🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EthanRunt

Man of Steel (2013)

Please guys, spend like 8 hours on this film, because from the get-go all I could think of was Mantzoukas saying "This Is Next Level Bonkers". This is an insane film, one that really feels like 500 voices blew into the script, and no one knew what they were doing.

8 hours wow that's wishful thinking. I have not seen this yet, but i was beting it would suck. does it live up to the such factor.

Just walked out of this one a few minutes ago...

I don't understand why this is here.

You know, sometimes this forum makes me think people are just incapable of enjoying anything.

• Like 9

It might seem like a really conspicuous point but it bears repeating sometimes - the most important question to ask before making a suggestion is 'How Did This Get Made?' If the answer is really obvious, then it's probably not a good candidate for the show.

Why did Man of Steel get made? Because it's basically a license to print money.

• Like 1

You know, sometimes this forum makes me think people are just incapable of enjoying anything.

Exactly. Perhaps we should just be anticipatory and start threads in this forum for every major box office release of the summer, since they'll all end up here anyway.

Before you dismiss me - look back at this forum over the last eight weeks. EVERY major box office release of the spring/summer so far has ended up being 'recommended' in this forum.

• Like 2

shannons starting to sound like Basil Fawlty ;)

I have not seen Man of Steel yet but from the trailer it looks like a over the top action movie that would ether have been really really good or super bad. as soon as I heard Kevin Costner & Russell Crowe are in it my mind quickly starts to run into skeptical mode. so many over the top good actors like Michael Shannon. who I love and will watch even his worst movies but man Kevin Costner really and your saying it's good, Now i can't wait to see this.

no, nah, nope, nuh-huh, nO NO NO NO NO NOPE.

I just came back from it, no way it deserves the treatment. This movie is going to be like The Amazing Spider-Man for me, I just will not get why some people don't like it. Yeah, there may be "Stupid" Moments (Jor-El showing Kal the suit, the Tornado), but as a summer superhero movie AND a reboot of a failed franchise, it kicks ass and I am definitely hoping for sequels. Henry Cahill amazing, Amy Adams SURPRISINGLY Great, Beautifully shot, I will defend this movie forever

And I was completely expecting a "Gritty" Superman that would suck but it totally did not.

Wow, I just got back from this and...yeah, basically everything IsaiahER said. OP, I don't want to pick on you, but I think you are taking crazy pills. The only thing I think Mantzoukas would say after seeing this is, 'This movie was FUCKING AMAZING!'

• Like 1

seanotron, Maybe EthanRunt had seen the adult verision of this movie by mistake Man Of Steel xxx, it could happen.

that's what happens when you buy the pirated version on the street corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joy6nMbHMtc

This is the clean version btw.

EthanRunt all in good fun.

I actually really liked this movie and I'm not the biggest fan of Superman, though I do love more current stories like Red Son and Earth One. I was about to make a joke thread for this movie but someone beat me to it and made a real one. This is why when I see threads like this I always comment "this is why we can't have nice things." It's either a troll thread by someone who just created an account or someone who doesn't get the show. And as justinmh05 said, the good blockbusters this year are getting called out for no reason except for nitpicking, and notice how the threads are made my a new member as their first post, and they never post again more often than not.

I loved in this movie how it wasn't the same old origin story that we have heard and seen before, but rather quick flashbacks. The action was good and I was surprised how they developed the Kent/Lane relationship which will make it interesting to see how they carry it over to the sequels. If anything I would rather see an episode on This Is the End, which while a really funny movie, has some insane moments and cameos, and I think the guys could get Seth Rogen in to talk about it since he was Dirty Randy on the League.

• Like 1

BTW - did anyone notice that obsessive compulsive producer John Peters did KIND OF get his giant spiders in Man of Steel? Zod's ships were clearly designed to look like spiders (albeit with four legs).

http://comicbook.com.../black-zero.png

I think they resembled the "War of the Worlds" tripod things more than anything particularly spidery.

BTW - did anyone notice that obsessive compulsive producer John Peters did KIND OF get his giant spiders in Man of Steel? Zod's ships were clearly designed to look like spiders (albeit with four legs).

I got a spidery vibe as well since a lot of Krypton's decor was animal like (the dragonfly animal, the robot that with a snakelike tail, and the frozen ship that looks like a cocoon). And since Superman hasn't had the best track record on film, I'm hoping they go for some awesome villians like Braniac or Doomsday, while having Lex Luthor in a smaller side role to start off.

I got more a crab feel from those than a spider feel, esp with the little claws that come out to fight Superman.

