🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EarlwolfGuy

X-Men: First Class

When I walked out of this movie, everyone was raving about how awesome it was. I felt like I had taken crazy pills. Nothing made any sense! Characters acted without any motivation; did things for no reason. The writing was terrible. It might not be perfect for HDTGM, because it obviously got made because it was X-Men. Maybe it would be better titled How Did This SCRIPT Get Made? Did the actors, all of whom are great, read the script?Please tell me I am not alone on this.

This film was far from perfection, but it was still entertaining and served it's purpose. I liked it. I thought McAvoy and Fassbender had great chemistry together. It was really sleek and visually great movie.

I don't think the script is the most overrated aspect of the film though. I thought the script was terrific. I DO think the most overrated aspect of the movie was the acting. Aside from McAvoy, Fassbender, and Bacon (for the majority), I didn't really think some of the cast was as great or captivating as critics made them out to be. Jennifer Lawrence felt really awkward in most of her scenes (probably her worst acting job yet, but I've only seen like 5 of her movies). January Jones was DREADFUL. She just acted like a drone the entire time. Some of the scenes with the younger team would have been better with better acting.

But for the most part, I liked X-Men: First Class. I can tell you that you are not alone in not caring for this movie, but I don't think it is worth a HDTGM episode.

I would take a full HDTGM episode that is just about the scene in First Class where Kid Magneto was freaking out at Shaw killing his mother. I laughed out really loud in the theater during that scene and the people around me thought I was crazy and cold-hearted. Now THAT was an awful scene.

If any X-Men film deserved an episode, it would be "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", which made way less sense, contradicted so much of what came before it, did irreparable damage to what could have been cool characters, and just did more to hurt the franchise than anything else. I wouldn't necessarily say it was the "Batman and Robin" of the X-Men franchise, but maybe the Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" of its series in that future filmmakers went "Shit, we don't really want to keep going in that direction or reboot everything again really, so let's just ignore it".

• Like 1

One of the weirder things is that this movie is the third reboot of the X-Men movie franchise to feature Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (X-Men, Origins Wolverine, First Class). Normally you'd think, yeah, same guy as same character means the same continuity. Nope.

"Yeah, I grew up with Mystique. She was pretty much like my adopted sister. Did I never mention that before? Yeah, that is weird." - Professor X from any of the X-Men trilogy of movies.

It's like suddenly making Sabretooth be Wolverine's brother in Origins. Even if Wolverine has amnesia, Sabretooth doesn't. How does that never come up in that first movie? Or Cyclops never bringing up meeting Wolverine during this timeframe.

Anyway, yeah, this was a really boring movie.

I thought it was a fairly entertaining movie. January Jones was definitely the worse part of it, even if you don't mind her shitty acting, she just didn't fit the character she was playing at all, but I guess that's also the writer's fault.

The way they kinda half-ass rebooted it was really weird and confusing too.

Also, they killed the fucking black guy. Who barely got to really do anything. Boo.

But Magneto hunting down Nazis was cool (I wish that had been the whole movie). And there were some great action sequences.

• Like 1

I actually thought January Jones was perfect for that character. She's supposed to be an ice queen (har har), and that's kind of the only thing JJ can pull off. Thus why she's so good in Mad Men but basically nothing else.

I agree about Darwin (the black guy), but if they follow the comics he should make a return appearance (basically he turns into a pure energy being). I think Edi Gathegi even hinted that it was in the works to bring him back at some point.

She wasn't even adequate as Emma Frost in my opinion. I wouldn't even say she pulled off being an "ice queen", so much as she just pulled off being a boring lady. Emma's a really strong character, very confident, bold, assertive, morally ambiguous. But I felt like when they cast her they were like "Who's a hot blonde?

Watching the movie I definitely didn't get any sense that she was the character I read in comics.

It'd be cool if they bring him back. But watching him die was definitely an eyeroll worthy "Of course" moment.

That movie wasn't HDTGM material based on McAvoy's and Fassbender's performances alone, not to mention the aforementioned Nazi hunting scenes. I agree that all the students pretty much sucked though, unfortunately.

If any X-Men film deserved an episode, it would be "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", which made way less sense, contradicted so much of what came before it, did irreparable damage to what could have been cool characters, and just did more to hurt the franchise than anything else.

I think they probably should have stopped and got their heads checked around the time they cast Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

I think they probably should have stopped and got their heads checked around the time they cast Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

I thought Ryan Reynolds was a pretty excellent Wade Wilson, and it's a damn shame that he didn't even GET to play Deadpool. Man, did they ever fuck that up, and I hope we still get a proper Deapool film, Reynolds or not, because I refuse to believe that that...thing in that first Wolverine flick was Deadpool. Reynolds can actually safely say that he wasn't THAT either, because it was another actor or a stuntman or something.

I honestly think Ryan Reynolds was/is perfect for Deadpool. There's a Deadpool script written by the Zombieland guys that I haven't read yet, but word of mouth is that it's awesome, "nearly NC-17", and Deadpool is aware that he's in a movie and makes reference to his portrayal in Wolverine.

I always love that gif, even when I don't agree with it.

I thought Ryan Reynolds was a pretty excellent Wade Wilson, and it's a damn shame that he didn't even GET to play Deadpool. Man, did they ever fuck that up, and I hope we still get a proper Deapool film, Reynolds or not, because I refuse to believe that that...thing in that first Wolverine flick was Deadpool. Reynolds can actually safely say that he wasn't THAT either, because it was another actor or a stuntman or something.

Fair point. I just don't understand how any writer could get Deadpool so wrong.

Sign in to follow this