🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 68 — Over The Top: LIVE!

I wish we had gotten to hear a little more Bobby, but then again everything he added to the conversation was gold. So it pretty much balanced out.

And the money I would pay to see June's look of confusion when they mentioned Stalone's multi-shirt-change...

Definitely noticed - the audiences are now coming massively prepared and I sense they are JDR fanatics at heart. Love how HDTGM is rising to the challenge.

Yeah, the audience questions were fantastic on this episode. Great show all around.

• Like 1

HEY YOU GUUYSS! There's a new poll up on FOR YOUR INCONSIDERATION! Vote away!

This round is from the Rotten Tomatoes "Worst Reviewed Summer Movies" list (thanks Lando for the tip!)

It's amazing how many of those movies we have already done...

Kazaam? FUCK YEAH that needs to be done!

As far as this movie goes, I would have loved it if while the happy 80s music was playing in the credits, it was a shot of the arcade kid hanging in the diner bathroom after suffering the loss to Michael and the subsequent mockery of his cronies, because that was a loose end that was left untied.

Also, to me it appeared that it was still double elimination in the finals, but Bull got disqualified as he headbutted Hawk(s) and pulled his arm up when Hawk(s) tried to go over the top, which led to the ref tying their hands together a la "Beat It."

I wish this was fake, but it is not. (Note: Last name Hawks)

1000301_10151766284592660_14395248_n.jpg

WITH 'REAL' ARM WRESTING ACTION!!!!!!!

• Like 1

BTW Jason, Over the Top is NOT on Netflix Instant, unless you also get the DVDs.

It was at the time of the podcast recording. Someone probably tipped off Stallone that it was on instant and took it down because he can.

Damn, the insufferable actor who played Mike Hawke(s) had a pretty impressive resume even before this film.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0578903/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

He was in a weird ass movie called Streets like two years after Over The Top, where he did a full on sex scene with Christina Applegate! He went from this to a softcore sex scene in TWO YEARS.

Just one point: If the producers/directors etc of this movie saw that the double elimination aspect was confusing to audiences, why not (DOUBLE) ELIMINATE IT? They are making this up as they go along anyway. If the drama of a loss is what they wanted, they could have plugged in a scene where Hawk(s) loses, but then the other guy turns out to have cheated or something, allowing Sly to continue in the competition.

For years I've remembered this movie as a kidnapping story. The son was kidnapped and Stallone had to arm wrestle to get him back? Not sure why that seemed more probable to me than a man winning back his son's affection via the internationally popular sport of arm wrestling.

Amazing episode this week. Everyone was on fire! Bobby was an excellent guest - loved his "I don't care about other people's lives" comment. So funny. Continuing to love Jason and JDR's interactions like "when they go into that steakhouse" "June... June... not a steakhouse." All three hosts have been destroying with the funny recently. Excellent movie choice, too.

• Like 3

Wow, what a fantastic episode, definitely in my top 10. Mad props to the HDTGM crew and Bobby, especially for these three reasons.

1. I have a feeling they kept the lid on the whole "Mike Hawk" thing on purpose as a treat for whichever audience member got to it first during the questions. There's no way such a crew would have missed that, so leaving it for the audience was magnanimous of them.

2. I have never ever thought of listening to the kids' arm-wrestling scene as a transaction between a whore, her john, and her pimp. Now I can never forget it. Jason, you are a twisted genius.

3. And you're also quite prescient. Case in point:

over-the-topless.jpg

Also, for what has to be the greatest collection of "Over the Top" screen grabs and gifs, check this out:

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/over-the-top/

hey guys loved the episode. i edited the stop or my mom will shoot trailer, and im gonna edit the abusive relationship over the top trailer. is there anything you want to be in the trailer?

My arm-wrestling name would have to be "Neil Armstrong"

Mine would be Griff Octane. That's my go-to totally fake action star/wrestling name if I ever need it.

hey guys loved the episode. i edited the stop or my mom will shoot trailer, and im gonna edit the abusive relationship over the top trailer. is there anything you want to be in the trailer?

The bit about it being like turning a switch, like how he can go from likeable guy to raging abusive asshole.

found this beauty by donrickles on tumblr

tumblr_mqto3kUMS81rcoly3o1_500.gif

I think it's gorgeous.

• Like 3

This might be nit-picking if it weren't the actual title of the movie and the entire key to winning a truck and freeing his son from the non-kidnapping but...

I'm pretty sure the signature move has no realistic basis in arm-wrestling physics?

It sure surprised his opponents though - the looks on their faces was pure WTF!

This might be nit-picking if it weren't the actual title of the movie and the entire key to winning a truck and freeing his son from the non-kidnapping but...

I'm pretty sure the signature move has no realistic basis in arm-wrestling physics?

It sure surprised his opponents though - the looks on their faces was pure WTF!

Yeah, the look was a mix of "wait he can do that?" and "oh shit how am I supposed to combat against that?!"

• Like 1

Just sharing this image from a heavy metal sampler that someone showed me:

2013samplerfinal_zpsdbc1061a.png

Just sharing this image from a heavy metal sampler that someone showed me:

2013samplerfinal_zpsdbc1061a.png

I see his picture, but I don't see the name Kenny Loggins anywhere on that list. Hmmm.

Sign in to follow this