🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
KSundquist

The Purge (2013)

This film is so amazingly bad. From the stupid premise, to the bad dialogue, to the terrible acting and the moral that they awkwardly shove down your throat, it is laughable from start to finish.

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel like people are copy-pasting user reviews from Metacritic or something.

• Like 3

When I heard the premise of the film I thought it sounded kinda interesting, when I saw the trailer and it seemed to just focus on this one family's crisis inside their home I thought was kind of a waste of a high concept. I haven't seen it but I'm also not that curious to.

It wasn't bad, but it did devolve into just a home invasion movie at the end. I wanted to kill the fucking kids in that movie as they were actively trying to get themselves and their family killed. The premise was very interesting to see play out as it seemed realistic as to how it was handled with groups that were for and against it. And with the underlying theme of people using this event to display their patriotism as well as class standing, it worked well to make a creepy vibe. It wasn't the greatest horror movie, but it at least tried to be original for the most part and with the announcement after the opening weekend that there will be a sequel, I'm interested in seeing where the creators take it, especially if the director's have the sequel set out in a non-upper class area where there aren't guarded houses stocked with guns, but rather in an urban setting out in the open.

I'm interested in seeing where the creators take it, especially if the director's have the sequel set out in a non-upper class area where there aren't guarded houses stocked with guns, but rather in an urban setting out in the open.

That's what I was hoping for when I heard the premise. Because a lawless America has so many possibilities. I like speculative-fiction, but horror/thriller is not a genre that typically interests me for the most part. So I'll probably wait til this is on Netflix or something to check it out.

That's what I was hoping for when I heard the premise. Because a lawless America has so many possibilities. I like speculative-fiction, but horror/thriller is not a genre that typically interests me for the most part. So I'll probably wait til this is on Netflix or something to check it out.

It's definitely worth a rental, especially if it usually isn't your cup of tea. The opening credits for the movie really set up possibilities for sequels as it's security cam footage, both old news footage and stuff shot for the movie, that creates a real sense of dread as people are killing each other on the street in gruesome fashion, all in the name of patriotism.

The premise to this is actually very similar to an old Star Trek episode called 'Return of the Archons'. In the episode they visit this planet where the people are all very strict & law-abiding except for during a 12-hour period called 'Festival', where everyone goes crazy and can do whatever they want (murder, rape, etc.). It's basically the price for being peaceful 99% of the time.

• Like 1

The thing about horror movie franchises with a unique premise is that the first one or two movies can really make you think about that premise or what you would do in that situation, then after 3 or 4 sequels it becomes super watered down. Nightmare on Elm Street had the premise of never knowing what was real or a dream until Freddy attacked which ultimately devolved into figuring out why he was able to do what he did when it really wasn't important to the overall franchise. Saw made you wonder what you would do in a situation like what the victims were being put into, until becoming a gorefest and a message for universal healthcare.

This movie was interesting to think about whether or not you would join in on the Purge or if you would believe in the ritual. Right from the get-go, the Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey believe in the Purge and the "good" that it does for one reason or another, while their douchebag kids aren't as sure. And while it's technically peaceful for 364 days and 12 hrs throughout the year, we as the viewer can see the threads of hatred that are lying beneath which ultimately comes to a head near the end of the movie. It was a very interesting thing to see in a modern horror movie genre which either goes towards gorefest, remake, or PG-13 dreck that is meant to scare only tweens and have hipsters talk about as if it was the scariest movie ever made.

I believe there's

It's definitely worth a rental, especially if it usually isn't your cup of tea. The opening credits for the movie really set up possibilities for sequels as it's security cam footage, both old news footage and stuff shot for the movie, that creates a real sense of dread as people are killing each other on the street in gruesome fashion, all in the name of patriotism.

Alrighty. I'll give it a look-see.

In my mind the perfect thing to do with this premise is follow a couple of different characters who's paths intersect, Crash-style. When your premise asks the compelling question "what would people do if for one day there were no consequences?" you want to see that question explored in varying ways.