I got a spidery vibe as well since a lot of Krypton's decor was animal like (the dragonfly animal, the robot that with a snakelike tail, and the frozen ship that looks like a cocoon). And since Superman hasn't had the best track record on film, I'm hoping they go for some awesome villians like Braniac or Doomsday, while having Lex Luthor in a smaller side role to start off.

They definitely left the door open for a future appearance by Luthor with all the Luthorcorp logos scattered throughout, but I agree I'd rather see some of the other villains that haven't been explored on the big screen.

You know what was also a license to print money? Cobra.

It might seem like a really conspicuous point but it bears repeating sometimes - the most important question to ask before making a suggestion is 'How Did This Get Made?' If the answer is really obvious, then it's probably not a good candidate for the show.

Why did Man of Steel get made? Because it's basically a license to print money.

You know what was also a license to print money? Cobra and Fast 6.

I just got back from this, and honestly I'm kinda ambivalent about it. I liked a lot of things about it, all the Kryptonian stuff was pretty cool, Henry Cavill was great as Superman, everybody else was pretty good too, there were some cool visuals... but it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'm crazy but I just didn't find this movie to be fun, I kinda expect a Superman movie to be overall uplifting, but I felt like this movie was kind of a bummer. For all the constant talk of hope in this film, I didn't feel at all that this movie was hopeful, or optimistic, or inspiring, or uplifting, or any of that. It didn't feel like it was in the spirit of Superman basically. Isn't Superman about idealism? It was cool for what it was, big sci-fi superhero spectacle, but I feel like they missed the mark when it comes to nailing Superman.

Not a good HDTGM candidate at all though.

I just got back from this, and honestly I'm kinda ambivalent about it. I liked a lot of things about it, all the Kryptonian stuff was pretty cool, Henry Cavill was great as Superman, everybody else was pretty good too, there were some cool visuals... but it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'm crazy but I just didn't find this movie to be fun, I kinda expect a Superman movie to be overall uplifting, but I felt like this movie was kind of a bummer. For all the constant talk of hope in this film, I didn't feel at all that this movie was hopeful, or optimistic, or inspiring, or uplifting, or any of that. It didn't feel like it was in the spirit of Superman basically. Isn't Superman about idealism? It was cool for what it was, big sci-fi superhero spectacle, but I feel like they missed the mark when it comes to nailing Superman.

Not a good HDTGM candidate at all though.

See, I thought all of that was very much there. I've read these reviews saying it's grim and a downer, and that's just not the movie I experienced.

• Like 1

See, I thought all of that was very much there. I've read these reviews saying it's grim and a downer, and that's just not the movie I experienced.

SPOILERS

I'm very curious where you saw the hope and idealism and upliftingness(that a word?) in this movie then. I feel like there was no joy about it at all. When Superman finally lets loose and starts fighting these aliens I didn't feel like "Yeah! Go Superman!" I felt like "Holy shit! Everyone and everything is getting FUCKED UP right now!" It seemed like every minute of every fight scene a 9/11 scale tragedy was happening. The loss of life is catastrophic in this film, and a lot of it is directly Superman's fault who often seemed to not give a shit about collateral damage as he recklessly cut through buildings in his fight with Zod. There wasn't a moment of him trying to take the battle to a less populated area or anything. Chris Meloni was more of a hero than Superman was, he sacrificed himself to save us, and is never mentioned or thought of after that.

Superman let his own dad die. Why? Because his dad was afraid that people would freak out if they saw him use his powers? And Clark just trusted him. What? I'm guessing that was supposed to be some defining moment, but what did he learn from that? He helped people before that incident, and he helped people after the incident, there was no change. It was just a dumb moment that was trying to say something but it was really just a pointless tragedy there to make Superman's origin more grim. Another thing about Pa Kent though, he tells his son he maybe should've let a school bus full of children drown to death. Pa Kent is crazy,

The Kryptonians activating that world machine, which seemed to be wracking up thousands of casualties by the second... how is that not the most grim thing imaginable?

Superman has to make the choice to kill at the end of this movie. What the fuck? I know people will say "He had to!" but he only had to because the writers decided he had to. Superman doesn't kill, that's one of his principles, Superman is about idealism, he always thinks there's a better way, that's what he's about. I don't know why they decided they needed to make Superman break someone's neck. I guess they were trying really hard to go against the whole notion of Superman being a boyscout. Now we just have a Superman who is not above killing. Of all the superheroes, Superman is supposed to be the one who finds a way to do the right thing against all odds.

