🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 85.5 — Bonus Cut: Yo, Is "Yo, Is This Racist?" Racist?

Its not supposed to be funny yet Andrew insists its not a serious source? What a fucking waste of time.

What's weird is that Andrew has gotten way funnier in the last 4 months.

Im most offended by Yo Is This Racist because its not funny.

If there was a vote for worst podcast on Earwolf YITR would be the run away winner

yet its on 5 times a week. What up with that?

I tried to make a vote on the forums for this very reason but it got locked. YITR was leading by a lot

Arguments about whether place X is more racist/___ist than place Y are always a waste of time. The answer doesn't matter as both places should not be racist/___ist and certainly it should not be a point of pride to look at some other place's shortcomings and pat ourselves on the back and say at least we are not that.

I don't understand how the complaint that people should just be able to say what they want and that words are just words, continues to persist. People can and do say whatever they want, just deal with the consequences of that. What value there is in having the 'freedom' to say any slur available is beyond me, but you are free to say them. They are freely said in youtube comments and on twitter daily.

I also don't understand that statement that Andrew Ti is racist against white people. He defends a theory and supports behaviour from a position of privilege that articulates white people are inferior?

• Like 8

I listened to a bit of the episode with Paul F Tompkins. Not even Paul could control how insanely condescending Anrew Ti is.

• Like 2

Its not supposed to be funny yet Andrew insists its not a serious source? What a fucking waste of time.

Yeah man. I've stopped trying to have more straightforward conversations about movies with my friends. We aren't storied film critics so we aren't experts, but in also trying to have real discussions about a creative medium we've tried to distance ourselves from the condescending and silly humor we so often fall into.

I mean, the only two possible ways to approach something are by throwing hundreds of jokes at it or trying to analytically dissect it with total, abject precision, so if we aren't doing either of those things, what's the point of ever saying anything ever?

• Like 4

Woah hold on there. Have you lived in the USA?

As a brit that has lived in the states I cannot agree to this. I'm a Londoner originally, and I've lived in rural england too, and in the states - they are equally racist.

Additionally the UK is a *far* more mono-racial society than the states - which usually means there's more ignorance about other types of people.

Sorry but I can't tolerate the "UK is less" argument as it's so patently untrue. Don't forget the EDL and the recent UKIP successes.

*edit - let me guess, you're an English White Male?

Yes, I'm white, but it's quite easy to guess that, seeing as 85% of British people are. I'm also English, but since I said "I live in the UK" in my post that's also easy to guess. And I'm male, although that's a fifty fifty shot, and doesn't have much to do with racism.

I didn't want to get into a contest about "who's the most racist", although I probably shouldn't have posted that the UK is less racist if that was my intention! The reason I said it, I think, is because all the times I've looked at Jim Crow in school has negatively affected my view of the US. I really have no idea who is more racist. Thanks for making me realize that.

However, I will say that the UK wins on homophobia.

EDIT: The last sentence is supposed to be a half joke! There's no way to win homophobia! Sorry for misjudging that line.

Yes, I'm white, but it's quite easy to guess that, seeing as 85% of British people are. I'm also English, but since I said "I live in the UK" in my post that's also easy to guess. And I'm male, although that's a fifty fifty shot, and doesn't have much to do with racism.

I only pointed that out as I doubt anyone who wasn't those three things combined could have such an idyllic view of the UK.

Also stop saying "the UK wins at" because it promotes complacency. I don't agree with you either regarding homophobia. New York State and others have granted gay marriage months ago.

Argue all you want about the tongue-in-cheek nature of Andrew's show, but I'll make a generalization right here: you do not fuck with Arkansas on Besser's watch.

I only pointed that out as I doubt anyone who wasn't those three things combined could have such an idyllic view of the UK.

Also stop saying "the UK wins at" because it promotes complacency. I don't agree with you either regarding homophobia. New York State and others have granted gay marriage months ago.

I absolutely don't think there is NO racism in the UK or anything. As you say, the rise of UKIP is a testament to that. I said "wins" mainly to be kind of tongue in cheek, because obviously there's no tournament of tolerance or anything, there's nothing to win. I suppose that wasn't really very clear.

Anyway, the UK IS more tolerant of homophobia, (Please don't take this away from me, it's all I have left!) which I put down not to any particularly good thing the UK is doing, seeing as the rest of Europe is similar in attitudes to the UK, but the really high religiosity in the US.

The UK beats the US in polls of whether gay marriage should be legal, and whether gay relationships are okay. I can link you that stats if you want, but a quick Google is all it takes.

EDIT: And the UK just legalized gay marriage for the whole country.

• Like 1

Man this thread bummed me out.

Alright that is fucked. You are consistently the most positive and energetically complimentary poster on the entirety of Earwolf. When shit gets YOU bummed, that’s when everyone needs to just cut the shit.

