🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 66 — Demolition Man: LIVE!

I like the live shows but sometimes the HDTGM crowds need to chill with screaming stuff out while the gang is talking...

• Like 1

Just an FYI, Lori Petty is the same age as Sandy B, and they are both 20 years younger than Stallone, so something was clearly up with the Casting choices.

Also, Naked Wrong Number Girl has her own Wikipedia Page. A Penthouse Pet of the Year who says Jesus is the greatest love of her life. Wow.

I like the live shows but sometimes the HDTGM crowds need to chill with screaming stuff out while the gang is talking...

this episode did seem especially bad with people wanting to be a part of the show

• Like 1

There are a lot of people to blame for the "ching-chong" bit in this movie. From Snipes, to the director, to the editor, to the execs, to the marketing people...a whole bunch of people saw it and either laughed out loud or were like, "eh, its just Asians. Who cares?"

There are a lot of people to blame for the "ching-chong" bit in this movie. From Snipes, to the director, to the editor, to the execs, to the marketing people...a whole bunch of people saw it and either laughed out loud or were like, "eh, its just Asians. Who cares?"

Was this something that his character had always done, like in everyday life before being captured? I can say with near 100% certainty (unless it was just my girlfriend and her family) that southern California was QUITE full of Asian people in the 90s. If Phoenix stopped to make fun of ALL things Asian, I'm surprised he ever got any crime done.

Was this something that his character had always done, like in everyday life before being captured? I can say with near 100% certainty (unless it was just my girlfriend and her family) that southern California was QUITE full of Asian people in the 90s. If Phoenix stopped to make fun of ALL things Asian, I'm surprised he ever got any crime done.

What I think was that it was supposed to be a comment on the tension between the Asian American and African American communities following the LA riots. I feel that I don't need to take socio-political statements from crazy ass action movies.

• Like 1

Also, if you all ain't checked out Wyatt in Medicine for Melancholy, you should. It's a good movie and is on Netflix Instant.

• Like 1

What I think was that it was supposed to be a comment on the tension between the Asian American and African American communities following the LA riots. I feel that I don't need to take socio-political statements from crazy ass action movies.

So yeah, it DOES surprise then that he had time for crime...unless he was knocking over Chinese restaurants and Korean grocers...

So there was a lot of discussion of the three seashells as being more complicated than either a toilet or a bidet, but what if the reason they were used was they were simply more eco-friendly?

So there was a lot of discussion of the three seashells as being more complicated than either a toilet or a bidet, but what if the reason they were used was they were simply more eco-friendly?

Then why not just use a bidet?

Then why not just use a bidet?

Because bidets use more water than the seashells.

I saw this with my Uncle when I was 13, and I have a really embarrassing confession to make: When the movie was over I jumped up out of my seat and yelled "YEAH, DEMOLITION MAN!" That's not the embarrassing confession though: In the next few weeks in school I was taking some kind of questionnaire, and one of the questions was something like "What do you think the future will be like?" All I wrote was: "Demolition Man"

Thinking back on this now I can't stop laughing at how stupid I was back then!

• Like 1

I saw this with my Uncle when I was 13, and I have a really embarrassing confession to make: When the movie was over I jumped up out of my seat and yelled "YEAH, DEMOLITION MAN!" That's not the embarrassing confession though: In the next few weeks in school I was taking some kind of questionnaire, and one of the questions was something like "What do you think the future will be like?" All I wrote was: "Demolition Man"

Not embarrassing at all. I like this movie, but it is funny to hear the gang's take on it.

Well played "Ryan Sz." Let's add to that crazy with this. Simon Phoenix is the twin brother of Nino Brown from "New Jack City," also played by Wesley Snipes. After the death of his twin brother in 1991 in New York, Simon heads to LA to "start up a drug syndicate."

I think "Demolition Man" has broken my brain.