When all is said and done, Superman coming to this planet is not a gift, it's the worst thing that could've happened to the earth. Jor-El is kind of the real villain of this movie by deciding to send his dumb God-baby to our planet. Even if he didn't think Zod would escape and find him, how did he know Kal-El wouldn't just grow up to become a sociopath with the power to wreak havoc on our planet?

A Superman movie is supposed to make you feel like thank God we have Superman, Superman saved the day, yay! But after the events of this movie I can't realistically see how anybody could smile after everything that happened, they all just went through the greatest tragedy in human history. Superman should feel so much shame that he wouldn't want to show his face again after all that. How can Superman be a beacon of hope after that? If you were a person in that world and all of that happened, how in the world would that fill you with any hope? An invincible alien refugee is on our planet, millions of people died because he was here, we're not alone in the universe, how do we know there won't be more aliens coming for him?

I know some death and destruction is supposed to give these popcorn superhero movies a little weight and make it seem like the stakes are real. But this movie had soooo much death. Superman couldn't prevent millions of deaths, and he was even responsible for probably thousands of those deaths himself. At least in the Avengers we saw the superheros trying their darndest to prevent casualties, and at least there was plenty of levity and fun moments in that climax. I felt good watching that. The climax of this movie was just full on disaster, people running and screaming and being crushed to death, buildings collapsing everywhere for several miles, Superman doing nothing to really try to minimize it. I don't see how that's particularly fun.

When you watch Richard Donner's Superman, or even the old Fleischer cartoon, or Bruce Timm's Superman adventures, or heck even the Dean Cain show, there's always that rousing moment when the music swells and Superman is giving his all and succeeding against all odds and saving the world and it's inspiring and positive, and the people on the street cheer for Superman and it's happy. Superman reassures you that as long as he's around everything's going to be alright. I guess that's too antiquated for today's audiences and we need colossal death and destruction and Superman being forced to murder by the end of it?

• Like 1

Ugh, I'm embarrassed that came out so long. I didn't hate the movie, it was pretty gripping, but just a real downer in terms of all the tragedy, especially for a Superman movie.

I will agree that some critiques have merit (I was furious at EVERY SINGLE MOVE Pa Kent made, and I did notice the excessive property damage), but it didn't bring down the entire show for me. It's an origin story, so I didn't expect him to try and save everyone. He's just figuring out his powers.

I will admit, I laughed when I saw Jon Peters name on screen

And there are two things I did love about this. First, they were treating Superman as a alien, which gave the movie an interesting sci-fi element, and second, it wasn't trying to be like Nolan's Batman. There was definitely a lot more good nature and humor in this, which made me glad that a studio didn't just say, "Make Superman, but Grittier"

And there are two things I did love about this. First, they were treating Superman as a alien, which gave the movie an interesting sci-fi element, and second, it wasn't trying to be like Nolan's Batman. There was definitely a lot more good nature and humor in this, which made me glad that a studio didn't just say, "Make Superman, but Grittier"

Exactly! That opening sequence on Krypton could have been an entire movie, basically. This is the first time I've felt Krypton was represented as truly alien, and not just a place where people stand around in white robes in soft focus. And yes, I was worried we'd see a Dark Knight approach here, but I feel they successfully gave it weight without weighing it down.

• Like 1

I feel like it WAS Superman but grittier. MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DIED! Superman let his dad die. Superman kills. Superman recklessly kills innocent people himself. I'm not understanding how that isn't gritty. I feel like it was for sure weighed down. There's no real triumph, Superman doesn't make everything okay, he just makes the dying eventually stop after millions have already lost their lives.

I don't really buy that he just didn't have control of his powers. He seemed to have a pretty good handle over them. But even if he didn't have total control, that doesn't excuse him from making conscious choices to fight through buildings. He doesn't even take a beat to realize how much death he's causing or show any desire or effort to stop destroying buildings. He just keeps fighting like he doesn't give a shit how much collateral damage is happening.

Like I said I liked a lot of things about it, I think the Kryptonian stuff was really cool. I'm not saying it's even a bad movie by it's own merits, it's impressive in lots of ways, and it told an interesting story. But as a Superman movie I feel like they sucked the positivity out of that character's world. And I enjoy it more as a sci-fi disaster film than really a superhero film. I don't know if I'm just crazy or if everybody else has just become so desensitized by catastrophic death in blockbuster movies that all those faceless death just don't have any weight or meaning to anyone anymore. I mean, did you guys really watch that movie and after all the dust settled felt like "Yay! Hooray for Superman! He did it!" I don't know how to interpret this movie any other way than being a downer, literally nothing "good" happens in it, the tragedy just eventually stops.

Sign in to follow this