🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 85.5 — Bonus Cut: Yo, Is "Yo, Is This Racist?" Racist?

Generalizing about an area is not the same as institutionalized racism. Generalization is not nearly as detrimental to the residents of the midwest, or south, or whatever as racism is to the genuinely oppressed. On that level it's not really a comparison. It is weak, however, to absolve the producers of racist content because you're friends with them, and then blame racist media on its audience rather than on its producers. I think Andrew Ti wouldn't let anyone get away with that on the blog, but he does on the podcast for whatever reason.

This, definitely. I love the tumblr but I can't listen to the podcast because of his inability to disagree with anything the guests say. I mean really, people who write racist jokes aren't racist? Because they live in lofts? Don't get me wrong, stereotyping people from the South isn't racist because that's not what the word racist means. It's not blue, spicy, or aluminum either. It is, however, bog standard classism, a time honored way for middle class whites to absolve themselves of their own, more subtle, less white-hooded but still pernicious racism.

• Like 4

You're right! You're the one that said black people were racist against you because you liked metal music or some such bullshit. And also, you used the Newt Gingrich approved term "reverse racist" to describe people who point out racism.

I used the term because it applied to my life personally. I don't give a flying fuck about Newt Gingrich.

I used the term because it applied to my life personally. I don't give a flying fuck about Newt Gingrich.

You have a funny way of showing it then.

This, definitely. I love the tumblr but I can't listen to the podcast because of his inability to disagree with anything the guests say. I mean really, people who write racist jokes aren't racist? Because they live in lofts? Don't get me wrong, stereotyping people from the South isn't racist because that's not what the word racist means. It's not blue, spicy, or aluminum either. It is, however, bog standard classism, a time honored way for middle class whites to absolve themselves of their own, more subtle, less white-hooded but still pernicious racism.

The woman was the fucking worst guest. Well, second worst. The guy he had from the band who talked extra slow in a shitty Steven Wright impression was the WORST. She was just stupid.

You have a funny way of showing it then.

I guess you are incapable of accepting it. You were just making fun of someone who said recognizing racism is racist while you glorify Andrew Ti who said on two episodes in which he played the same phone call because he is too lazy(his own words) that "everyone is racist". What an idiotic statement.

It's not posting gifs I'm racist towards, some of my best friends post gifs. After I'm done asking if I can touch their hair my bffs who I compliment them on not being one of "those" gif posters. You know "them" who post "You Mad" gifs and "they" give all other gif posters a bad name.

I'm not surprised you didn't comprehend what I wrote though, you've been missing points throughout this post.

And hey! Lookie there! I paid attention to what you said after I said I knew not to! I'm breaking stereotypes right and left! Progressive Power!

lolol white people lolol

I am a fan of this post.

I guess you are incapable of accepting it. You were just making fun of someone who said recognizing racism is racist while you glorify Andrew Ti who said on two episodes in which he played the same phone call because he is too lazy(his own words) that "everyone is racist". What an idiotic statement.

What are saying right now? What am I incapable of accepting? This was goobledly goop.

The reason I mixed you up is because the reverse racism shit is thrown about by racist ass people. Usually when you point out some racist policy or practice. Because in their twisted minds, if you talk about racism and/or point out things that are racist in society right now, then you are the REAL RACIST. That's a dumb idea. A very stupid idea. Racist acts are racist. Pointing out such practices is a good thing because for a long time society just swept it under the rug.

But I was fucking around with that Picklefucker guy when I made the "you see racism in everything" line. He's a grade A idiot and the reason I know this is because the very foundation that informs what he sees as racism is flawed. Someone generalizing your hometown is not as bad as institutional racism. Its not as bad as the things that spring from racism -- like lynchings, slavery, etc.

There should be a case closed segment with Shariq.

It's getting kinda silly in here, but I think we can all agree that the YITR segment was pretty terrible.

• Like 1

It's not posting gifs I'm racist towards, some of my best friends post gifs. After I'm done asking if I can touch their hair my bffs who I compliment them on not being one of "those" gif posters. You know "them" who post "You Mad" gifs and "they" give all other gif posters a bad name.

I'm not surprised you didn't comprehend what I wrote though, you've been missing points throughout this post.

