🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
BigJG

Lost in Space (1998)

I watched this a couple of years ago and found it to be just the right kind of awful -- fast-paced and entertaining, but with lots of ridiculous plot points and some pretty rough CGI.

I loved the movie when it came out, and I remember owning the soundtrack (and having a crush on Lacey Chabert). It has some cheese-tastic lines and some really badly delivered dialogue from William Hurt, Heather Graham, and Matt LeBlanc. Also a terrible child actor and a CGI monkey that changes color.

BUT Gary Oldman is pretty great. As he always is. I think this would be a good episode because it takes such a crazy left turn midway through the movie, and I can just hear Jason screaming "WHAT THE FUCK".

The soundtrack rocked. Crystal Method playing over the end credits. Loved that.

I remember enjoying this movie, in fact, I think I still have the DVD somewhere.... A Hammy Oldman, Starship Captain Joey, the twin pneumatic bosoms of Mimi Rogers and Heather Graham, and William Hurt acting like wallpaper. Both children were irritating, but not as irritating a Blerg, or whatever it was called.

The scene with the spiders was pretty damn good.

Danger Will Robinson! Arms flailing wildly!

I remember I went to New York as a 12 year old boy for a family vacation back in 1998 and at F.A.O. Schwarz they had a "Lost in Space" room... With a replica of the robot of the movie... I SO wanted that Toy! ( Never got it... )

fao%20schwarz%201%20use.jpg

FAO-Lost-in-Space-2.jpg

Amazing!

Oh man I loved this movie. I was 12 when it came out as well. *high five*

I mean it had all the things 12 year old me loved. Space, robots, aliens, adventure, a dorky kid, an emo girl, TIME TRAVEL?! YES PLS. Yeah, like TehJeff I had a big time crush on Lacey Chabert in this movie.

Other than CGI monkey and general hammyness, I will defend everything about this movie.

• Like 1

I remember laughing out loud in the theater when, after they went through the crazy wormhole thing, they immediately identified their location...

Meaning they were NO LONGER LOST IN SPACE. Why did they do that?

Yeah then it's all time travel bullsh*t and Gary Oldman as Bram Stoker's Digital Spider Monster.

• Like 2

If they do this they need to make it a double feature with the other Matt LeBlanc monkey film, Ed.

• Like 1

I was thinking, during The Island of Dr Moreau episode: man, my parents took me to see this when I was a kid, and I actually remember thinking it was good. Or good enough to later pirate on a VHS-to-VHS record after renting from VH1 Video or something. So many terrible movies I just never saw as terrible as a grade-schooler. Probably because there were explosions. And blood. You can't go wrong with those.

So same thing for Lost in Space. I was 8 or 9 when this hit theaters. Coolest. Movie. Ever. That face shield that came down over Matt LeBlanc's face? Yeah, I thought that made Matt LeBlanc the coolest actor I had ever seen. I used to write these terrible sci-fi screenplays around that age, and all of them would incorporate that exact technology.

Hahaha the face shield was legit. Way ahead of its time. Honestly it still looks as good as most new movies, comparable to the Ironmans and Guardians of the Galaxy(Peter Quill's CGI space mask lol)

103044_cf9ba8410514cb08a9ece41ce32aa139.jpg

Spacey military mask and leather bomber jacket, very Peter Quill

lost-in-space-matt-leblanc.jpg

Pilot variation? How versatile

tumblr_moy9ykYAdm1qkimh4o1_400.gif

Ahead of its time. Including things like Lacey chabert being an emo youtube star. And the efficiently oblong space helmets unlike the boxy, angled 2001SO helmets or the NASA fishbowls. It's still a little too square on the edges but an early example of space suit designs that we see in movies now.

LostinSpace42.jpg

lostspace.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, this confirms the Matt LeBlanc face shield is still in my top 10 favorite movie moments. Nothing has changed in 15 years. Carry on!

