🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Brett Arnold

Episode 229 — Two Thumbs & Not Much Else

Well I understand what that guy's saying, sometimes Scott can get stuck on a particular bit for a little too long. Like when every episode had the anti-comedy contest of Alive or Dead or Hollywood Facts. But if you don't like something the show will eventually evolve and find new things to be obsessed with. I've listened since the start of the podcast and there are very few bits that perpetually stick; maybe everyone fast-forwarding to plugs. I appreciate the Scott's experimentation and it's not always gonna work for everybody all the time. So have some patience and enjoy the show!

• Like 1

I am getting worried for Paul. When not in character, not only does he tell Scott to please call Mr. Marshall Garry, but he also uncontrollably repeats Cake Boss. What is next, is the real PFT going to start hating nature and loving Coco?

You didn't hear this from me, but word is that PFT is in talks with Earwolf for their janitor position. The only thing he's asking for is a weekly salary

• Like 1

Lately however, I've been having to skip through or just not listen to more and more episodes, as Scott's really getting annoying. Stuff like the singing and lame wordplay is self-indulgent and and as Marc Maron put it so well, "precious." It's like hanging with a bunch of theater kids who can do nothing but reiterate the same tired inside jokes over and over again. I can't even listen to the ads anymore as they've gotten so drawn-out and grating that I'd rather miss a few minutes of content than suffer through having Scott do stuff like repeatedly and annoyingly yell "TING!" in my ear for 90 seconds. I wish more guests would tone Scott down a bit. Like in this episode, when Scott kept trying to force the bit about verbalizing every "period" and Ben responded with "This is so stupid." I practically cheered.

I find Scott's "tired inside jokes and word play" wonderful and he is delightful in every episode. I would kiss him right on the mouth if given the chance, you can take that to the bank!

• Like 6

Scott is the best part of the show! He's what gives the show its unique tone. I feel like kids these days just don't appreciate good comedy in Barack Hussein Obamacare's America. Everyone's so obsessed with their current technology it's like they can't step back and appreciate a comedian who's doing something totally unique and brilliant--I mean, iPods, iPads? iDon'tKnowAnymore!

• Like 4

I feel like kids these days just don't appreciate good comedy in Barack Hussein Obamacare's America. Everyone's so obsessed with their current technology it's like they can't step back and appreciate a comedian who's doing something totally unique and brilliant--I mean, iPods, iPads? iDon'tKnowAnymore!

tumblr_inline_mn4stoCiVk1qz4rgp.gif

Why is Scott having fun on his show!? I thought this show was called Misery Bang Bang!!

• Like 7

I think Scott knows exactly what he's doing.

I also think that if I started looking at things like Marc Maron does, I'd probably off myself.

• Like 2

I can't even listen to the ads anymore as they've gotten so drawn-out and grating that I'd rather miss a few minutes of content than suffer through having Scott do stuff like repeatedly and annoyingly yell "TING!" in my ear for 90 seconds.

Why were you listening to the ads in the first place?

• Like 1

Why is Scott having fun on his show!? I thought this show was called Misery Bang Bang!!

Please, call it Misery Bing Bong!

• Like 1

Lately however, I've been having to skip through or just not listen to more and more episodes, as Scott's really getting annoying. Stuff like the singing and lame wordplay is self-indulgent and and as Marc Maron put it so well, "precious." It's like hanging with a bunch of theater kids who can do nothing but reiterate the same tired inside jokes over and over again. I can't even listen to the ads anymore as they've gotten so drawn-out and grating that I'd rather miss a few minutes of content than suffer through having Scott do stuff like repeatedly and annoyingly yell "TING!" in my ear for 90 seconds. I wish more guests would tone Scott down a bit. Like in this episode, when Scott kept trying to force the bit about verbalizing every "period" and Ben responded with "This is so stupid." I practically cheered.

That's odd, I was just coming here to mention how great Scott's been recently. He's always been a good host, but now almost every episode guarantees as much hilarity as a top-tier guest (PFT, Heidecker, Daly, etc.) spot used to. I'd be gutted if Aukerman decided to take a dry, shrunken (poison ivy) leaf out of Maron's book.

I just wish he'd do more in-character appearances on other shows. His Ben Franklin on The Dead Author's Podcast had me in tears.

Lately however, I've been having to skip through or just not listen to more and more episodes, as Scott's really getting annoying. Stuff like the singing and lame wordplay is self-indulgent and and as Marc Maron put it so well, "precious."

That guy is such a hack. Everyone knows that material was based on the stand-up special "Push," by Sapphire.

• Like 1

I find Scott's "tired inside jokes and word play" wonderful and he is delightful in every episode. I would kiss him right on the mouth if given the chance, you can take that to the bank!

