🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PlanBFromOuterSpace

The Wolverine

I just got home from watching this tonight after work, and I think I had more fun with this movie than any of the summer's other superhero/comic films. I mean, it's not fun in the sense that it's a laugh riot or anything, it's a pretty serious story for the most part, but it's the character being what the character's supposed to be in a setting and story that make sense, and that was incredibly enjoyable to see. I dug "Iron Man 3", but Tony Stark's become a little too Jack Sparrow, and I liked "Man of Steel" just fine even if it seemed confused as to who and what Superman is supposed to be, but "The Wolverine" just fucking nailed it with the character and tone, with a minimum of out of place elements (Viper served a purpose but seemed kind of unnecessary). I'm not giving anything away, as it's right there in the trailers and TV spots, but it was also refreshing to see a story about a hero that loses his powers and/or wants to stop being a hero in a franchise that's six movies deep, not in the second film RIGHT after we met the guy, a la "Spider-Man 2", "Dark Knight", "Superman 2", and some others I think I'm forgetting.

While watching this film, I was reminded of other great "white guys squaring off with Japanese baddies" films such as "The Last Samurai", the criminally underrated Christopher Lambert classic "The Hunted", the Dolph Lundgren "Punisher", and "Black Rain".

Also, does anyone remember when it was a big deal that Wolverine called someone a DICK in the first "X-Men"? We've certainly come a long way, but I don't think we'll see his new catch phrase (first introduced in "First Class") on kid's t-shirts anytime soon...

the criminally underrated Christopher Lambert classic

You're the first person to ever have typed that.

You're the first person to ever have typed that.

That a Christopher Lambert film is underrated, or that a Christopher Lambert film is a classic? That film is a miracle in that it's BOTH! I had the poster from the VHS release when I was back in high school, but unfortunately it's long gone :( Holy shit is it ever on Netflix though!

That's not the first time I've seen someone invoke The Hunted with this movie.

I just got back from this and thought it was great. My only disappointment might have been that it runs off the continuity of X3 instead of pretending it didn't happen, but I guess I can get over that. Plus that post-credits scene! Very excited for Days of Future Past.

I just got back from this and thought it was great. My only disappointment might have been that it runs off the continuity of X3 instead of pretending it didn't happen, but I guess I can get over that. Plus that post-credits scene! Very excited for Days of Future Past.

I really, really liked the stuff with Jean though, and I think the events of Future Past will fix much of the wrongdoing of part 3, so I'm fine with Wolverine being X-Men 3.5.

• Like 1

That's not the first time I've seen someone invoke The Hunted with this movie.

"The Hunted" should be invoked more often. Yup, people need to invoke the SHIT out of that thing.

I never had too much of a problem with X3 outside of it having to deal with the Phoenix which may have been too big for one movie. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed this movie as the previous Wolverine sucked, though I felt the main villain could have used a bit more of a story besides what he wanted from Logan. The end credit scene was fantastic and I did geek out a bit when the two characters showed up and set up for next year. My only worry is that Days is a huge storyline as well, so I hope that it doesn't get so crammed into a movie that will be probably 2 1/2 hours.

I never had too much of a problem with X3 outside of it having to deal with the Phoenix which may have been too big for one movie. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed this movie as the previous Wolverine sucked, though I felt the main villain could have used a bit more of a story besides what he wanted from Logan. The end credit scene was fantastic and I did geek out a bit when the two characters showed up and set up for next year. My only worry is that Days is a huge storyline as well, so I hope that it doesn't get so crammed into a movie that will be probably 2 1/2 hours.

I don't hate the basic story of X3, I just hate the way the characters were treated.

Yeah I could see that, I feel that it was an attempt to make the best out of a shitty situation, but it was a lose/lose no matter what.

Sign in to follow this