Hahaha the face shield was legit. Way ahead of its time. Honestly it still looks as good as most new movies, comparable to the Ironmans and Guardians of the Galaxy(Peter Quill's CGI space mask lol)

103044_cf9ba8410514cb08a9ece41ce32aa139.jpg

Spacey military mask and leather bomber jacket, very Peter Quill

lost-in-space-matt-leblanc.jpg

Pilot variation? How versatile

tumblr_moy9ykYAdm1qkimh4o1_400.gif

Ahead of its time. Including things like Lacey chabert being an emo youtube star. And the efficiently oblong space helmets unlike the boxy, angled 2001SO helmets or the NASA fishbowls. It's still a little too square on the edges but an early example of space suit designs that we see in movies now.

LostinSpace42.jpg

lostspace.jpg

Wait, so he completely covers his face and eyes BEFORE having to carefully aim at something?

• Like 1

Wait, so he completely covers his face and eyes BEFORE having to carefully aim at something?

If Sly had this tech in Judge Dredd, he would be 3,000% more safe.

Covers up back of head first to prevent cheap headshot. Turns around. Shades come down over eyes to guard against JJ Abrams lens flares. Locked and loaded.

THIS IS WHY THEY GIVE MATT LEBLANC SPINOFFS.

• Like 2

If Sly had this tech in Judge Dredd, he would be 3,000% more safe.

Covers up back of head first to prevent cheap headshot. Turns around. Shades come down over eyes to guard against JJ Abrams lens flares. Locked and loaded.

THIS IS WHY THEY GIVE MATT LEBLANC SPINOFFS.

I think that this is an actual device that he'd had made a couple years before to shield his eyes from ever having to see that monkey baseball movie of his.

• Like 2

I think that this is an actual device that he'd had made a couple years before to shield his eyes from ever having to see that monkey baseball movie of his.

I had to IMDB that one. Remember that on the walls at video stores. Guess that's a must-add for my viewing list, huh?

Come to think of it, one could really just have a spectacularly horrible monkey movie marathon sometime. Ed, Dunston Checks In (as my personal favorite), Funky Monkey, Most Extreme Primate / Most Valuable Primate. There is a lot of potential here.

I had to IMDB that one. Remember that on the walls at video stores. Guess that's a must-add for my viewing list, huh?

Come to think of it, one could really just have a spectacularly horrible monkey movie marathon sometime. Ed, Dunston Checks In (as my personal favorite), Funky Monkey, Most Extreme Primate / Most Valuable Primate. There is a lot of potential here.

If you include Gleep-Glorp or whatever the fuck the thing is in this movie, I suppose you could call this part two of LeBlanc's "Primate Duology".

Also, I suggest "Spymate", a movie about the adventures of Emma Roberts and her pet monkey spy.

Nudging this one up again, based entirely on the stylised 'LS' logo that they somehow thought was a good idea to generate.

lost-space-all-new.jpg

Kind of like they did with Independence Day ('ID4'), so they kids could say in the playground:

1 "hey, you wanna play LS?"

2 "yeah!"

1 "I'm Matt LeBlanc"

2 "No fair, you always get to be Matt LeBlanc when we play LS!"

1 "I love LS"

2 "Me too, Timmy. Me too"

• Like 1

Studios trying to self-coin "badass" initialisms for their own terrible movies was definitely a thing there for awhile.

MV5BMTgwMDUxOTg2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAyODUyMw@@._V1_UY1200_CR97,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

• Like 1

I remember being so excited for this movie. "JOEYS IN IT!" I was 9 and thought it was weird then. I couldn't take Matt LeBlanc seriously.

21 years later, I still wouldn't be able to take Matt LeBlanc seriously in a non-comedic role. Remember him in Charlie's Angels? :S

$80 Million Budget in 1998, it shows 

Bumping this since These Kids Today are super-into binge-watching "Friends" but, since they weren't around when it was new, they are tragically under-educated in how EVERY SINGLE FRIEND got multiple chances to become a movie star; and this is WAY more entertaining to watch than, say, David Schwimmer in "The Pallbearer".

The helmet vfx to this day remains incredibly impressive. It's hard to decide which Friend had the best non-Friends project. Courtney Cox has an early role in Ace Ventura, but Episodes was awesome and Romy and Michelle's High School reunion is legitimately one of all time favorite movies.

I would watch the Pallbearer over anything Matthew Perry has ever done though.