🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
doucheborg

Rubin and Ed (1991)

rubed.jpg

Plot:

Reclusive Rubin Farr teams up with vocal but unsuccessful multi-level salesman Ed Tuttle on a quest to bury Rubin's dead cat in the "perfect spot." Their trip takes them across Utah's desert where they have run-ins with Ed'd ex-wife Rula and an elusive Andy Warhol critic.

There's tons of weird shit in this movie. Did I mention that Crispin Glover is carrying his dead cat across the desert in a cooler? Also, there's this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmmsbvs4dWA

This wonderful little movie was out of print for the longest time; used VHS copies used to go for $40 on ebay. Now you can buy it on DVD straight from the director, at his website. I also recommend The Beaver Trilogy, which is too amazing for words.

Also notable is Crispin Glover's infamous interview on Letterman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYjdKbMT_c

In which he is apparently playing the Rubin character, possibly in an attempt to promote the movie? But the movie's release was delayed for several years and so nobody got the joke. And that is how Crispin's reputation as The Weird One was firmly cemented in the public's mind. (Granted, he is eccentric, but pretty normal if you've seen "regular" interviews).

I love Rubin & Ed, and "My cat can eat a whooole watermelon!" is among the greatest lines anyone has ever spoken. Also! Karen Black plays the ex-wife, and she is a delight as usual.

This movie is now out on Blu-ray, so that means you can get it other ways too (if you are picking up what I'm putting down). I think there are 2 types of movies they cover on HDTGM. First, the ones that are so bad you ask, "how did this get made?" The second is, "how did all the stars align in a way that the universe gifted us with such an awesome movie?" (The Fast and Furious franchise for example.) Rubin and Ed is definitely in the 2nd category. It's so good. The previous posters covered all the bases, so I won't elaborate. 

Sign in to follow this