🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Snake

Top 5 movies for you personnally that they have not done yet

I've seen listed as a Hollywood conservative. His wikipedia states:

"Gallo is a supporter of the Republican Party, and has been seen at a New York fashion show with George W. Bush's daughters Barbara and Jenna.[18] He has stated that his fantasy is "becoming more like the stereotype of the Republican Party."[19] He also wishes to look "more like [American conservative journalist] George Will."[19] In his own words, Gallo "considered himself a radical, always, but an extremely conservative radical."[20]"

This is why I think he's trolling (and doing a wonderful job of trolling both sides).

An "extremely conservative radical" is an oxymoron. It just sounds like he wants to keep this image of himself as a rebel and outsider, when in his heart of hearts, he's a very much for supporting the status quo.

I think if he is not trolling, he's trying to be rebellious and in left-of-center field like acting how do you rebel? Go to the right. It doesn't matter so much if it's mainstream for the rest of America because within his particular sub-culture it is against the grain.

I think if he is not trolling, he's trying to be rebellious and in left-of-center field like acting how do you rebel? Go to the right. It doesn't matter so much if it's mainstream for the rest of America because within his particular sub-culture it is against the grain.

Yeah, one of those people who loves to define themselves as an outsider, even when they in a group of like-minded people, they still have to "stand out" in some sort of way.

By the way, I love your Q in the Q and A section.

I'm gonna cheat a little.

1. Lady in the Water or Signs - Noone does serious funny films better than M Night.

2. Toys - Five garbage cans and this thing is bonkers.

3. The Hot Chick - Could be any Rob Scheneider film. (White Chicks could also be one)

4. Sahara - Is insane and laughable.

5. Bad Taste - I really like this film, but it would make a good episode I think.

the most recent addition was Roger Ebert, whom Gallo cursed with cancer, which Ebert subsequently got. It became kind of a joke between them, though, and they made up and were friendly, later.

That reminds me of the time I was reading an article about directors who slammed other directors' work (coincidentally, it was linked to by Ebert), and Gallo was slamming Francis Ford Coppola as a hack or something. It made me wonder whether that was before or after they made "Tetro" together.

Also, there's something hilarious about how Gallo is a conservative who not only made a movie that ends with him getting a blowjob, but also has a page on his merchandise website offering to sell you his sperm for in vitro fertilization.

Also, there's something hilarious about how Gallo is a conservative who not only made a movie that ends with him getting a blowjob, but also has a page on his merchandise website offering to sell you his sperm for in vitro fertilization.

Yeah, I knew about that. He goes on to say: "Though a fan of Franco Harris, Derek Jeter, Lenny Kravitz and Lena Horne, Mr. Gallo does not want to be part of that type of integration."

I still like his art, aggressive trolling or not.

Oof, Chloe Sevigny, I can't believe she let that happen. Apart from Claire Denis' Trouble Every Day (also starring Gallo!), I think Brown Bunny is probably the movie I've seen the most people walk out of. My girlfriend at the time certainly didn't appreciate that one.

So Gallo is obviously proud of his dick. If you remember Buffalo '66 (which is a mostly great film), which Gallo wrote and directed, there's a part near the beginning when he's taking a piss in a public bathroom. There is a man standing at the urinal next to him, who sneaks a peak over at Vincent's crotch. The following exchange takes place:

"The fuck you lookin' at?"

"Nothing."

"Get your fuckin' face out of my pants."

"But it's just sooo big!"

"Get the fuck out of here, faggot."

[...]

"Now I can't piss because of that faggot."

Yeah, that was a scene he wrote and served no purpose other that for someone else other than Gallo himself to talk about his enormous penis.

I know we're getting off track here, but as Seanotron said in the ADR thread, I just like shooting the shit with other like minded people.

• Like 1

Yeah, I knew about that. He goes on to say: "Though a fan of Franco Harris, Derek Jeter, Lenny Kravitz and Lena Horne, Mr. Gallo does not want to be part of that type of integration."

In text it appears to be obvious trolling, bu when you see and hear him say stuff like that he sells it 100%. It's not like when Joaquin Phoenix said he was giving up acting to become a rapper, but everyone knew he was really making a mocumentary.

I know we're getting off track here, but as Seanotron said in the ADR thread, I just like shooting the shit with other like minded people.

I'm with you, this forum could be all hypothetical with no potential to influence the show and that wouldn't change my interaction one bit.

• Like 2

1. Con Air & Face/Off - Solely for a Nic Cage fix. I would love to see them do a double feature live show of these two like they did for Stallone's Demolition Man and Over the Top.

