🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EarlwolfGuy

The Invasion (2007)

A totally, unnecessary and uninspired adaptation of a classic, which began with a screenplay by Dave Kajganich, directed Oliver Hirschbiegel. Partway through or after principal photography (I am unclear), the studio fired Hirschbiegel and replaced him with the Watchowski Brothers, to rewrite the film and preform additional shooting. The studio then replaced the Watchowski Brothers with James McTeigue to preform, yet-again, more reshoots and to add a "twist ending." The film is a hot-mess. The actors look bored. And it all is reflected in the film. Why was this adaptation needed? "How did this get made?"

One has to wonder how you screw up Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I mean, even if you just played it like every other version of the story, you'd still hit more marks than you'd miss. And the moral was just insane. 'Be happy there's horrific violence every day, because that just means humans are still humans and we haven't been replaced by alien pods!'

I saw this movie the weekend it came out with my mother and I had no idea it was that bad! Once I checked out what Rotten Tomatoes has to say and how it did at the box office, I think my fears were right.

I HATED this movie. I'll forgive a Body Snatchers movie with a happy ending, but think about it: the premise is that everyone becomes a snatcher (or whatever) and does awful stuff. Even if the people who were replaced had no memory, everyone who didn't probably have a hell of a traumatic experience and this would probably have a horrifying effect on the populations psyche. But the ending basically says "Don't worry folks, this mass mindfuck in no way interrupted the status quo."

Boy was it awful. But it's been a while since I've seen it. Is it HDTGM crazy, or just tepid and dumb?

Sign in to follow this