🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 65.5 — Minisode 65.5

This is a movie in which Dennis Leary leads a ground of starving underground (literally) rebels; not because he wants freedom of speech, expression, religion, or the right to political elections; but because he wants to smoke cigarettes and eat cheeseburgers.

I also found this interesting, concerning the real-life product placement shenanigans behind the movie's "Franchise Wars."

"For some non-American releases, references to Taco Bell were changed to Pizza Hut because the latter had a much larger share of foreign fast food markets in the early 1990s. This includes dubbing, plus changing the logos during post-production. Taco Bell remains in the closing credits. In the Swedish release the subtitles still use Taco Bell while the sound and picture has been altered as above. The original version released in Australia (on VHS) contained Taco Bell, yet the newer version on DVD was changed both in logo and dubbing to Pizza Hut. (In the scene where the restaurant patrons are looking through the glass window to the fight scene outside, "Taco Bell" can be seen etched into the glass, even in the modified version.)"

No matter how dumb that whole business is, it still makes more sense than "Franchise Wars" resulting in all restaurants becoming Taco Bell.

Even more shirt from this movie:

-John Spartan just fucking forgets about his own daughter.

-This is a society so tightly controlled that it has managed to eliminate both toilet paper and fucking, but cannot root out ratburger-eating graffiti artists living in the sewers.

-According to IMDB...

"Even though Jonathan Lemkin was the last writer working on the movie and drafted its shooting script, he lost the Writers Guild arbitration and his name does not appear in the credits. However, the movie's novelization lists him as one of the authors of the screenplay."

There is a fucking NOVELIZATION of this movie. What?

http://www.amazon.com/Demolition-Man-Robert-Tine/dp/0451180798/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

That's not surprising, a crapton of movies in the 90s got novelizations, it's still done a bit today with bigger movies.

This may be a very wrong thought, but did anyone else believe for the first half of the movie that Sandra Bullock's character was going to wind up being Stallone's daughter? Because I did, and let me tell you, it only made the Sex Scene that more disturbing.

This may be a very wrong thought, but did anyone else believe for the first half of the movie that Sandra Bullock's character was going to wind up being Stallone's daughter? Because I did, and let me tell you, it only made the Sex Scene that more disturbing.

It wouldn't be a weird thing to suspect. Especially with her love of action and violence it could seem like that's what they were setting up. It might have given the film more of an emotional center than going with the typical romance thing and abandoning the daughter storyline altogether.

• Like 1

You need to point out at some point in the episode how Sly would go on to remake the exact same movie 2 years later with Judge Dredd.

Seriously it's the exact same movie. Loose cannon cop in the future gets framed by villain for crime he didn't commit. Hero must team up with chick cop and comic relief lesser criminal to take on the villain who turns out to be working for the society's leader but ends up killing the leader to rule the city for himself.

I should add that Judge Dredd is the exact same movie if you took away Demolition Man's main hook: a violent loose cannon cop and criminal set loose in a non-violent PC utopia.

So basically someone thought it would be a good idea to remake Demolition Man by taking out the one interesting aspect.