🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 29 — Mystery of the Skeletal Chest Crawler

We’re now closer to figuring out what happened to Mildred as our heroes captured some of the skeletal chest crawlers and have locked them up aboard their ship. It’s gonna take some dissecting to uncover the mystery of these little monsters. Spoiler alert: Tacos will be eaten and there will be Game of Thrones talk.

Just about to start listening. My perfectly reasonable expectations for this episode -

1) Vin Diesel is going to turn up, assuming the role of 'pussy-face gas-planet inhabitant #6' (no lines)

2) Stargoyle will be shoved into a small, inescapable box by Amarth. Contained, it'll then be thrown down into the hellish bowels of the gas planet. Brian will immediately level-up for doing the universe a great service.

3) Tras, having unexpectedly made it out of the collector base alive, will return to the adventure, pulling himself - commando style - arm over arm onto one of the floating habitations. Brief awkwardness ensues, but he asserts himself as undisputed leader of the group shortly thereafter. They spend the rest of the episode building a monument to Carn.

I can't wait to hear how much I got right!

So - I was catching up on the Nerdist podcast, and on the Steve Yeun episode, they spend the last few minutes talking about Nerd Poker and how awesome it is. It made me happy.

This episode also made me happy. I kind of want for them to get a lady to let a skelosucker have a go at them for the sake of science. Maybe if someone is awake while it's taking samples, they could figure out what it wants, or how it gets it.

I know it's always said but Sark is amazing, Nerd Poker feels like a modern and crazy radio drama. Sir Dick's passive-aggression was the highlight of the episode.

• Like 3

2) Stargoyle will be shoved into a small, inescapable box by Amarth. Contained, it'll then be thrown down into the hellish bowels of the gas planet. Brian will immediately level-up for doing the universe a great service.

Anyone who wishes harm unto Stargoyle should be thrown into the hellish bowels of the gas planet, thus doing the universe a great service.

Also, the main reason I came here is to say I love Stargoyle.

• Like 1

Sark's disgusting descriptions were killing me this episode. Is everything on this planet made of flatus and orifices? Because if so, I approve.

• Like 1

Awesome episode. Imagining 'Jazz hands' actually made me lol. I wonder what would happen if all of the magic armor was on one character. If it had a collective effect. If the guantlet didn't require an 'energy hand', or if 'stargoyle' could 'power' it somehow, I'm guessing the dragonborn would have to don it all (cuz no one else has a breath weapon). Might be an option if the party finds themselves in brick shithouse situation.

Awesome episode. Imagining 'Jazz hands' actually made me lol. I wonder what would happen if all of the magic armor was on one character. If it had a collective effect. If the guantlet didn't require an 'energy hand', or if 'stargoyle' could 'power' it somehow, I'm guessing the dragonborn would have to don it all (cuz no one else has a breath weapon). Might be an option if the party finds themselves in brick shithouse situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't all of the armor perfectly fit all the characters wearing them? I feel like that was stated when all the armors were being described, but I could be wrong, just going off memory.

I give up! This campaign setting is too weird to be called D&D any longer. Sark, you've thrown these players into a universe where they don't know anything about anything, and none of their character's skills apply. It would frustrate me to play a game like that, and its frustrating to listen to the players spin their wheels for an hour each week. I love you guys, but this show has jumped the flying shark.

Go home Nod, you are drunk.

I have finally started a D and D game with some friends. I'm still on board with this podcast. Stargoyle needs a spin-off!!!

• Like 4

The disgusting descriptions in this episode were awesome. All my flatulence this week made me think of Sark and his tootie flap, taco monsters.

I missed Blackie (I don't like when anyone is missing!), but Sir Richard brought it hard this ep.

• Like 1

I give up! This campaign setting is too weird to be called D&D any longer. Sark, you've thrown these players into a universe where they don't know anything about anything, and none of their character's skills apply. It would frustrate me to play a game like that, and its frustrating to listen to the players spin their wheels for an hour each week. I love you guys, but this show has jumped the flying shark.

Wow, you seriously think this? Generic D&D is the most boring, overdone style of game ever. Generic fantasy can suck it! Sark's flatulence filled interstellar joyride is fully under way, next stop anywhere.

• Like 3

Nod is clearly in the minority. Keep the fun scifi settings, lose the dull 4.0 rules.

I would still recommend switching to 3.5 or Pathfinder (open gaming update of 3.5). The core Pathfinder books are available to access for free off of the publisher's website: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

• Like 1

Everybody go home, one dude who created an account to say he didn't like the way people he's never met played a game. Holy shit.

