🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kickpuncher

Matt and Kanye

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/we-saw-kanyes-hbo-pilot-and-it-wasnt-that-bad.html

Kanye once took comedy as seriously as he takes everything else, going so far as to pay UCB co-founder Matt Besser (along with Cenac) to come to his apartment to give him private improv lessons: “It was me, Kanye, and [his road manager] Don all doing improv together with no audience, no feedback, and they never wanted to get off the couch. So imagine Whose Line Is It Anyway? but, like, in a car." And Kanye’s HBO-size dreams were big ("He kept talking about Curb Your Enthusiasm, and he was also like, 'This is also kinda like my version of Entourage'), but according to Cenac, he was also realistic about his own skills: “Kanye knew he wasn’t a good improviser. He’d read something that Seinfeld said about surrounding himself with better talent and that he would rise to the occasion. And so that was his hope."

Matt, I would be fascinated to hear as much about this as you're willing and/or allowed to say, either here or on the show. And if that's "not at all", I totally get it, but figure the article would still be of interest to fellow fans of the show.

There are a few more details in this episode of Jordan Jesse go. If you're interested, the Kanye part begins around 84:00.

It's pretty funny and definitely worth a listen. I'd love to know the name of the poor improviser from the end of the story just to put a face on him, especially of he's been a guest on I4H! For some reason I just picture a nonplussed Paul Rust or Mookie Blaiklock, standing in front of Kanye and his friends, not knowing what to do. And that image is hilarious.

• Like 1

I read about that too and am also now super curious. I reeeaaally hope this is something Matt wants to talk about at some point, but I kinda have the feeling that if he wanted to he would have by now.

Gawker has been doing a whole series on it. I guess someone leaked the full pilot and they've been showing it around.

"Yes, and... I'mma let you finish"

MATT IS TALKING ABOUT IT ON THE LIVE VPN WHO CHARTED RIGHT NOW!!!!!

I think the fact that Kanye is an all around douchenozzle means he earns no "improv doctor patient confidentiality."

Sign in to follow this