🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
juggernaut

Atlantic Rim 2013

Holy Shit. Its like Pacific Rim but, 1 Million times better because it has Treach from Naughty by Nature.

Direct-to-DVD releases aren't that fun to pick apart. This is just a way for The Asylum to cash in on Pacific Rim.

How has there not been a class action lawsuit against this company by all of the people who thought they were watching a blockbuster but got tricked into watching their crap?

How has there not been a class action lawsuit against this company by all of the people who thought they were watching a blockbuster but got tricked into watching their crap?

Would people that dumb even be able to figure out how to hire a lawyer?

I just fell into a deep wikipedia hole when looking them up. They've been sued a bunch by studios, but the most that has ever happened is a delayed release and slight title changes.

I always love reading the Netflix reviews of these. "Don't watch this! Itz a cheap crap lie!!!!! They should take this off of Netflix!!!!!!"

Good article about this company: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8458773/a-look-how-ripoff-factory-called-asylum-makes-mockery-box-office

I always love reading the Netflix reviews of these. "Don't watch this! Itz a cheap crap lie!!!!! They should take this off of Netflix!!!!!!"

My favorite part is how they started explicitly putting things in the movie descriptions like "(not to be confused with the hit Jack the Giant Slayer)".

All the Asylum ripoff movies at Redbox have little disclaimers in the description like "PLEASE NOTE: Hansel & Gretel is not related to the 2013 film Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters". Hilarious.

Having said that, I totally received Asylum's Abraham Lincoln VS Zombies (blu-ray, even) as a gift because my mom probably thought it was the other one.

All the Asylum ripoff movies at Redbox have little disclaimers in the description like "PLEASE NOTE: Hansel & Gretel is not related to the 2013 film Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters". Hilarious.

Having said that, I totally received Asylum's Abraham Lincoln VS Zombies (blu-ray, even) as a gift because my mom probably thought it was the other one.

My friend's girlfriend used to manage a Blockbuster (remember those?), and people really ARE dumber than shit when it comes to mockbusters like this, like they REALLY thought that the movie on the shelf was the same one that just came out in theaters the day before.

Oh yeah, and I just remembered that I saw something in my cable listings recently where the description did read "Not to be confused with...", which was funny, because there is absolutely NOTHING at stake when you're flipping channels. Yeah, when you're at the video store (I feel so old...) or Redbox, you might be out a couple bucks if you mistake it for something else, but if you find yourself accidentally watching "The Day The Earth Stopped" on SyFy, you're not obligated to pay for your mistake with two hours of your life.

Not gonna lie, the Transmorphers cover is pretty convincing.

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, the Transmorphers cover is pretty convincing.

It reminds me of what Corman and those kind of guys used to do in the 50's, where they'd whip up a poster to sell a movie to theaters before a single frame of film was ever shot. It was like "They want to SHOW the movie? Shit, we better shoot it this week then", which was why the movies never ever lived up to the awesome artwork.

• Like 1

It reminds me of what Corman and those kind of guys used to do in the 50's, where they'd whip up a poster to sell a movie to theaters before a single frame of film was ever shot. It was like "They want to SHOW the movie? Shit, we better shoot it this week then", which was why the movies never ever lived up to the awesome artwork.

The same is true of a lot of golden age sci-fi literature - the covers would often have absolutely nothing to do with the content. But they sure were pretty to look at!

I do love that The Asylum's take on United 93 and World Trade Center wound up being titled "The 9/11 Commission Report", as if to say that this was in theaters, I'd be telling my friends to see a film named after not even a book, but a congerssional report.

Also coming soon from The Asylum, AE: Apocalypse Earth, the film that didn't realize Oblivion and After Earth were already terrible.

I do love that The Asylum's take on United 93 and World Trade Center wound up being titled "The 9/11 Commission Report", as if to say that this was in theaters, I'd be telling my friends to see a film named after not even a book, but a congerssional report.

Also coming soon from The Asylum, AE: Apocalypse Earth, the film that didn't realize Oblivion and After Earth were already terrible.

Hey now, Oblivion was silly but at least it was fun and pretty to look at. And none of the spaceships were made of toilet paper.

Sign in to follow this