🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 85.5 — Bonus Cut: Yo, Is "Yo, Is This Racist?" Racist?

you're implying its always a situation where people are using it to hate on others, which is why context and intent matter, even if you dont want them to.

It's just a word that has been associated with the systematic kidnapping, enslavement, political oppression and extra-judicial murders of a vast swath of the human race.

So what. That is not still happening. It is just a word.

you're implying its always a situation where people are using it to hate on others, which is why context and intent matter, even if you dont want them to.

Its a fucking racial slur, that context is not going to change. You want to focus on how you dehumanized me but not really? Here's a lesson to you, I still am reminded of how people think I'm no better than a lump of dog shit. I am telling you that it does not change for the person who the slur is directed at. It does not change at all.

That's why your arguments of "intent" are bullshit. With the context and the history of the word, I'll just go ahead and think that anyone who uses it is no friend of mine. Because what idiot would think that because they didn't mean a racial slur in that way, that it automatically cancels out centuries of use of people using it in harmful way. What fuckhead would ever think that?

This is why you're idiot.

If I were to explain why the word nigger is bad in general, that would be proper context and intent. So again, context and intent matter, even if "you" dont want them to.

Do you kiss your mother with that lack of empathy for your fellow humans?

• Like 1

Went back and listened to the entire YITR episode--the woman's name is Joselyn Hughes. She started out in Chicago, trained at Second City and, somewhat ironically, UCB. She was definitely too easy on the writers (probably didn't want to condemn people in the industry she's trying to move up in) but it's not like she was so wrong about the broad American audience.

Also probably worth pointing out that Andrew Ti is from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I think Besser and Walsh were just mad because it got personal for them--look at how fast Walsh mentioned his own grandfather for instance.

I love when they were ragging on Andrew for qualifying his statement about the writers who keep up this racist stereotypes that they mentioned Andrew was privileging the feelings of the writer over a section of the nation. I would like to point out that Besser and crew didn't mention the minorities who these stereotypes affect at any time and say, "hey what about the impact on them?" It was more about making sure Arkansas and Chicago don't look as racist as they are.

Do you kiss your mother with that lack of empathy for your fellow humans?

Black people aren't humans to him. He's probably a very kind man. Loves pets and the outdoors and good music and all of that good stuff. It's just that he doesn't see black people as human. Very nice, man, I'm sure, but he when he sees a black person he sees a sort of troglodyte beast that he can control. Certainly not a human; something between a human and an ape.

you really know how to go off the deep end of assumptions and absolutes

• Like 1

If I were to explain why the word nigger is bad in general, that would be proper context and intent. So again, context and intent matter, even if "you" dont want them to.

I'm quite familiar with it, thank you. The context has not changed; the word is still a racial slur. Your intent was a double "fuck you" -- you got to write the slur and be condescending in one statement.

Still hurt. Your intent didn't matter.

you really know how to go off the deep end of assumptions and absolutes

When someone lists all of this suffering and the respondent says, "So what." Then its not an assumption that they don't see black people as human. It's not even a real leap to make that statement.

the context did change, you're just seemingly paranoid that everyone is racist and they can only have that intent when they use the word

• Like 2

the context did change, you're just seemingly paranoid that everyone is racist and they can only have that intent when they use the word

Is it paranoia if you take someone using a racial slur at you in a negative way? Did the word slur have a positive connotation where you're from?

This is why you're idiot.

Oh so you brought in name calling now. Your logic sensor is out of whack. Keep using talking points and generalisations like Sean Hannity/Bill O'Reilly/Adam Carolla to proove your point. Enjoy it, Yesssss (Brody Stevens)

do you just not understand what context, huge leaps in logic, paranoia, and intent mean?

• Like 1

Oh so you brought in name calling now. Your logic sensor is out of whack. Keep using talking points and generalisations like Sean Hannity/Bill O'Reilly/Adam Carolla to proove your point. Enjoy it, Yesssss (Brody Stevens)

Hannity, O'Reily and Corolla are your heroes. Now those are some white men who don't give a fuck about minorities, just like you. And I hope one day you reach racist nirvana.

do you just not understand what context, huge leaps in logic, paranoia, and intent mean?

The context of the word did not change in ten minutes. It is still a racial slur. Still used for hate. Dr. Who didn't go back in time and erase slavery or Jim Crow, so the word is still tied up with that as well. Do you disregard all of this when you speak of "context"?

Your intent is what I believe it to be. Or in your world, does the person who getting the slur thrown at them have no POV at all?

• Like 1

Context, which includes the history of the word and how other people use it, ultimately matters a lot more than the intent of the person saying it with slurs and that sort of thing. Rick Crom explains why in this clip at 6:21 better than I can:

Different word, but comparable.

• Like 1

okay, you really dont know what these words mean at all from your response. an exercise in futility on my part

• Like 1

Hey Picklefucker, you're from Maine? Get out of here, there ain't room enough for the both of us!

• Like 1

okay, you really dont know what these words mean at all from your response. an exercise in futility on my part

If this history of the word is not apart of the definition of context, then what the hell is it? If you say it is the situation, then you need to get some books on language and history and read up, because it is you who doesn't really know what is going on.

And which one of you babies cried to Shannon? If you wanna tell racist jokes, get a job in The Onion writer's room. If you wanna make prejudiced statements about minorities, go to the Fox News forums; they'll love you there. If you say some racist bullshit here, I'm going confront you on it and call the ideas you have stupid because they are.

Jesus, what a bunch of whiny sona....

• Like 1

As far as context, there was no reason for Besser to say "n****r" (instead of "the n-word") in order to prove his point. It added nothing. It only made me think "why did he just say that? Is he an idiot?"

As far as context, there was no reason for Besser to say "n****r" (instead of "the n-word") in order to prove his point. It added nothing. It only made me think "why did he just say that? Is he an idiot?"

He's not an idiot; he's from Arkansas.

What other words can I never say? Or is it just that one word? Seriously.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this