🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 67 — Sharknado

Crazy to think that an "of" is all that stands between Asylum and a Columbia Pictures lawsuit. It must be sad to be an inspiring actor/actress and a cadre of mockbuster movies is all you can get. As long as it pays, I suppose.

Working for Asylum probably isn't like being Scrooge McDuck swimming in his money pool, but they give a lot of work to actors, writers, vfx houses, etc. There's a guy here in Portland who has written some Asylum flicks (

comes to mind) and it supplements his day job; not everyone can say they've written a script that got filmed, released, and is available at a Redbox.

There's a good interview with him here. Choice quote:

"They don't give a fuck if you don't like their movies," Horton laughs. "They love their reputation—they embrace it. You just gotta have fun with it." Horton has the same attitude when it comes to his IMDb page. "I mean, it's a two-headed shark," he says. "You can't make a serious movie about that! There's no way in the world! There's less way when they cast Carmen Electra to play a doctor."

Those were my two most-wanted memes from this episode, so nice job!

Another great June line (which was too long to meme): "It posited a world I don't want to live in, Sharknado or no."

I also love that she said "shark tornado" multiple times.

Given that they kept the beach open after the initial attacks, I have to wonder if this takes place in a reality in which Larry Vaughn moved west and was elected mayor of Santa Monica.

Don't know if I can finish the episode. Gotta find a way to see this! In the meantime, I found this.

Your poster would have been perfect if it just had bees in it.

stwt.jpg

now it's perfect!! BEES WATER AND CAGE!!

• Like 1

It was great to hear Scott say those words ... Those words he hasn't said in so long: "What's Up, H_t D_g"? I don't want to spell it all out, for fear of sullying the sacredness of that phrase.

BUT, having said that, I feel like this show needed a fully licensed Icthyo-meteorologist on board. It pains me to say it, but the show fell short in it's attempts to explore the science of sharknados. I mean, if Professor Blastoff was doing this topic, they would have gotten an expert.

I don't know, guys. I just feel like you're not taking this seriously.

I had to look up The Asylum's filmography after you mentioned some of their movies that I hadn't heard of and I came upon Clash of the Empires, a Hobbit ripoff starring HDTGM darling Bai Ling. This is the synopsis of Clash of the Empires:

In an age long ago, the last village of clever, peace-loving Hobbits is attacked and enslaved by the Java Men, komodo-worshiping, dragon-riding cannibals. Now the young Hobbit Goben, along with his father and sister, must seek help from the "giants" (human hunters) to find the Javas' lair and rescue the last surviving Hobbits, Goben's mother among them. In their quest to destroy the Javas, the heroic partnership of humans and Hobbits will transform both species forever.

You need to do this movie.

• Like 1

I spent the first 20 minutes of this movie thinking Tara Reid had had so much plastic surgery I could no longer recognize her.

The sharks look more realistic than her.

And my potential sequel title is Snakequake.

There was b-roll of the Arlington police directing traffic when they left Fins.

Also, Tara Reid had an obvious shake when she took that first call. Anyone else catch that?

Thunder Levin really hates Los Angelenos.

Arachnidalanche. There's a fucking avalanche of mutant spiders from the hills of the Hollywood sign down into the city. Disrupted from their podcast taping on Sunset Blvd., the How Did this Get Made crew, with guest Hot Soccermom, navigate the streets crawling with the hideous eight legged monsters to try to find the one man, famed insect and critter wrangler Stanton D. Harrison (played by Harry Dean Stanton), who can proved insight to the living nightmare.

Ice Spiders remake?

Ooh, it's on Time Warner's OnDemand, so I don't have to wait til Thursday!

I am 110% behind any campaign to get Paul/Jason/June in the Sharknado sequel.

What ... is ... a ... streetfighter?

Highlight of the show

This movie also seems to posit that Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Van Nuyes, and downtown LA are all within walking distance of each other. Which, if you know anything about the LA are, you'll know is definitely not true.

Working for Asylum probably isn't like being Scrooge McDuck swimming in his money pool, but they give a lot of work to actors, writers, vfx houses, etc. There's a guy here in Portland who has written some Asylum flicks (

comes to mind) and it supplements his day job; not everyone can say they've written a script that got filmed, released, and is available at a Redbox.

There's a good interview with him here. Choice quote:

It would be fucking awesome if he'd do a signing AT a Redbox!

Soooo, the guy playing Tara Reid's son is 8 years younger than she? Someone was busy in elementary school!

I have a few problems with Nova that I hope everyone else picked up on.

In the beginning of the movie, it's established that Nova is a name she chose, something to escape her past. When I saw this, I felt like it was a setup for "Oh I killed someone in the past" or "Oh I did something I'm not proud of in the past." Like the name change just seemed like a setup for something that she did wrong in her past. But then she tells Matt that that thing in her past was her grandpa and others getting eaten by sharks. Why did she feel the need to completely change her identity just because something bad happened to her grandpa that was completely out of her control? She also hates talking about the shark bite scar on her leg, yet does nothing at all to try and hide it by wearing short shorts.

Also I think my favorite thing of the entire episode was June's From what I know about tornadoes...

Jesus, that sounds like the "Jaws: The Revenge" method of escaping your problems. My grandpa got eaten by a shark and I don't want to be reminded of it? I know, I'll work on a fucking BEACH.

• Like 1

OK, so I'm watching "Sharknado" before listening to the episode, and Ian Zeiring JUST got his hand bitten by the shark that landed on their car. Will he start to develop shark-like tendencies and attack the other survivors like some sort of shark zombie? I so fucking hope so...

• Like 2

Soooo, the guy playing Tara Reid's son is 8 years younger than she? Someone was busy in elementary school!

Remember, he's half Ian Zeiring's kid, so he probably shares the same "I'm a teenager in my thirties" gene that afflicted much of the teenage population of Beverly Hills in the early 90's.

• Like 2

crossover with abrams star trek takes place on the volcanic planet nibiru going to call it tribbleflow

• Like 1

Okay, I watched this because well... it's the kind of thing one must see. While there are many things that are strange or note worthy I was oddly transfixed by the image of the flooded street in front of a Family Mart. See, I live in Japan and Family is like one of the largest convenience stores in the country. In fact there are three within a two minute walk from my apartment. Then on the podcast it is brought up, and I couldn't tell if they had no idea what Family Mart was or not. Are there Family Mart convenience stores in America? If there are, is there just like one or two which makes it an iconic location or something? Or was this some sort of nod to Japanese funding? Maybe somebody here can let me know.

Also, earlier EricTheInch had talked about the opening scene. What I find extremely bizarre about it is the fact that it does seem to be some sort of environmental message, but the whole movie kinda undermines it. Yes, the fishing of sharks just for their fins is a huge problem. However, the rest of the movie just has sharks killing and eating everybody they see which really goes to enforce the negative image of sharks and non-stop murder machines. Maybe it's just me but I found the juxtaposition of these two things funny.

• Like 2

I want to hear more June. I think you guys should do an episode that is either her in the lead for the thing, or give her a stand alone one where she talks about her theories on some of these movies. I think she sometimes (don't kill me) gets a bit bullied during episodes. I don't think it is intentional, just the strong personalities of Jason and Paul. So yeah, love the show and this episode, but I demand more June!

• Like 1