Alright that is fucked. You are consistently the most positive and energetically complimentary poster on the entirety of Earwolf. When shit gets YOU bummed, that’s when everyone needs to just cut the shit.

I am a bit of a cheerleader, but just let me say this..Andrew Ti hosts a podcast on a comedy network, he isn't the actual czar of racism so his opinions or those of his guests or Matt, or us...only have as much weight as we give them. I would ask we all consider that before we start calling for a show to be cancelled or for people to not use words, or to scream for our right to use a word.

I just wish we would all take a moment to just hear the other person and what they are saying. If someone feels something you said hurt them, be it because you put down their state, used a derogatory term for their race, put down their gender...whatever...just hear them out and try and understand where they are coming from. It's okay to be wrong and to admit it. Actually, it's beautiful and we almost never see it happen anymore and when we do see it, it's awe inspiring.

If they won't listen, walk away and work on someone who will.

I don't know, I just hate when we attack each other, even when we have reasons.

Yo, is this pacifist? Maybe.

• Like 9

well written Lukas. I say this with the utmost respect, please....suck my ass.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

• Like 1

well written Lukas. I say this with the utmost respect, please....suck my ass.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Great and well..um...suck my anus...please.

Priceless. Every time I get sad I think about that moment and the breakdown of everyone afterward. So wonderful.

• Like 1

However, I will say that the UK wins on homophobia.

It's not a competition.

Also we did have the black and white minstrel show until 1978.

I get what you're saying, we've probably made some more progressive moves before the U.S, we have less segregation here, but trying to say all this stuff just comes across like you're trying to say we're better than America, which is a dumb thing to be trying to prove. It's just not a fair comparison for a number of reasons.

It's not a competition.

Also we did have the black and white minstrel show until 1978.

I get what you're saying, we've probably made some more progressive moves before the U.S, we have less segregation here, but trying to say all this stuff just comes across like you're trying to say we're better than America, which is a dumb thing to be trying to prove. It's just not a fair comparison for a number of reasons.

I said "wins" mainly to be kind of tongue in cheek, because obviously there's no tournament of tolerance or anything, there's nothing to win. I suppose that wasn't really very clear.

Ehhhh, I should probably just go back and edit my comment.

But again, I stand by my opinion that the UK is just more tolerant of homosexuality than America. So yeah, in that respect the UK is 'better' than America. Better is probably the wrong word for it, though. I'll go and edit that too!

I thought this was going to be some insanely controversial episode judging by the volume of comments. It was...not? Just another very funny i4h. How this generated more feedback than the Animal Lovers episode I will never know.

Intent is all that matters.

So when you step on someone's foot by mistake, instead of apologizing when they yell out in pain, you scream back at them, "GOD, I DIDN'T MEAN TO, IT'S JUST A FOOT, GET OVER IT!"?

Oh wait, intent doesn't matter.

• Like 3

Andrew Ti is racist towards white people. Just listen to any episode of it all of them, they are all exactly the same. I wish Earwolf would dump YIIR but I gave up that fight a long time ago. Thank god all Matt, Matt, Paul and John understand things a little more than Andrew.

Bahahahahhahahaha, but some of his best friends are white!

P.S. Cry more.

• Like 4

Hey Matt, I don't understand why you'd bring on some kid from Twitter to bully (as defined by "the Ethicist") but not actually have on Andrew Ti who's IN L.A. on the same podcasting network. This is the kind of thing that "Case Closed" is built for and he's a person who's actually at your level, which is what Randy Cohen suggested.

• Like 6

Just listened and knew there would be a huge thread. Read all of it, and I gotta say . . . I thought there'd be more Mississippi talk. Vampire shouldn't have to suffer alone! I'm one of the three or four with their foot out the door, but it is kind of hilarious for Matt to say that sweeping generalizations are crazy, especially when it comes to ARKANSAS! but Mississippi is just a racism dumping ground. The South is full of beautiful country sides, cool iced tea on a hot summer's day, and racism. Lots and lots of racism. But so is everywhere in America, so its okay. It's a part of every day life and those who want to acknowledge it and either support or fight it, good on you! But there's no escaping it with this country's history. I'm not saying, "sweep it under the rug", but it's inevitable. There have obviously been strides, but there won't be leaps and bounds for another good long while. I'm from Mississippi and know a lot of wonderful, tolerant people, but most of them were born out of state

Are you kidding?

Nope, this is a real person, living the world, saying racism doesn't exist and being downright racist. Ironic, isn't it?

I think Shariq comes off as a petty person hurling insults at anyone that objected to him, and that has nothing to do with his personal views on anything. Just his incredibly obnoxious and rude forum behavior.

That said, I hope "the monkey in to a girrafe was the biggest stretch" was referring to the girrafes neck!

I disagree. I think it has EVERYTHING to do with my personal views.

Sign in to follow this