• Like 1

The thing about horror movie franchises with a unique premise is that the first one or two movies can really make you think about that premise or what you would do in that situation, then after 3 or 4 sequels it becomes super watered down. Nightmare on Elm Street had the premise of never knowing what was real or a dream until Freddy attacked which ultimately devolved into figuring out why he was able to do what he did when it really wasn't important to the overall franchise. Saw made you wonder what you would do in a situation like what the victims were being put into, until becoming a gorefest and a message for universal healthcare.

This movie was interesting to think about whether or not you would join in on the Purge or if you would believe in the ritual. Right from the get-go, the Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey believe in the Purge and the "good" that it does for one reason or another, while their douchebag kids aren't as sure. And while it's technically peaceful for 364 days and 12 hrs throughout the year, we as the viewer can see the threads of hatred that are lying beneath which ultimately comes to a head near the end of the movie. It was a very interesting thing to see in a modern horror movie genre which either goes towards gorefest, remake, or PG-13 dreck that is meant to scare only tweens and have hipsters talk about as if it was the scariest movie ever made.

I think you've more or less summed up some of the reasons I don't get into horror/thriller films so often. Without an interesting story or characters I usually just feel like I'm watching another variation of attractive people running, screaming, hiding, panting, crying, bickering and being murdered in terrible ways. And without something really compelling in a horror movie I just find them like dreadful to watch, like I'm just enduring unpleasant things happening for no reason.

Saw is a good example of horror franchise I really liked at the beginning, because like you said it's interesting to put yourself in the character's shoes and wonder if you'd make the same choices. But then it started being about how creative the deathtraps could get.

I'd really like to see horror movies try to actually be intellectually stimulating and not just be jump scares and/or gore and the like.

• Like 2

I think you've more or less summed up some of the reasons I don't get into horror/thriller films so often. Without an interesting story or characters I usually just feel like I'm watching another variation of attractive people running, screaming, hiding, panting, crying, bickering and being murdered in terrible ways. And without something really compelling in a horror movie I just find them like dreadful to watch, like I'm just enduring unpleasant things happening for no reason.

Saw is a good example of horror franchise I really liked at the beginning, because like you said it's interesting to put yourself in the character's shoes and wonder if you'd make the same choices. But then it started being about how creative the deathtraps could get.

I'd really like to see horror movies try to actually be intellectually stimulating and not just be jump scares and/or gore and the like.

Actually, I think "Saw" became more about just HOW far up it's own ass a movie franchise could get. So much shit kept getting piled on and on, every hole in the timeline had to be filled with a half a dozen more characters to not give a shit about, and it moved sooooooooo far away from what made it interesting in the first place. It made me kind of miss the days where I COULD just throw in a random installment of a horror series and enjoy and understand what was going on without having to have recently watched the previous four in the last 24 hours to get it.

I will take your word for it, I kinda tapped out at Saw 3.

• Like 1

I will take your word for it, I kinda tapped out at Saw 3.

It pretty much became "Team Jigsaw" after that, where half the movie would be Jigsaw's protege continuing with his uninteresting storyline, while the other half would be filling in the holes of the timeline to kind of sort of half-assedly explain how everything could be happening exactly the way it needed to happen. If there was ever a series that depended more on crazy coincidences to move the plot forward, I'd like to know what it is.

It pretty much became "Team Jigsaw" after that, where half the movie would be Jigsaw's protege continuing with his uninteresting storyline, while the other half would be filling in the holes of the timeline to kind of sort of half-assedly explain how everything could be happening exactly the way it needed to happen. If there was ever a series that depended more on crazy coincidences to move the plot forward, I'd like to know what it is.

The new Saw - Paranormal Activity. I've never seen movies where they go so far just to fill in why there is a camera there in the first place.

The new Saw - Paranormal Activity. I've never seen movies where they go so far just to fill in why there is a camera there in the first place.

