find this movie anywhere on the forum so I figured this was worth submitting. Bill Murray has a very funny quote about the movie.

I thought it would be kind of fun, because doing a voice is challenging, and I'd never done that. Plus, I looked at the script, and it said, "So-and-so and Joel Coen." And I thought: Christ, well, I love those Coens! They're funny. So I sorta read a few pages of it and thought, Yeah, I'd like to do that... So they went off and shot the movie, and I forgot all about it. Finally, I went out to L.A. to record my lines. And usually when you're looping a movie, if it takes two days, that's a lot... So I worked all day and kept going, "That's the line? Well, I can't say that." And you sit there and go, What can I say that will make this funny? And make it make sense? And I worked. I was exhausted, soaked with sweat, and the lines got worse and worse. And I said, "Okay, you better show me the whole rest of the movie, so we can see what we're dealing with." So I sat down and watched the whole thing, and I kept saying, "Who the hell cut this thing? Who did this? What the fuck was Coen thinking?" And then they explained it to me: It wasn't written by that Joel Coen.

I don't know if it would work well for the show though.

Bill Murray has said that he did the gig because he was friends with Lorenzo Music (RIP), the original voice actor for Garfield, who also voiced Venkman in the Ghostbusters cartoon.

I'm also pretty sure he was pulling everyone's leg with that whole, 'Oh I thought it was the other Joel Coen' bit. Especially since he went on to do the sequel, by which time he clearly knew who was involved.

Especially since he went on to do the sequel, by which time he clearly knew who was involved.

That, or he was contractually obligated/got a big paycheck. (I lean toward the first.)

That, or he was contractually obligated/got a big paycheck. (I lean toward the first.)

That's likely. I just find it hard to believe that Bill Murray really thought he was working with Joel Coen on a Garfield movie. I think it's more likely he's having a bit of fun with the interviewer.

THAT, or all of his recorded dialog was culled from the outtakes of the first film, or maybe it WAS the dialog from the first film and absolutely no one noticed. That would be so, so awesome if that were the least bit true.

• Like 1

Yup, the movie is absolute crap and I was shocked that someone as talented and legendary as Bill Murray even agreed for such a movie. And yeah, it would make for really great podcast.

Sign in to follow this