🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EthanRunt

Man of Steel (2013)

I agree to an extent, but those movies don't follow the female gaze or there would be a lot more ass shots and gratuitous front nudity.

I'm just going to leave these here.

boJPZjQ.jpg

trPOmIQ.jpg

• Like 3

There's a reason Sucker Punch is in the lesser half of the Snyder Canon. I would also like to go into a long extended thesis on why the changing definition of masculinity is why we have all of these sexuality-questioning heros, but I'm too lazy and don't want to waste so much time justifying my mancrush on Andrew Garfield

0510-andrew-garfield-spider-man_aw.jpg

(I'm sorry, he is just so unf in that suit)

Oh, damn, I didn't know that. It sounds like some Story of O type shit.

It's absurd how popular that series has become. For one, most people who have had sex of any kind or are into BDSM realize how bullshit the stories are. Bondage fans are upset because the book doesn't showcase that lifestyle but rather misogyny. And more so the books are horribly written from a subject and grammatical standpoint. Remember this was a self published book through in the beginning, but the publisher should have put it through some editors when it picked it up steam. And I wasn't joking about the make it PG by Disney line, as I have had many tween girls come in and check this book out at the library where I work.

I saw a Buzzfeed list that was talking about how all of Snyder's movies are "homoerotic"

Only semi-related, but what the heck: I was on another movie board where a gay guy was vocally against "300" and Zack Snyder. Snyder had made a remark in an interview about the villain's flamboyancy along the lines of, "What's scarier to 20-year old guys than a huge guy who wants to have his way with you?"

He said that he talked about this to a gay friend of his, who only had two words in response: "Banana hammock."

300 accomplishes the interesting feat of being both homoerotic and homophobic (it's also racist and sexist, but one thing at a time). Though I had always assumed the homophobia was more Miller than Snyder.

I feel like the HDTGM crew could spend 30 minutes on three topics alone:

- Product placement. Wow, just wow: this may have set a new bar for advertising in film. After seeing the film, I couldn't shake the feeling that I wanted to rent a UHaul, grab some breakfast at IHOP, then go to Sears and load that UHaul up. What boggled my mind is that they had to use CG on some of the placement because it is not possible for the camera to have two different focus points at large distances (the scene of the Sears logo over Superman's shoulder stands out as one that drove me crazy).

- The amount of fucks given by this film for human life: 0. As someone else pointed out in this thread, millions of people died, many of which could have been avoided had Superman not been so reckless in his fighting. Also, that last fight with Zod headed quickly towards "Peter Griffin vs. Giant Chicken" self-parody territory in my mind.

- Krypton. Why couldn't the whole movie have been a prequel about Krypton? Sure, it was over the top, but it was the kind of ridiculousness that was fascinating.

*sigh*, to go over the Zack Snyder filmography

Dawn of the Dead, 75% RT

300, 60% RT

Watchmen, 64% RT

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, 50% RT

Sucker Punch, 23% RT

Man of Steel, 56% RT

Snyder is, by no means, a Chris Nolan or Joss Whedon, but he produces fine work. Sucker Punch is really the only blip on his radar, so I don't see why a forum like this is here (to quote Shannon). He produces fun entertainment for moviegoers, and that really is a lame target.

And to the new points, Product Placement is in a lot of places, at least it wasn't Michael Bay level, the casualties are distracting, but it really shouldn't be the main focus in an origin story, and Krypton was amazing, so I don't see how that could be a critique. Those three are easily just 5 minutes.

and can this forum end please I'm tired of defending this.

have the same feeling upon learning that zack snyder did the owls of gahoole as i did when learning shymalan helped write the script for she's all that

*sigh*, to go over the Zack Snyder filmography

Dawn of the Dead, 75% RT

300, 60% RT

Watchmen, 64% RT

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, 50% RT

Sucker Punch, 23% RT

Man of Steel, 56% RT

Snyder is, by no means, a Chris Nolan or Joss Whedon, but he produces fine work. Sucker Punch is really the only blip on his radar, so I don't see why a forum like this is here (to quote Shannon). He produces fun entertainment for moviegoers, and that really is a lame target.

And to the new points, Product Placement is in a lot of places, at least it wasn't Michael Bay level, the casualties are distracting, but it really shouldn't be the main focus in an origin story, and Krypton was amazing, so I don't see how that could be a critique. Those three are easily just 5 minutes.

and can this forum end please I'm tired of defending this.

This is the first of his movies I've actually enjoyed, but he does have a good eye for visuals.

This is the first of his movies I've actually enjoyed, but he does have a good eye for visuals.

I feel like that's all he's good at. His movies look like really fucking amazing music videos or video games (two mediums which also have major problems with their representation of women and minorities).

Is Man Of Steel actually worth sitting through? 2.5 hours is a long ass time, seriously. Almost every big movie this summah is at least 120 minutes long (not that I'm gonna waste my time on World War Zzzzz).

- Product placement. Wow, just wow: this may have set a new bar for advertising in film. After seeing the film, I couldn't shake the feeling that I wanted to rent a UHaul, grab some breakfast at IHOP, then go to Sears and load that UHaul up. What boggled my mind is that they had to use CG on some of the placement because it is not possible for the camera to have two different focus points at large distances (the scene of the Sears logo over Superman's shoulder stands out as one that drove me crazy).