On it's worst day, "Paranormal Activity" still comes nowhere NEAR "Saw" when it comes to contrived, tacked-on bullshit. Seriously, watch some of those later ones that depend on like a dozen different people doing exactly what they end up doing for all the pieces to fall into place just right. They're amazing/the most retarded thing ever in that way, and if the HDTGM crew were to do "Saw", they'd have to do the entire series for it to have any chance of making sense.

Oh I know, I own them all as I'm a horror fan, but PA has become like Jaws where the families just need to stay away from cameras as shit gets messed up when they use them, just like how the Brody family should stay away from water.

What my main gripe about The Purge outside of the asshole kids was Ethan Hawke's choice of weapon. It was I guess a shotgun but it looked like the long machine guns from Aliens that were attached to the marine's bodies. This gun was so cumbersome as it had to be pumped a couple times before each shot making it the LEAST effective weapon for defense.

*Spoilers*

I felt like logic went out the window for most of the film. For instance, when Ethan Hawke decided not drag the homeless guy out to the people threatening his family (a stupid choice) he didn't release the homeless dude so he could aid in fight against the baddies. Instead he left him tied up so that the homeless guy could triumphantly break free and intercede at the last moment. Lazy screen writing.

Plus, they painted Hawke as this tragic character who died just after learning the error of his ways. Ultimately his biggest error was not just handing the homeless dude over in the first place. I realize that he's taking the moral high ground but if he handed the homeless dude over they would have just killed him. The alternative was that they would kill Hawke, his family, and the homeless dude.

The stupidest set up of the whole movie in my opinion was the kid's watch that monitors vitals signs. It was just to set up a manipulative pointless scene where the family watches Hawke's vitals as he dies.

But for most of the movie Ethan Hawke was very actively going after the homeless man in order to save his family. It wasn't until every single member of his family decided to be stupid and basically give the finger to the group outside that he stops and decides to defend himself. And this is also after he tortures the man into submitting.

• Like 1

I think what the movie was TRYING to get at was that Hawke made the right choice by letting in the homeless guy because, even if he fed the dude to the Asshole Kids, his neighbors would have stormed his house and killed him and his family anyway. The film is so lazy in its plot and characterization that this never comes across, at least like it should.

Speaking of those Asshole Kids, the moment they came on the screen, I knew I couldn't take the movie seriously... or at least as seriously as I should take home invasion horror movies. They seemed like they were from central casting for Douchebag Frat Boys from a Revenge of the Nerds movie or PCU. I felt like a young Jeremy Piven or Anthony Edwards would show up and prank them and the movie would be over.

The premise to this is actually very similar to an old Star Trek episode called 'Return of the Archons'. In the episode they visit this planet where the people are all very strict & law-abiding except for during a 12-hour period called 'Festival', where everyone goes crazy and can do whatever they want (murder, rape, etc.). It's basically the price for being peaceful 99% of the time.

This movie can never get put on the show. Doing so violates the Prime Directive (Must. Resist. Urge. To rant. About Into Darkness).

• Like 1

Guys! You really need to watch The Purge. It is terrible. If you are looking for a movie with the stupidest fucking kid ever put to film, this is it. I really think it is right up your alley. Love the show! Keep it up!

Or they could just wait a few months for the theatrical release of The Purge 2. It looks like it might just raise the stupidity to even greater heights.

• Like 1

I'm actually looking forward to the sequel as it appears to delve into the premise where the first just started and then evolved into a home invasion film. This one actually appears to offer different views of the premise and give the viewer a real look at the overall mayhem such an event would cause and the separation between the have's and have not's.

I'm actually looking forward to the sequel as it appears to delve into the premise where the first just started and then evolved into a home invasion film. This one actually appears to offer different views of the premise and give the viewer a real look at the overall mayhem such an event would cause and the separation between the have's and have not's.

It could do all of those things, but I'm still sure it will also be incredibly dumb.

Sign in to follow this