🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
qcumbersome

Rocky Balboa (2006)

I think this movie has good discussion potential, especially if you've heard Sly's DVD commentary (he thinks he's a real director)

-shitty computer simulation fight.

-confused old man (improvised) dialogue.

-not so subtle settings -alleys, old factories and bridges.

-the decor in Adrian's restaurant

-STEPS!!! such an absurd name and story, this kid goes from the streets to up on the table at the news conference in a couple of days.

-Punchy the dog

-Sly Stallone's weird face and hairline.

It's very flawed, but I rather liked it, and thought it was an enjoyable film that was less ridiculous than part 4 and less unpleasant than part 5.

• Like 1

I am a staunch defender of the Rocky series, even 5. I think that the Rocky saga is the story of a man's rise and fall in a pretty realistic manner. In this context the fights are not important and 4 contributes the least to it.

• Like 1

i can get behind the "rocky is a story of a man's rise and fall" theory in only the most meta joaquin phoenix way probably

well no i guess it is a pretty clear overarching theme but just want to say Rocky Four Is Bad

It's very obvious when watching a Rocky marathon. But it makes the sequels better, you get emotionally invested in the characters, want to see how their story plays out, etc. Despite the flaws of 5 *cough*Tommy Gunn*cough*street fight*cough* the mismanagement of money that was once flowing in, followed by the humble return to his roots is an important piece of the Rocky puzzle. I also think that it's a fairly realistic portrayal of rise-and-fall fame in general, especially for an athlete.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up when Apollo Creed dies. That is really the only thing Rocky 4 contributes to the arc.

Also:

1mPq9Ok.jpg

• Like 1

I think you're being very kind to these very awful movies.

Rocky really needed no sequel. It was a very self-contained story. Each sequel took a dip in quality until you get to that fifth one that just buried the awfulness needle. Rocky Balboa is alright, but it's basically just the first movie except Rocky is old.

I have nothing to add, except to say that as a parallel Stallone franchise, the Rambo movies are all waaay better than all of Rocky.

I actually just spent the last couple of weeks rewatching all the Rambo films, working backwards from the 2008 one. There's a fair dip in quality in Rambo 3 (he doesn't fire a shot until 43 minutes in!) but they're mostly pretty decent films. Although they really get away (far, far away) from the source material, the last movie is nicely bookended with the first one. And the second one is a straight up awesome action flick.

Rocky 4 is a total piece of shit and there was no need for any more.

I never had a problem with Rocky 4, Rocky 5 on the other hand should be buried in the same landfill as Shaq Fu and E.T. the game. Rocky Balboa was a really good end to that franchise with good storytelling and characters. This movie actually gave a hint of Stallone accepting his old age as an actor with everything in the movie: the fight was an exhibition rather than a title fight, Rocky only starts to come back when the champ breaks his hand, and Rocky loses even though he put up a valiant effort against a boxer half his age.

I am being very kind to the movies and I admit that I'm probably not as objective with them if I had seen them for the first time today. The Rocky movies were a HUGE part of my childhood and it's difficult to separate emotional attachment to the characters from enjoyment of the films themselves (not true for all childhood movies, No Holds Barred holds up terribly). I'm not saying that they're masterpieces, just that if you are able to focus on that element of the series then it makes them enjoyable in another dimension than just for the fights at the end.

I think that a lot of movies that deal with a rags-to-riches-to-rags story tend to do so in a grand fashion. The protagonist comes from humble beginnings, rises to the top of their profession where they experience a lavish lifestyle. Then at the peak of their fame, they express some fatal flaw which causes them to spiral down in a spectacular crash (often ending in death).

Rocky on the other hand does it in a more modest fashion, which is what I like about it. And like I said, I think it's particularly relevant to athletes who very frequently have a hard time adjusting to life after their paychecks start to decrease.

And for full disclosure, this is how I rated the movies on IMDB:

Rocky - 9/10

Rocky II - 7/10

Rocky III - 7/10

Rocky IV - 6/10

Rocky V - 6/10

Rocky Balboa - 7/10

I am in general agreement with Lando and hold the Rocky series to be, on the whole, fucking great. I'm in line with the public consensus that shits on the fifth one, but I hold that 'Rocky Balboa' is thoroughly enjoyable and I adore the franchise in general. I'm not such a fan of 2 since it kind of turns Rocky into a lumbering retarded child in the beginning (rather than just...slow), but I think it's still pretty great. The third and fourth movies are wonderful examples of eighties cheese and I think the series as a whole shines a light on how Stallone could be a great artist (he wrote the first one, after all) and an astute businessman (he built the franchise off of himself, basically). Of course, he would later go insane and think 'Stop, Or My Mom Will Shoot' was a good idea, but he wouldn't be the first actor or screenwriter to make a bad decision. I think the franchise's ability to go from Rags to Riches, then Riches to Rags and back again is part of its appeal and it does so successfully. Also, greasy, sweaty, shirtless dudes hit each other and it is both exceedingly homoerotic AND manly. Apollo Creed for life, you guys.

I'm pretty sure that "Rocky IV" holds the distinction of being the first (and finest) theatrically-released feature-length montage. To this day, if I've had a bad day and I may or may not have been responsible for letting my best friend get beaten to death, I crank up Sir Robert Tepper's "No Easy way Out" and drive around my block a few times.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this