2. Dreamcatcher - From shit weasels to Donnie Wahlberg going full tard, this movie is insane.

3. Southland Tales - This could easily be the first HDTGM episode that is 2 hrs long.

4. No Hold Barred or Ready to Rumble - The fact that these movies try to make wrestling seem real but fail even to do that. Plus the whole history behind Rumble is enough to fill a 90 minute episode.

5. Daredevil - Blind Ben Affleck, enough said.

1. Con Air & Face/Off - Solely for a Nic Cage fix. I would love to see them do a double feature live show of these two like they did for Stallone's Demolition Man and Over the Top.

2. Dreamcatcher - From shit weasels to Donnie Wahlberg going full tard, this movie is insane.

3. Southland Tales - This could easily be the first HDTGM episode that is 2 hrs long.

4. No Hold Barred or Ready to Rumble - The fact that these movies try to make wrestling seem real but fail even to do that. Plus the whole history behind Rumble is enough to fill a 90 minute episode.

5. Daredevil - Blind Ben Affleck, enough said.

If they have to do a Con Air/Face Off double feature. That's the only way to do those two movies, because I would say those are the most entertaining Nic Cage action movies. I can't believe that at one time, both DMX and Nic Cage were considered action movie stars.

If they have to do a Con Air/Face Off double feature. That's the only way to do those two movies, because I would say those are the most entertaining Nic Cage action movies. I can't believe that at one time, both DMX and Nic Cage were considered action movie stars.

Nic Cage had that 2-3 year window where he was having a huge action movie come out in the summer. I had forgotten that those two movies had come out within a couple months of each other. Then he did Snake Eyes which sort of put an end to him as a legit action star, yeah he did Ghost Rider but he never was able to get that spark back.

DMX was only considered an action star at a time I think since he was being paired with established action stars like Jet Li, Steven Seagal, and Tom Arnold.

The more I think about it, the more I think a Southland Tales episode should be an Analyze Phish-style Earwolf Presents special, where the guests are other Earwolf hosts and/or regulars. Maybe call it Analyze Phish: Southland Tails? It's just so long, has so many people, and is so insane that you could easily do more than one podcast on it. I would actually like to know HOW it got made, because it has the sort of bonkers science fiction premise that an indie movie like Primer might have... it just also cost as much as a Fast and the Furious movie to make and has The Rock AND Bai Ling in it... Justine Timberlake AND Jon Lovitz. WHAT THE HELL?!?! So yeah, one podcast could be the details concerning how it actually happened, then another dissecting what happened on screen... which could be several episodes itself, really.

Re: Gallo, isn't it funny how we'd rather him be a lefty troll than a Republican, even though trolling with that much commitment indicates waaaaay more ego problems than simply... yunno... being a Republican? Ha.

Buffalo '66 is one of the best movies ever, though. There's something so much softer and more cohesive about it than you'd ever have expected Gallo to be able to produce if you know his persona going in. Even the source of all the misogyny winds up being explained by the end. Also, Kevin Corrigan.

• Like 1

Personally I don't care if he's a liberal or a conservative. I'm pretty apolitical (rabidly cynical may be a better way to describe my feelings towards politics), it's just that the way he says things remind me more of an internet troll than of a genuine Republican.

I guess you could say he's trolling (although I think that's really not true, it's more of an exaggerated persona that changes form depending on the situation) in the sense that actors & comedians used to before the Internet, which isn't really trolling but a kind of performance art -- flipping expectations of what an "act" should be. Kristen Schaal had a good talk about this on I think Kurt Braunohler's podcast (or maybe it was her on Marc Maron, I can't remember); her special for Comedy Central was essentially built around bits not working or failing, and then she ends it with that fairly long "Kristen Schaal is a horse" song with Kurt -- which is funny, then boring, and then so weird and long that it becomes funny again.

It's like people paying to see Andy Kaufman and having him read the phone book, or Abbie Hoffman saying he was going to levitate the Pentagon. Or Crispin Glover on Letterman. Or (this is going way back) related to 80s weirdo subcultures like the Church Of The Subgenius and Discordians. Dadaism. Now I remember the word people used to use, it's so early 90s, but it was "culture jamming". All of this was before irony was an expectation.

I think what Joaquin Phoenix did was kind of interesting but in this modern era, especially when you can't even produce a piece of work without everything being dissected and judged before it's available or released, that act is not possible anymore. Fifteen or twenty years ago, he could have done it and it would have been believable or at least provoked interesting reactions beyond "Okay, are you done yet? We're bored". Now it's just trolls trolling trolls. Werner Herzog makes a short film and the top Youtube comment is "lol f@ggot film this sux".

• Like 1

The thing the I find upsetting about Gallo's schtick is that it feels really mean spirited. Andy Kaufman reading the phone book or Crispin Glover on Letterman (or Harmony Korine on Letterman - BARFUNK!) comes across as weird and interesting and fun, yes harmless. Whereas Gallo, brilliant trolling or not, is still being a dick.

