🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Darian

X-Men 3

So they covered the terrible Spiderman 3, I think it's time for the Brett Ratner debacle, X-Men: The Last Stand.

Such a terrible movie.

Obviously it made a ton of money, it was still ad bad bad bad movie

I don't think it's bad enough to warrant an episode. It was very disappointing, but IMO nowhere near the levels of awfulness of Spider-Man 3.

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem with this movie is not that it was such a bad story on its face, but that it shat all over characters they'd spent 2 movies getting us to like. Cyclops gets killed off screen (off screen!), Jean isn't herself 3/4 of the story, Professor X turns into a major douchebag, Mystique gets sidelined like 20 minutes in...and it's all done in favor of characters we don't give 2 craps about, like Juggernaut, Angel, Psylocke, Callisto, etc.

Fox was determined to hit a release date, even after a bunch of things happened that would have been reason to delay or shut down the whole thing, like multiple director changes, what must have been a zillion re-writes, etc. Brett Ratner works fast, gets the job done, and you never hear about him rocking the boat, and I think he gets WAY too much blame for this (he didn't write the damn thing), especially considering that he was probably one of the last people brought on to the project.

Yeah, I gather Fox was playing hardball with Singer over Superman Returns, which caused a lot of problems. Plus, Halle Berry apparently raised a stink and said she wouldn't come back unless Storm's role was expanded to main character status.

I think it's also easy to blame Ratner because A)his track record as a director stinks and B)he's a massive douche IRL and is incapable of hiding it.

Yeah, I gather Fox was playing hardball with Singer over Superman Returns, which caused a lot of problems. Plus, Halle Berry apparently raised a stink and said she wouldn't come back unless Storm's role was expanded to main character status.

I think it's also easy to blame Ratner because A)his track record as a director stinks and B)he's a massive douche IRL and is incapable of hiding it.

He'd had mostly hits up to that point though, and I think it would have been better for both franchises if Singer had stayed put and Ratner had done Superman, as he'd had the gig at one point before Singer. Instead, Superman was slow and miserable, X-Men was rushed as all hell, and both films were disappointing.

I think the biggest problem with this movie is not that it was such a bad story on its face, but that it shat all over characters they'd spent 2 movies getting us to like. Cyclops gets killed off screen (off screen!), Jean isn't herself 3/4 of the story, Professor X turns into a major douchebag, Mystique gets sidelined like 20 minutes in...and it's all done in favor of characters we don't give 2 craps about, like Juggernaut, Angel, Psylocke, Callisto, etc.

I also felt like this movie wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. It definitely had major flaws, but there was a bunch of stuff I liked too. I don't have a problem with how Jean or Xavier were handled. I do dislike how they mishandled Cyclops' character in all of the movies and then killed him, I'm a big fan of Cyclops. As a nerd I have problems with the whole X-Men franchise in general, I think they could've made much cooler movies if they were more reverent to the source material, but I don't think the 3rd one was that much worse than the other 2, personally.

• Like 1

The Professor X of X-Men 3 is totally unidentifiable to me as the same character from the previous two movies. If they'd done a secret reveal at the end showing he had been possessed by an alien for the entire movie, I would have totally bought it.

I honestly don't know what you mean. But I haven't seen the film in a couple years.

I could think of one thing that may have been able to fix the movie. Heres a hint: it starts with David and ends with Hayter. Seriously though, I wasn't bothered to much by the directing, but I will say the script seemed much weaker in this one than the previous two movies. I certainly wasn't a fan of it, but I'm not sure that there's enough to talk about on the show.

I could think of one thing that may have been able to fix the movie. Heres a hint: it starts with David and ends with Hayter.

When did Solid Snake become an X-Man?

I just watched "The Wolverine", and I'm actually pretty thankful for the one-two punch of not great and outright abominable that was "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", because I think it was that desperation to get things back on track that brought us "First Class" and this week's new film, which has me super fucking psyched for "Days of Future Past" now. Fox can fuck so many things up, but when they take it easy a little allow some new ideas, sometimes they strike gold. See also: "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and kind of, sort of, although I don't really want to admit it because I still want to see where/if it goes, "Prometheus".

He writes in addition to doing VO work and being awesome. He did the scripts for the first two X-Men movies and a few others.

I don't think it's bad enough to warrant an episode. It was very disappointing, but IMO nowhere near the levels of awfulness of Spider-Man 3.

I agree with you re; disappointment versus outright awfulness. X3 had some good moments in it. But, for me, it seemed like one of those cases where they were trying to cram in WAY too many characters and threads. For a while, that seemed to be part of the Hollywood super sequel: just keep adding characters.

Iron Man 3 suffered the same fate.

I was more annoyed that Frasier became one

• Like 1

Hey baby I hear the BLUES a-callin', tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

(See what I did there? Ok. Sorry)

• Like 4

Iron Man 3 suffered the same fate.

Really? I know some folks have issues with elements of the storyline of IM3, but I felt that movie avoided the overstuffed problem.

I was annoyed that Kitty Pryde kept using crazy made-up slang that no one understands and that she had a hard time hearing what anyone was saying because she was talking on a hamburger phone.

• Like 1

I was annoyed that Kitty Pryde kept using crazy made-up slang that no one understands and that she had a hard time hearing what anyone was saying because she was talking on a hamburger phone.

Oh, and how was that not her dream totem thingie in "Inception"? Only she knows the proper balance and weight...

• Like 1

how about Juggernaut being Professor X's step brother but in X3 he's just some random mutant

how about Juggernaut being Professor X's step brother but in X3 he's just some random mutant

I really don't think that's a huge problem. If you fault that, you'd also have to hate basically giving Jubilee and Kitty Pride's back stories to Rogue.

There are always going to be changes to comic mythology in the movies.

On top of that, Juggernaut's not even a mutant in the comics. He found some magic crystal thing and BAM, superpowers. They may have retconned it later on though to have it make more sense when he actually joined the X-Men. In fact, I'm pretty sure they did.

Sign in to follow this