Cracked thinks you were more right than you do:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/proof-that-E28098demolition-manE28099-was-visionary-film/

• Like 1

I have to point out two omissions. First, did nobody notice the C-4 drums before the building exploded? Second, Huxley makes a comment about Spartan's active duty arrest record that basically works out to Spartan made at least one arrest per day in the three years leading up to him finally catching Phoenix, which just doesn't sound mathematically feasible to me.

Oh, you mean the ones that were conveniently labeld "C-4"? Nope, missed 'em. And IIRC, it was a thousand arrests over a three-year period, which means three arrests a day, with one especially asskickingly good day with four arrests.

-It's interesting that the International version changes lines about Taco Bell to lines about Pizza Hut, when they are in fact, owned by the same company (along with KFC). I actually live not far from a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combined restaurant. You would think these restaurants would have banded together during the Franchise Wars, but perhaps this was like the Civil War, pitting franchise brother against brother?

Now that's a movie I'd like to see. (Along with several seasons of a COPS spoof show about the San Angeles Police Department. Please make this happen?)

I am amazed that no one has pointed this out: the schedule shows an inmate named Scott Peterson - but Scott Peterson didn't kill his wife until 2002. So this movie predicted Scott Peterson would be a murderer 9 years in advance.

If you can get a screenshot of this I will most likely shit myself. (Although this Scott Peterson was probably arrested for tax evasion. Or swearing.)

Overall, it's a very dumb but enjoyable movie, and you guys didn't talk about Rob Schneider enough.

Because bidets use more water than the seashells.

But don't you still have to rinse off the sea shells? I mean, every time they showed the shells there were only three of them. So either people are sharing them after use, or flush them and get more. And as was pointed out, they look to be metal, so they must be manufactured.

So the options are either everyone uses the same shit covered sea shells, or they washed off, or they are thrown out and more are made in a factory and used later.

And IIRC, it was a thousand arrests over a three-year period, which means three arrests a day, with one especially asskickingly good day with four arrests.

You do "RC", but Leil's math is right - that's roughly one per day.

But don't you still have to rinse off the sea shells? I mean, every time they showed the shells there were only three of them. So either people are sharing them after use, or flush them and get more. And as was pointed out, they look to be metal, so they must be manufactured.

So the options are either everyone uses the same shit covered sea shells, or they washed off, or they are thrown out and more are made in a factory and used later.

It sounds like someone had the idea for the seashells after wiping their ass with their soapdish when there was nothing left to use.

• Like 1

I grew up in Louisville, KY where a promotional stunt was held for Demolition Man. A building was demolished, Sly Stallone and Dan Cortez pushed the button, MTV showed the building collapse live...it was a big deal.

That evening, there was a special advanced screening of DM. Unbeknownst to anyone, Stallone was scheduled to appear at the showing. When he arrived at the theater, people were cheering and chanting "Rocky" and "Rambo". Once the noise died down, my friend yelled "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot"!

Stallone whipped around and shot us an "Eat Shit and Die" look.

True story.

• Like 5

What if Scott Peterson mdk'd his wife because of DM? It wasn't a prediction but more a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am also interested in the cryo-sleep dream theory but what if its Simon Phoenix's dream not John Spartan's, oh I just went VANILLA SKY on your ass. It's penance for all the bad things Simon did, he gets to keep getting his butt kicked by Spartan for eternity.

I just realized the dumbest thing about this entire movie. The scene where Coctou and Phoenix first meet, and Phoenix can't pull the trigger because he's been programmed not to kill him. If in this world and this future they are capable of behavioral programming to that degree then:

WHY NOT DO THAT WITH EVER FROZEN PRISONER?

You could take this further. If Coctou really wanted to kill Freely, then he could just reprogram any prisoner--not the most violent psychopath in the entire prison. You could just take any guy and make it so that all he wants to do is kill Freely, and no one else.

• Like 1

I have decided that when I renovate my bathroom I'm going to put in a shelf with three metallic seashells. I may regret this decision once someone decides to use them though.

• Like 1