I'm glad I'm not in a game with that dude. Sounds like the kind of person who'd get mad if somebody put their drink too close to his game map.

I disagree with his evaluation of the show wholeheartedly but Nod is technically accurate. Calling this a "D&D Adventure" is like calling your fantasy football league an NFL game. They use the basic D&D class/character D20 (occasionally) template but this is a sci-fantasy episodic serial more than an actual D&D campaign. Again, that is in no way a knock on the show because I love the show and look forward to it every Wednesday. But someone looking forward to, an someone who enjoys, a Dungeon Crawl or just hearing core mechanics being applied, might be turned off by is. Especially if they came to it becaus eit was labeled as "Dungeons & Dragons with Brian Posehn and friends".

EDITED TO ADD: For example, the most recent episode - 06/19/13 - was an entire hour with not one D20 roll for anything. You can't play an hour of D&D, representing 4 days of game time, without any checks and still call the shit Dungeons & Dragons. Well I mean, you can, you can call it “Blue Waffle Underwater Drumming Technique & Lemon Party with Brian Posehn & Friends” if you want…but people expecting to hear any of those things might argue the veracity of the name.

I disagree with his evaluation of the show wholeheartedly but Nod is technically accurate. Calling this a "D&D Adventure" is like calling your fantasy football league an NFL game. They use the basic D&D class/character D20 (occasionally) template but this is a sci-fantasy episodic serial more than an actual D&D campaign.

SF has been part of D&D since nearly the beginning. One of the early modules revolved around a crashed spaceship.

EDITED TO ADD: For example, the most recent episode - 06/19/13 - was an entire hour with not one D20 roll for anything. You can't play an hour of D&D, representing 4 days of game time, without any checks and still call the shit Dungeons & Dragons.

Sure you can, unless you're a slave to Random Encounters. Besides, Sark has said that he uses an (iPhone?) app to role dice when he doesn't want to tip off the players.

• Like 1

I think the 4E rules are fun but they are definately better suited for use with a game map. Plus the crew hasn't even bothered to study up on their characters so they miss out on a lot of cool class features (Mildred could have stopped a runaway or two from moving in the early episodes with her Combat Superiority). I think the 3.5/Pathfinder combat rules are boring though so I'm not sure what rules I would suggest for Sark. In any case I don't come here for solid mechanic discussion. Part of the fun is seeing the gang struggle with the rules in a humorous fashion. Comedy first. Gaming second.

SF has been part of D&D since nearly the beginning. One of the early modules revolved around a crashed spaceship.

Fair enough, sci-fi has been a part of D&D. Also I wasn’t as clear as I should have been, but I don’t think those factors negate my assertion that this is MORE sci-fi serial than it is a playing of a D&D campaign. I’m not saying inclusion of sci-fi negates it being D&D, I’m saying what it is, the way it is played, and the implementation of items, skills, combat wouldn’t be recognizable as D&D as described in the 4th E manual. I think it’s evidenced by not DCs during an hour of game play. Secret iphone app or no, no player was asked to make a check on any of their numerous action attempts and to me that IS why its not D&D but rather D&D-Adjacent. I just flat disagree with you on that.

Sure you can, unless you're a slave to Random Encounters...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

And dblade:

I love Pathfinder. I think that game is just about perfect. I’m also a fan of mechanics being broken down and even rule interpretation discussions (up to a point).

But so what, right? The show is entertaining as fucking hell to me and I listen 1st thing each Wednesday. This group has been playing together fo-eva and whatever they play is theirs to play how they want to. I just found myself agreeing that Nod was technically correct, which thanks to Futurama we all know to be the best kind of correct.

I’m saying what it is, the way it is played, and the implementation of items, skills, combat wouldn’t be recognizable as D&D as described in the 4th E manual.

That may be (never played 4ED) but it's very familiar to OD&D/AD&D vets.

Jumping in late to the is this or isn't this D&D thing; I feel it's mainly due to using 4e. I'm not gonna totally bash 4e, it has it's place and it's high points but it is a battle/skirmish/hacknslash style setup. Sark's deep story elements would be much better utilized if the group would go ahead and swap over to AD&D (2e) like they keep saying they will. 4e downplays role-playing & creativity I think.

I think that the D&D next playtest is shaping up nicely. It reminds me of pre-unearthed arcana 1st ed. Clean and keeping mechanics out of the way of a good story. If they are going to scrap 4th ed, which doesn't seem like a good fit, they could do worse...

Sign in to follow this