This is nothing new, even for superhero movies. (Notice how the climax of "The Avengers" starts just outside a Farmers Insurance office.) These movies are expensive as hell ($225 million for this one alone, probably before advertising and such), and the studios want some money to be provided by somebody just in case the movie flops and they lose a ton of cash.

- Krypton. Why couldn't the whole movie have been a prequel about Krypton? Sure, it was over the top, but it was the kind of ridiculousness that was fascinating.

It's one thing to do a comic book issue or graphic novel that's about something considered minor about a character (or a side-story/imaginary story/whatever); drawing things on paper is fairly cheap. But when you're investing hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie, you kind of have to get to the stuff the mass audiences apparently want, which in a movie like this translates as "big action scenes." Krypton probably would not provide much in the way of fun, physics-defying fights, which is what the audience apparently wants from a Superman movie. (Also, because it would mean that Superman—the character most everybody knows from this franchise—is stuck as a non-powerful baby for most if not all of the movie.)

• Like 2

I feel like that's all he's good at. His movies look like really fucking amazing music videos or video games (two mediums which also have major problems with their representation of women and minorities).

Is Man Of Steel actually worth sitting through? 2.5 hours is a long ass time, seriously. Almost every big movie this summah is at least 120 minutes long (not that I'm gonna waste my time on World War Zzzzz).

It seems to be hit or miss for most people. It's Beautifully Shot and finds a good balance between the traditional light-heartedness of Superman and a realism that comes with all modern Superhero movies, in my opinion. However, some think it's too "Dark" and has way too much destruction. I thought the property damage was redundant, but it didn't ruin it for me. I'd reccomend it, but only if you know that there could be problems.

• Like 1

Agreed. Sucker Puch even got a little respect from me because I did like what I was looking at, which really helped me forget that the story was BS.

I was honestly surprised to find out it was that long. It felt like it whizzed by when I saw it.

And i think if he'd been left to his own devices it probably wouldn't have been that great, but Nolan and Goyer balanced him out by focusing on the story/character elements.

• Like 1

have the same feeling upon learning that zack snyder did the owls of gahoole as i did when learning shymalan helped write the script for she's all that

Snyder seems to have his niche as an adaptation director as everything he's done outside of Sucker Punch was an adaptation/remake of another property faired okay at least with critics.

I enjoyed Man of Steel as I enjoy the modern Superman comics that have more emotion/realism to them, which is what this movie is going off of. It didn't feel long when I was watching it, which was surprising as This Is the End felt long at points and is an hour shorter than this movie.

I was honestly surprised to find out it was that long. It felt like it whizzed by when I saw it.

Saw it last night. Wow, you were right. Respect to whatever conglomerate edited this thing.

This was a great movie if you like dubstep and punching things.

My favorite part was Superman's chest hair. I also felt the border collie really carried this movie; every movie is like 10% better with a border collie.

This was a great movie if you like dubstep and punching things.

Fans of construction debris will also love this film because so much shit gets destroyed. Funeral directors will get a hard-on when thinking about how much they could have made if they were living in Metropolis.

• Like 1

My favorite part was Superman's chest hair. I also felt the border collie really carried this movie; every movie is like 10% better with a border collie.

The border collie was an interesting part to think about because Kevin Costner, who to me was the worst part of this movie, allows himself to be killed to save the family dog. That dog apparently died shortly after as when Clark goes back to his home, they have a new dog, so Costner sacrificed himself for nothing, that or it was a very elaborate plot by Martha and the dog to kill Costner and inherit the family farm, which I'm sure is a front for the biggest meth lab in Kansas.

• Like 2

I think they could do an entire episode of HDTGM on the krypton scenes the dildo rockets, the avatar dragon and the retarded looking counsel hats

The border collie was an interesting part to think about because Kevin Costner, who to me was the worst part of this movie, allows himself to be killed to save the family dog. That dog apparently died shortly after as when Clark goes back to his home, they have a new dog, so Costner sacrificed himself for nothing, that or it was a very elaborate plot by Martha and the dog to kill Costner and inherit the family farm, which I'm sure is a front for the biggest meth lab in Kansas.

That was very odd to me as well. Why would you risk your life for the family dog? It would sad that the dog died, sure, but why would you risk your life for the dog's?

That was very odd to me as well. Why would you risk your life for the family dog? It would sad that the dog died, sure, but why would you risk your life for the dog's?

I could understand Kevin Costner saving that woman and her baby, but the dog was a stretch for me as the Tornado was basically five feet away from the car. Also, didn't Martha send him back to get the dog? See, murder plot evolves right there,

• Like 1

Mr. Brooks is probably his best since JFK as it's such a different role for him playing a methodical serial killer with a split personality. William Hurt as the personality works great with him and the movie is good for what it was going for, plus it doesn't hurt that Costner kills Dane Cook with a shovel.

The only other thing that I have like him in since JFK was 3000 Miles to Graceland as it's a total guilty pleasure movie for me and deserves its own episode on the show.

• Like 1

I could understand Kevin Costner saving that woman and her baby, but the dog was a stretch for me as the Tornado was basically five feet away from the car. Also, didn't Martha send him back to get the dog? See, murder plot evolves right there,

I'm starting to come around to your line of thinking. In fact, now that I remember, Martha was looking very tired all of the time...tired or high out of her mind.

Also, when the tornado was coming for him, I wish Costner had started to drink his own pee while petting a wolf. That would have been epic.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this