I find the lame wordplay and corny inside jokes hilarious as well. It is totally in line with my humor. Maaaah wiiiiiife just rolled her eyes reading this, I guess you could say I love cornea jokes.

• Like 2

Well I understand what that guy's saying, sometimes Scott can get stuck on a particular bit for a little too long. Like when every episode had the anti-comedy contest of Alive or Dead or Hollywood Facts. But if you don't like something the show will eventually evolve and find new things to be obsessed with. I've listened since the start of the podcast and there are very few bits that perpetually stick; maybe everyone fast-forwarding to plugs. I appreciate the Scott's experimentation and it's not always gonna work for everybody all the time. So have some patience and enjoy the show!

Word.

As it seems from the responses my post generated on this thread, I was right to say i'm in the minority in regards to how I feel about the show's latest swing towards more word-play and gimmicks. Still though, this fellow makes a very good point that all shows go through phases. I'm certainly not giving up on CBB, as it is a fantastic show. But will be screening them for guests I know will be good, (i.e. Kroll, both Dalys, Mantzoukas, St. Clair, Parnam, PFt as Herzog or Ice-T, etc.) in the future.

But folks who love the stuff I don't like, maybe you have help me out. Can you tell me why Scott demands silence through the "Would You Rather" theme song? It's not funny in and of itself, takes up air time, and sometime when people do talk over it (which does make me laugh) Scott's fake anger isn't funny either. What's the point?

But folks who love the stuff I don't like, maybe you have help me out. Can you tell me why Scott demands silence through the "Would You Rather" theme song? It's not funny in and of itself, takes up air time, and sometime when people do talk over it (which does make me laugh) Scott's fake anger isn't funny either. What's the point?

That humor is subjective is your answer.

• Like 4

That humor is subjective is your answer.

Exactly. Scott's demand for silence during 'Would You Rather' is one of the funniest bits on the show, for me. Especially when he busts out a "Shut the fuck up!" to an unsuspecting guest.

I generally don't think it's useful to ask others to explain why something is funny. It either strikes you, or it doesn't.

Monty Python was funny to me, despite the fact that I had no knowledge of the English politicians and media personalities they were spoofing.

SNL's Patrick and Gunther Kelly sketches are funny to me, despite the fact they aren't actually satirizing anything.

The 'Would Your Rather' silence is funny to me... because it is. Scott demanding reverence for something so silly is great.

• Like 2

Exactly. Scott's demand for silence during 'Would You Rather' is one of the funniest bits on the show, for me. Especially when he busts out a "Shut the fuck up!" to an unsuspecting guest.

"Would You Rather" is also a grand experiment in evolving a comedy bit over time. Consider the following permutations over the four-year history of the show:

• Theme song plays while the guests regularly talk over it

• Scott cuts off the theme song whenever he grows tired of it

• Scott starts insisting that people shut the fuck up for the full duration of the WYR theme

• Variations on "We all know how this is played, so…GO!"

• Scott introduces a formal explanation (still beginning with "We all know how this is played…") that he reads verbatim each episode

• Scott introduces the Would You Rather Pile (which is not a pile of Would You Rathers that Scott is going to use, like you would use wood from a woodpile)

• Scott introduces the notion that the floor will close for questions and there will be no warning.

He talked about his fondness for running gags in this AV Club interview from last year. (Search the page for "running gag".) It's not a product of being "precious" or lazy; it's a conscious decision to establish a pattern and then break that pattern in favor of a new one.

• Like 4

Anyone else anticipating tomorrow's B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-O-N-U-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S episode as if it were Christmas Eve today? I mean for premiere week last year, we got Tim Heidecker, Reggie Watts, Jon Daly and Andy Daly.

I can't even imagine what Scott Tabletop has in store for tomorrw!

• Like 2

Anyone else anticipating tomorrow's B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-O-N-U-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S episode as if it were Christmas Eve today? I mean for premiere week last year, we got Tim Heidecker, Reggie Watts, Jon Daly and Andy Daly.

I can't even imagine what Scott Tabletop has in store for tomorrw!

there's a GUESS THE GUESTS from the fb page...

17593_635813586430462_603346673_n.png

Two VERY good guests - and two that make a ton of sense, considering their major involvement in CBB TV.

I'm blanking on the one to the left. Any ideas who it is?

C'mon, man. The afro is a dead giveaway!

It's Erykah Badu.

If every single performance of a song from this point on doesn't automatically devolve into the Mos Eisley Cantina song, then we have failed as a race.

• Like 2

Everyone's so obsessed with their current technology it's like they can't step back and appreciate a comedian who's doing something totally unique and brilliant--I mean, iPods, iPads? iDon'tKnowAnymore!

That's what I'm trying to say!