🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Just putting this one out there. I remember it being in theaters, but have yet to see it (will soon, it's on the Encore schedule), but I wanted to throw it out there since Stallone will soon become king of HDTGM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UNQB1Lo1s

• Like 2

I don't know if I ever seen this movie. I remember the trailer but I don't think i've ever watched it. Rhinestone is a masterpiece in crazyness. but you need hear plugs to enjoy it. We've still got that arm wrestling movie to look forward to. "Over the Top"

I rather liked this movie, although I am partial to a bit of farce. It's been awhile, but when I would catch it mid-movie while channel surfing, I'd often get pulled into watching the rest of it. I'm aware that it's not popular with non-farce fans.

Yes.

This movie is a classic Stallone comedy, in the vein of Rhinestone. Appearances by TIm Curry, Harry Shearer(!), Chazz Palminteri, a very sexy Marisa Tomei (so we know Jason is going to come).

The line "Yeah, yeah. Reading's my passion." -- Sylvester Stallone.

It's basically a bobo Shakespearean comedy.

This film also marks the beginning of the end of John Landis's career where after Oscar, we would later get Beverly Hills Cop III, The Stupids and Blues Brothers 2000.

This film has 5 stars out of 358 reviews on Amazon. Bump because I know that can't be true.

Sly stars in this "period farce", as Angelo "Snaps" Provolone, a gangster who makes a promise to his dying father (Kirk Douglas) that he will go straight, "hilarity" ensues. The cast is over-stuffed with a weird hodgepodge of actors. Marisa Tomei plays his petulant daughter, Lisa Provolone. His goons are played by Chazz Palminteri, Peter Riegert, and the one and only Joey Travolta. Tim Curry and Harry Shearer also make appearances. All the 1940's scenery is thoroughly chewed, as every actor seems to relish in the gangster slang, 40's clothing, and wacky accents. All the actors are really going for it with the Marx Brother-esque humor, but it's just so bad. Every attempt at humor in this movie falls flat. This and "Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot", which came out the year after this, pretty much killed any chance Sly had at comedy stardom. After this he did a string of straight forward action films. This piece of shit won three Razzies, and was based on a french film from 1967, which was based on a play. Why someone thought this would be a great comedy vehicle for Sly, I have no idea. Siskel and Ebert gave this two thumbs up.

This Wikipedia entry has me sold on adding this one to the HDTGM queue.

"A month later, Snaps awakes at his mansion and begins his important morning. He has a meeting with several prominent bankers, as he hopes to donate a large sum of cash and join the bank’s board of trustees, thereby having an honest job and keeping his word to his father. Anthony Rossano, Snaps's young, good-natured accountant, arrives at the mansion and tells his boss that he’s in love, asks for a 250% raise, then tells Snaps the true love he speaks of is actually "Snaps's daughter." Snaps is furious, does not want his daughter marrying Anthony and goes to talk to his daughter, Lisa."

Paul just mentioned this film as one of the top 5 worst films he has ever seen for the AV Club! Future episode perhaps? Here is the link right here: http://www.avclub.co...all-time-259110

You reminded me of this film a year to the day after I commented a recommendation for it. I think this film is worth doing, but now for a different reason...the fact that a lot of people seem to think Oscar is actually good! It might make for some interesting debate, especially if they can find a guest who likes the movie. There are sooooo many 5-star reviews on Amazon. There are only five 1-star reviews, and they're more about packaging issues than the actual film. There's over 500 reviews!!! What am I missing? I think even Siskel or Ebert gave the movie 3 out of 4 stars.

• Like 1

A 1991 comedy Starring Sylvester Stallone as a Mob boss trying to go legit, set in 1930's Chicago. This movie is amazing it has everything you want Syl's amazing acting skills, Tim Curry! and Marisa Tomei, and of course Joey Travolta older brother to John Trovelta.

This is bad, but growing I really liked it. It would be a great movie for the show. There are multiple story arcs going on, over acting that is just amazing. Everyone is basically yelling their lines.