And hey! Lookie there! I paid attention to what you said after I said I knew not to! I'm breaking stereotypes right and left! Progressive Power!

lolol white people lolol

You haven't been reading this thread. Generalizations are bad, just as intolerable as racism. You were just being just as racist towards people who post "U Mad" gifs.

Plus, you never had a point. You just wanted to post how you are SOOOOO not taking anything I say seriously. I suggest you go back to that mindstate because I sure as hell am not taking anything you say seriously at all.

I am a fan of this post.

That's why I said this is a debate between white people. It is a debate that centers on white people convincing other white people that X place is "hip and progressive." What really matters in a debate like this are the opinions of other white people, not the actual minorities living in X place. And there is a sort of classism going on as well, but I feel, in the end, shitting on minorities is something that white folks of all political and socio-economic strips can get behind.

Turns out I have more free time than I thought!

But I was fucking around with that Picklefucker guy when I made the "you see racism in everything" line. He's a grade A idiot and the reason I know this is because the very foundation that informs what he sees as racism is flawed. Someone generalizing your hometown is not as bad as institutional racism. Its not as bad as the things that spring from racism -- like lynchings, slavery, etc.

So I guess I should have explained myself better instead of just saying "look closer" like a dick. "Irrationally intolerant" is my pseudointellectual asshole way of saying "unfair". I try to use big words when I can because I'm extremely insecure about my microscopic penis. All I meant was that assumptions based on race are unfair, and assumptions based on locations are also unfair. I realize that racism is WAAAY more harmful, but I don't see validity for either. Does that at least bump me down to a Grade B Idiot?
  • Like 1

So I guess I should have explained myself better instead of just saying "look closer" like a dick.

I think you're underselling the impact of "nope, look closer." It was very clear what you meant.

But seriously you're making me re-think the advancements I've made today when you say shit like this:

..., but I feel, in the end, shitting on minorities is something that white folks of all political and socio-economic strips can get behind.

So all white poeple enjoy shitting on minorities? That's a fucking stupid opinion.

Shots fired! I listen to Yo, Is This Racist? quite a bit and generally agree with what is said there. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud because this was a very funny episode, and I think the clip played was generally indicative of douchebaggery, but let's not confuse institutionalized racism with unfair regional stereotypes and generalizations. What they said on the show was offensive (and deserved to be mocked since YITR prides itself on social justice and should be called out when it fails), but it wasn't racist.

Also white people, I don't care the context, do not say the N-word. Not allowed.

Went back and listened to the entire YITR episode--the woman's name is Joselyn Hughes. She started out in Chicago, trained at Second City and, somewhat ironically, UCB. She was definitely too easy on the writers (probably didn't want to condemn people in the industry she's trying to move up in) but it's not like she was so wrong about the broad American audience.

Also probably worth pointing out that Andrew Ti is from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I think Besser and Walsh were just mad because it got personal for them--look at how fast Walsh mentioned his own grandfather for instance.

context matters, even if you want to disregard it

I agree. That is what is the problem with Americans and most issues. Context is the main factor. I hate the whole white people cannot say "the N word" thing. Intent is all that matters. It's just a word, don't let it have so much weight.

I agree. That is what is the problem with Americans and most issues. Context is the main factor. I hate the whole white people cannot say "the N word" thing. Intent is all that matters. It's just a word, don't let it have so much weight.

It's just a word that has been associated with the systematic kidnapping, enslavement, political oppression and extra-judicial murders of a vast swath of the human race.

• Like 2

Intent means nothing. Impact is what matters. If you focus on the intent you are just privileging the person who said the slur's feelings over the person who the slur is meant to dehumanize. And yes, context does matter, it is a hateful word that has been used by mainly white people to berate African Americans. Somehow THAT context doesn't matter though.

context matters, even if you want to disregard it

So then what about the context that the word is used by white people to dehumanize African Americans. Does that not fit into the "context" somehow?

intent matters, even if you want to disregard it

It only matters to the person who is doing the shit slinging. To the person on the receiving end, they still get face of shit either way.

It's just a word that has been associated with the systematic kidnapping, enslavement, political oppression and extra-judicial murders of a vast swath of the human race.

I ran out of likes today, but I want to give this the "preach on" treatment.

tumblr_lspkiqxRQs1qzv7c2.gif

Sign in to follow this