🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JesseAaron

Snow White And The Huntsman

I finally got around to watching this pile cause it's on HBO. Wow. I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. After the tedious introduction (which isn't terrible, just boring) it just gets dumber and dumber. Charlize Theron's performance is next level crazy. Her brother's haircut is worth its own episode (and he kind of reminded me of Pete Holmes). Great British/Aussie actors are playing Dwarfs (which is somehow forgiven, as long as its fantasy), the CG/creature work sometimes works and other moments fail miserably (the LOST ripoff, not smoke but, glass monster), the plot has giant holes mostly due to a nonsense love triangle with the pretty boy from Pirates 4. I thought Hemsworth and Stewart were fine (except one bonkers speech from the latter) and probably wish they could digitally replace themselves. And mostly I really, really want to hear June's thoughts on the 'feminist' revision of the classic fable. From what I could figure, the hottest woman's blood is magic.

@jessecarp.

I could've maybe enjoyed this movie if Kristen Stewart wasn't the lead. She's like the female Paul Walker, just absolutely no personality.

I could've maybe enjoyed this movie if Kristen Stewart wasn't the lead. She's like the female Paul Walker, just absolutely no personality.

Unlike Walker though, she doesn't say "brah" nearly enough.

I really don't mind Kristen Stewart. And I didn't think she did a bad job here. Though I agree that the feminist message was definitely mixed and/or confused in its execution. That stag scene in the enchanted forest was worth the ticket, though. That was like the Disney cartoon come to life. I don't know that Rupert Sanders has a career left, but he has a great eye.

Really? I think she did a terrible job. I didn't find her likeable or worth caring about or anything.

The stag scene in the enchanted forest wasn't like a Disney cartoon come to life, it was a Ghibli cartoon come to life. There's no way that it wasn't "inspired" by Princess Mononoke. This film had some nice visuals, but I was so thoroughly bored during most of it, and glad someone else paid for my ticket. The Charlize Theron scenes were really the only parts I felt were worth watching because she was really going for it.

Really? I think she did a terrible job. I didn't find her likeable or worth caring about or anything.

The stag scene in the enchanted forest wasn't like a Disney cartoon come to life, it was a Ghibli cartoon come to life. There's no way that it wasn't "inspired" by Princess Mononoke. This film had some nice visuals, but I was so thoroughly bored during most of it, and glad someone else paid for my ticket. The Charlize Theron scenes were really the only parts I felt were worth watching because she was really going for it.

I'm sure there were a lot of influences at play. I dunno, I feel like people really like to dump on K-Stew and she's really not nearly as bad as she's made out to be.

I'm sure there were a lot of influences at play. I dunno, I feel like people really like to dump on K-Stew and she's really not nearly as bad as she's made out to be.

I guess it's really a subjective thing. I don't "like" to dump on K-Stew, I just honestly feel like there's no life in any character she plays. I don't think it's out of nowhere that people criticize her acting.

I guess it's really a subjective thing. I don't "like" to dump on K-Stew, I just honestly feel like there's no life in any character she plays. I don't think it's out of nowhere that people criticize her acting.

It's definitely subjective, I'm not saying people can't dislike her or her acting. I just notice that criticisms of her tend to be especially vicious. I'm not saying you were, you plainly stated she's not your cup of tea. I guess I'm speaking to a broader trend I've noticed when people talk about her. I'm kind of entertained by the things people don't like her for, like her awkward interview persona or her Bitchy Resting Face.

• Like 2

It's definitely subjective, I'm not saying people can't dislike her or her acting. I just notice that criticisms of her tend to be especially vicious. I'm not saying you were, you plainly stated she's not your cup of tea. I guess I'm speaking to a broader trend I've noticed when people talk about her. I'm kind of entertained by the things people don't like her for, like her awkward interview persona or her Bitchy Resting Face.

I know what you mean, I have nothing at all bad to say about her outside of her performance in movies. I actually like a lot of the things she has to say in interviews and such, I like when women in Hollywood push back against the media's bullshit. I don't think she's a lost cause as an actress either, I think she just hasn't been challenged. I think if they stop having her play this 1 note sullen character, she could potentially grow as a performer, and then potentially have something more to offer as a leading lady.

Sign in to follow this