🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 69 — Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles

I get you. So, if Hogan is paying these guys via the production company that is making the movie AND they were just turning in scripts to him and not registering them, then they would have just got the money for the drafts. But the drafts don't have to be by the union rules do they? That's something that the production company and the agent would work out, right?

Most likely, but it's hard to know for sure. There's also a huge issue with verbal agreements vs. written contracts, and that permeates almost all deals in Hollywood. So the agents and the production company might have something verbally worked out, but without a written agreement, they wouldn't get far in a legal proceeding. At least with respect to writers. Screen talent usually gets fucked in those verbal agreement suits, cause their value is perceived as so much greater, like how Whoopi Goldberg had to make that awful dinosaur cop movie. i feel like they've mentioned that on HDTGM at some point?

This is very interesting, and sort of depressing. I mean, that's a scary proposition that you have to CONSTANTLY be out on the lookout for people who will steal your work right from underneath you. I have a friend that is a screenwriter in LA, and he talked about registering his spec scripts with the WGA, but I never heard him say anything about the drafts.

Yeah, interestingly a lot of people will tell you registering your original / spec scripts with the WGA is sort of a waste, cause if someone is gonna steal your original idea, they won't be so brazen about it. They'll change it up enough that they have some legal justification to claim it as original. The WGA registration is a lot more beneficial in a situation like this, where you're doing something for hire and want to make sure you don't get fucked by an unscrupulous person / company down the road.

I was a little surprised that Paul didn't bring up any possible connections between Matt Berry's love of fantasy football and Paul's FX show.

Berry was on an episode of 'The League' back in season 3. As soon as they announced they were doing this movie I was 100% certain they would have him on. Didn't miss them talking about it.

Not to make Matthew Berry feel badly, but perhaps the reason they got the gig was that no one else wanted it. I know a paycheck is a paycheck, but I highly doubt anyone would be excited about writing the third Crocodile Dundee movie.

If that's the case, I'd do what all of the other writers did: come up with some crazy idea (a la Croc in Space) that Hogan and his company would never approve. When Hogan turns it down, you don't have to worry about turning his movie down. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of the writing teams spent more time trying to come up with a pitch that wouldn't be used than Berry & Co did to come up with their practice pitch.

Really solid episode. IT'S BEEN awhile since we've had a Director's Cut episode, and it did not disappoint.

How did he not know what a skunk is

Australian skunks look totally different than American skunks. In the original draft, Hogan pulled a dead skunk out of his pocket and said "That's not a skunk! THIS is a skunk!"

• Like 1

They talked about the bad guy played by Jonathan Banks who plays Mike on Breaking Bad, but I knew I recognized the main bad guy played by Jere Burns as well.

Turns out he's also a recurring character on Breaking Bad. He's the leader of Jesse's support group. The one who ran over his own daughter.

Most likely, but it's hard to know for sure. There's also a huge issue with verbal agreements vs. written contracts, and that permeates almost all deals in Hollywood. So the agents and the production company might have something verbally worked out, but without a written agreement, they wouldn't get far in a legal proceeding. At least with respect to writers. Screen talent usually gets fucked in those verbal agreement suits, cause their value is perceived as so much greater, like how Whoopi Goldberg had to make that awful dinosaur cop movie. i feel like they've mentioned that on HDTGM at some point?

Yeah, interestingly a lot of people will tell you registering your original / spec scripts with the WGA is sort of a waste, cause if someone is gonna steal your original idea, they won't be so brazen about it. They'll change it up enough that they have some legal justification to claim it as original. The WGA registration is a lot more beneficial in a situation like this, where you're doing something for hire and want to make sure you don't get fucked by an unscrupulous person / company down the road.

Thanks for the information! Can you start using EarBear as your pseudonym so that I know what tv episodes/movies to watch? I wanna support a fellow HDTGM fan.

They talked about the bad guy played by Jonathan Banks who plays Mike on Breaking Bad, but I knew I recognized the main bad guy played by Jere Burns as well.

Turns out he's also a recurring character on Breaking Bad. He's the leader of Jesse's support group. The one who ran over his own daughter.

Yeah, it was pretty funny that they knew Banks from Breaking Bad, but identified Burns with a sit-com from 20 years ago (one that wasn't a huge hit and he wasn't the lead in, at that) rather than Breaking Bad or Justified.

Thanks for the information! Can you start using EarBear as your pseudonym so that I know what tv episodes/movies to watch? I wanna support a fellow HDTGM fan.

Oh I'm not a successful screenwriter or anything - I'm just some dickhead talking out of his ass, like the rest of the internet.

Guys, I think the whole "telephone" freeway scene is actually an homage to the FIRST Croc movie's climactic subway scene, in which Linda Koslowski comes bounding after Mick saying "Don't Go, I'm not gonna marry Richard!". The stereotypical New Yorkers pass her message along the crowded subway platform.. Mick gets the message, and romantically crowdsurfs back to her. I think this Croc 3 freeway skunk scene was an awful, awful attempt to recapture that same magic. It does not.

What Berry said said about making it family friendly really hit home for me. My grandma took my brother and I to see this when it first came out in theaters. I had absolutely no idea that there was a Crocodile Dundee 1 or 2, seeing how it was over a decade since the last move was released. I remember moderately enjoying it, but the most interesting part about this is that all the parts that were put in by Paul Hogan I remember being a little off put by how abrupt they were and how they just didn't fit in the movie. And all the parts that WEREN'T Paul Hogan's were funny and made sense. Everything he said about Paul makes perfect sense after seeing that movie.

Damn. I remember when this movie came out, even The Tonight Show was making fun of how culturally irrelevant Crocodile Dundee was. Those movies were a strictly 80s phenomenon. I don't think the gang was all Latino. They went with the 80s holdover of the multi-ethnic gang.

For some reason I thought this was around the mid 90s when it still would have been irrelevant. I totally forgot it actually came out in 2000!

Damn.

So they said that the Jere Burns crew goes to Romania to make bad movies right? Isn't that where Uwe Boll makes most of his films?