🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 44 — Stone Cold Juggalo

The extremely articulate and hilarious Nathan Rabin stops by to discuss his recent book You Don't Know Me but You Don't Like Me which details his misadventures as he followed Phish and Insane Clown Posse on tour, arguably the two most maligned musical acts in existence. Jake talks about his 7-minute Phish experience, fandom in general and is bewildered by Nathan's transition to a phull-phledged Phish phan. The importance of drugs is discussed, and Nathan shares many more incredible tales including how he came to write a coffee table book with Weird Al Yankovic.

Looking forward to reading the book and hearing Nathan on Analyze Phish.

The O'Reilly clip is predictably ridiculous.

The funniest part of the Faygo commercial might be that they had a black pilgrim ("See, we're totally not being racist!").

Jake your show is one of the most unique and entertaining on this website, I really appreciate all your work. Thanks for opening so many eyes instead of going after low-hanging fruit.

• Like 3

Awesome to see Nathan Rabin on the show! I'm really looking forward to the write-up on the AV Club's podmass.

THE REST

It's hard to imagine why such a disgusting human being would even be allowed inside the Earwolf studios. Hopefully this was recorded before they knew he was a backstabbing turncoat who abandons his fellow writers. In any case, this episode is unlistenable.

• Like 1

This was a great episode, and I can't wait to read Nathan's book (when it was mentioned on the Best Show and what its subject matter was I knew I had to get it). My main problem with juggalos and the ICP is how homophobic and sexist what they are all about is. I tend to be you like what you like and I won't disabuse you of that, and they are all about "family" or whatever, but their family is so hateful that I can't get on board, regardless of my opinion of their music or the music of psycopathic records. #Helicopter Rides.

Oh and Bobcat Goldthwait has a fascinating story about performing at the gathering of the juggalos which can be heard in episode 51 of Harmontown, which is Dan Harmon's (creator of community) podcast

• Like 1

Jake, maybe the podmass folks will like you if they got to know you.

Have they heard your Columbo impression?

I always cringed at Weird Al. All my dumbass friends thought his stuff was the greatest. Anyways, I listened to him on WTF and he might be the nicest man in the world. Seriously, I mean just the nicest and most genuine .. really a 'sweetheart' of a guy.

Now I have to say..

"you know what - he works hard and puts his whole heart into making some goofy funny thing that cheers someone up and nobody gets hurt. So appreciate it for what it is".

*turning into my Grandfather btw.

Now to the future:

MORE KINDLER PLEASE!

Jake, in light of your friendship with Project Girl from HRO, does this mean you also have connections to former HRO it-girl Bebe Zeva?

Jake, in light of your friendship with Project Girl from HRO, does this mean you also have connections to former HRO it-girl Bebe Zeva?

no, bb.

Great episode! I've always been fascinated with these subcultures of bands that I just absolutely do not get. Side note - my sister and brother-in-law have met/worked with the 2 guys in ICP a few times and have both said they were really nice, normal dudes.

Carrie Brownstein mentioned this in her NPR/Phish thing but one of the reasons Phish isn't aggressive is that they come from mostly stable and/or wealthy homes. It's really 4 music nerds doing exactly what they want to do. I mean, the keyboard player's father was on the team that invented Tylenol.

any time you have to bring up drugs to enjoy something you've already lost

I strongly agree with this.

And I actually came to this show after listening to the new Analyze Phish. Rabin and his personal journey sounded really interesting on that, so I thought I'd give this a shot, and it was a funny, intelligent listen.

I find the ICP talk more fascinating than the Phish stuff, simply because the Phish experience (as described) is so inherently tied to drug use. Granted, there was mention of drug use in regards to juggalos, but the experience seems way more connected with disenfranchised kids who feel a need to belong to some sense of family. That is more relatable to me than a drug-fueled party, man, though I agree with Patrick LeJeune that this family vibe is tarnished by homophobic and misogynistic themes within the music.

I find the ICP talk more fascinating than the Phish stuff, simply because the Phish experience (as described) is so inherently tied to drug use. Granted, there was mention of drug use in regards to juggalos, but the experience seems way more connected with disenfranchised kids who feel a need to belong to some sense of family. That is more relatable to me than a drug-fueled party, man, though I agree with Patrick LeJeune that this family vibe is tarnished by homophobic and misogynistic themes within the music.

And even more so among the fans!

But about the Phish stuff seeming less interesting, I think the biggest reason is that you can't help but compare it to Analyze Phish, which is one of the greatest things in the universe to listen to.

Ugh I couldn’t finish this. The topic was fine as I capital L Love Weird Al, am ambivalent about Phish and enjoy hating ICP, so that’s all okay. But the guest’s way of speaking put me off immensely. His cadence and inflection were so off putting and hard to listen to. He WOULD TALK REAL BIG then get so small. Plus he would laugh at the most odd moments making it even harder to understand what he was saying. I’m conflicted about the most recent installment of Analyze Phish because I want more of that show so badly but I don’t know if I want to listen to more of him.

Loved this episode, really interesting discussion. Definitely not a fan of either band, but that just means that they're not FOR me. I'm a big believer in the philosophy of "just because YOU don't like something, doesn't mean you have to actively HATE it, so maybe quit shitting on people for having fun incorrectly, snobby guy"

Sure, it's not the pithiest philosophy. And I think it could get me fired from the internet if the wrong people heard about it. But the Fogelnest Files always seems to support that pop culture worldview, this episode especially.

Sign in to follow this