🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 68.5 — Minisode 68.5

I saw crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles in theaters and don't remember anything about it(Tells you how much I liked the movie)

I started the Bill Simmons thread and I don't even like him that much, except for his podcast. He'd be a great guest because all he does in his columns is overanalyze garbage movies.

I'd like to make it weird

tumblr_ml7ocgrw5v1s8rn8po1_500_zps27a54610.gif

Weird or hot?

I started the Bill Simmons thread and I don't even like him that much, except for his podcast. He'd be a great guest because all he does in his columns is overanalyze garbage movies.

u dad i learned it by watching u

• Like 3

Joseph Sargent directed the original Street Fighter in 1959, too bad June was not there to ask him what that is.

• Like 1

Children's Hospital had the funniest line about the actor in these movies.

"I watched many of my friends go on to movie stardom while year after year I was stuck at this TV show. I was originally offered Crocodile Dundee, but the show executives strictly enforced my contract. So now, many years later, my good friend Paul Hogan is a former millionaire."

• Like 1

Because you're a terrible parent. A terrible, terrible parent.

OK, not really. But seriously, how does he have such easy access to "Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles"? You may as well let him play in traffic and keep a gun in the house while you're at it, because they're all equally destructive!

He plays in the street with a loaded handgun. How did you know? It teaches him a valuable lesson about civil engineering about defending himself against the fascist gubmint. 2nd Amendment because freedom!

Actually, I have engaged in a very careful cultural curriculum for my kids. The Dundee thing was decidedly off-book. My 11yo son is steeped in classic comedy: Abbot/Costello, certain Mel Brooks films, and selected (non-dirty) Kids In the Hall. I have no idea what his reading scores are, but he Monty Python's at a high school level.

• Like 1

So, after spending the last three days watching all of the Crocodile Dundee movies in order, I definitely see where this went off the rails. Crocodile Dundee II was actually pretty violent and more Indiana Jones-esque, and to see it go from that to family film is just bonkers. I mean, Dundee has dealt with Prostitutes and Columbian Cartels, and now THIS.

We also need to talk about the teacher who is Wet for Dundee and his friend Janko (Played by an actor who played a different character in the last movie. He was a villain then and now is his friend ARE THEY EVEN TRYING!)

So, after spending the last three days watching all of the Crocodile Dundee movies in order

Your commitment to HDTGM is commendable, sir. Please PM me your address for your complimentary breakfast burrito.

I am not watching any Croc Dunds. I remember thinking how silly and kind of bad they were as a kid, and I usually didn't give a shit about anything I was watching. Looking forward to the episode though, and I'm glad it's not It's Pat because christ on a bike do we really want anyone to have to sit through that?

• Like 1

So, after spending the last three days watching all of the Crocodile Dundee movies in order, I definitely see where this went off the rails. Crocodile Dundee II was actually pretty violent and more Indiana Jones-esque, and to see it go from that to family film is just bonkers. I mean, Dundee has dealt with Prostitutes and Columbian Cartels, and now THIS.

We also need to talk about the teacher who is Wet for Dundee and his friend Janko (Played by an actor who played a different character in the last movie. He was a villain then and now is his friend ARE THEY EVEN TRYING!)

You gotta feel like you wasted a ton of time with the first two, right? Since the events in those films have virtually no impact on #3.

I'm watching this now - three things immediately sprung to mind.

This movie starts with 15 minutes that have virtually nothing to do with the rest of the movie. And the nonchalance in which the "storyline" shifts is pretty crazy. I put quotes around "storyline" because there is so little story in these 90 minutes, it's stunning. Have you ever wanted to watch a guy wander around Hollywood backlots over and over, while his wife sits at a computer? If so, this movie is for you!

Second, it's amazing that this movie was made in 2000/2001. There's never been a movie that feels more like it was a product of 1986.

Why does Croc's wife deliver every line of dialogue in the most flippant way possible?

I prefer to think that Molis is Mike Ehrmantraut's Eastern European brother.

And Jocko's line that there's no high-rise building in New York that's as dangerous to be in as a Los Angeles skyscraper.

Let's not forget this film was released... in 2001. Oops!

Your commitment to HDTGM is commendable, sir. Please PM me your address for your complimentary breakfast burrito.

I watched every single Jaws and Spider-Man movie for these guys

• Like 1

You gotta feel like you wasted a ton of time with the first two, right? Since the events in those films have virtually no impact on #3.

tumblr_lrh7hqNIM51qii6tmo1_500.gif

I like watching films in canon, and I'm on Summer Break, what can I say?

It's actually really interesting watching all of these movies in order, because the second movie ends with two Columbian Drug Lords dead at the hands of Linda Kozlowski's character while she is in witness protection in Australia. And we're just transported 13 years later with no reference to that again!

The first movie was actually very charming and I found it incredibly enjoyable to watch. I phased in and out of the second one, while this...this basically is a reboot of the franchise rather than a sequel. Not only are we to believe that Croc Dundee has never visited an urban city in 13 years, but that he's still as naive as he was before he came to New York. It is mental.

The first one is a legitimately great movie. In fact, I think Paul Hogan was nominated for a Golden Globe for it - which is saying something when you see the kind of "acting" he's doing by Part 3.

• Like 1

Really, this movie is a series of unfunny and unconnected sketches that takes the Crocodile Dundee character and puts him on various Los Angeles studio backlots and other LA locations. Maybe that's why Dundee is sometimes able to... educate his Outback comrades on the ways of "The Big City," while at other times he seems totally ignorant of how things work. I mean, he's still foiled by remote controls and a bath tub. It's like he's a time traveler from the 19th Century and just came to early 21st Century America last week and now thinks he's an expert. Incidentally, that would make a better movie than this one.

Speaking of making a movie on a studio backlot... maybe that's a cost-saving measure? You don't need to build any sets if your movie's climax takes place somewhere that requires there be NO set, or at least a purposely cheap-looking one.

On the cusp of the Breaking Bad premiere, I loved seeing Jonathan Banks showing up in a character-actor-type role, especially something as trashy as this. It gave me reason to continue watching.

And finally, do you need a smarmy villain for your TV show or film? Jere Burns will do it, and do it well. Another Breaking Bad connection, even though he wasn't even slightly villainous when on that show.

The first one is a legitimately great movie. In fact, I think Paul Hogan was nominated for a Golden Globe for it - which is saying something when you see the kind of "acting" he's doing by Part 3.

You are right, Hogan actually did win a Golden Globe for his work in the first "Crocodile Dundee", plus that film was even nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay!

Not only are we to believe that Croc Dundee has never visited an urban city in 13 years, but that he's still as naive as he was before he came to New York. It is mental.

Yeah it'd be one thing to suspend your disbelief that Australians don't know anything about 'big city life' (even though proportionately, more Australians live in urban areas than Americans), but we've seen this exact character living in New York City for the past two films.

You guys obviously aren't familiar with the idea that there are a ton of differences between New York and Los Angeles, many of which are very comedic!

• Like 2

I have a feeling this will be a short episode - or will deal more with Berry's problems with Paul Hogan while writing. Because aside from the few things I and others have mentioned, there's not much to talk about with the actual movie. There's just not that much going on!

I just watched it and the biggest takeaway for me was the Terribly Emaciated Lions at the end of the movie. What the fuck!?

Also, could this have been one long Outback commercial? (car or restaurant, you pick)

And was Linda Kozlowski in Linda Koslowski drag?

Sign in to follow this