Vincent Gallo, Shmincent Shmallo

Since one of my top 5 is being done next episode this is now my list:

Miami Connection
Samurai Cop
Get Even
Hard Ticket To Hawaii
and in place of Gymkata,
Surf Ninjas

I loved Surf Ninjas as a kid, it just celebrated it's 20th anniversary. It's crazy, it's enjoyable, and since the kid in this movie is played by one of my friends it would personally be really exciting for me.

The thing the I find upsetting about Gallo's schtick is that it feels really mean spirited. Andy Kaufman reading the phone book or Crispin Glover on Letterman (or Harmony Korine on Letterman - BARFUNK!) comes across as weird and interesting and fun, yes harmless. Whereas Gallo, brilliant trolling or not, is still being a dick.

Dude, Tony Clifton was pretty unkind to his audience and as a wrestling heel, Kaufman said some pretty nasty things to some larger women.

Cat & beard, that is an excellent description of the performance art that has become what's known as "trolling." I can appreciate a good internet troll (not a "omg ur gay" internet commenter trying to push the easiest and most obvious buttons, but someone who crafts an absurd persona and is able to convince people that the persona is real) and I think that part of my ability to appreciate a bad movie stems from that.

What I love about Kaufman is that when people would figure out what he was doing he would throw a curve ball. The Tony Clifton thing is a perfect example, as soon as people started to figure out that it was him in disguise he would appear with Clifton. It caused people to question their assumption that Clifton was not a real person, but a character that Kaufman had put on. Pure genius.

Looking back at it, it's easy to see what was going on, but at the time I imagine it was easy to be fooled by Kaufman and I'm not so sure I would have figured it out so my hat is off to him.

I have yet to see I'm Still Here, but it is in my queue and I will see it soon, but I do know it was one of the worst kept showbiz secrets since Ricky Martin announcing he was gay. I think where Phoenix went wrong is letting too many people in on the bit. He had to tell people about it so that they wouldn't be offended (he even did so on screen on Letterman and not before like whent Kaufman and Lawler got into their spat on his show) and in the end word got around too quickly.

I loved Surf Ninjas as a kid, it just celebrated it's 20th anniversary. It's crazy, it's enjoyable, and since the kid in this movie is played by one of my friends it would personally be really exciting for me.

If he's one of your friends, maybe you could somehow get in contact with Paul and get him on the show. I find the best episodes/bits involves members of production regaling stories of what happened. I would never care about a Crocodile Dundee 3 episode but Berry's take on what happened in the process was easily the best part of it.

If he's one of your friends, maybe you could somehow get in contact with Paul and get him on the show. I find the best episodes/bits involves members of production regaling stories of what happened. I would never care about a Crocodile Dundee 3 episode but Berry's take on what happened in the process was easily the best part of it.

I think I'll actually try pitching that to the both of them.

I think I'll actually try pitching that to the both of them.

It doesn't pay anything, but money doesn't buy knives. Or something

Nic Cage had that 2-3 year window where he was having a huge action movie come out in the summer. I had forgotten that those two movies had come out within a couple months of each other. Then he did Snake Eyes which sort of put an end to him as a legit action star, yeah he did Ghost Rider but he never was able to get that spark back.

DMX was only considered an action star at a time I think since he was being paired with established action stars like Jet Li, Steven Seagal, and Tom Arnold.

"Con Air" and "Face/Off" came out the same month, like 3 weeks apart, so to those of us that were there, it was practically a double feature to begin with! :)

That's right, i couldn't remember how far apart the were but i knew it wasn't much.

1. Streets of Fire

2. Hop

3. Ewoks, the Battle for Endor

4. Wild Zero

5. House

• Like 1

1. Double Team (1997) - Van Damme, Dennis Rodman and Mickey Rourke. Need I say more? No, but: briefcase gun, basketball puns, and CIA retirement home.

2. Hudson Hawk (1991) - This movie is like an insane crossover of Oceans Eleven and a musical. Story by Bruce Willis. Featuring villains named after candy.

3. xXx (2002) - I know the Fast movies are their thing for Vin Diesel, but I can dream.

4. Exit Wounds (2001) - Really just something with DMX. I picked this because Segal might be a worse actor than Jet Li.

5. End of Days (1999) - Absolute insanity, complete with a new (at the time) GNR song.

Honorable mention to Simon Sez. I didn't want two Dennis Rodman vehicles on the list, but this one is Rodman and a young Dane Cook. Two deserving targets.

3. Ewoks, the Battle for Endor

With more Star Wars coming and the awfulness of the Prequels and even the Holiday Special extraordinarily played-out at this point, I think this would be a great choice for an episode. Good News Nerds: There is still further depths down the Star Wars craphole for stuff worth making fun of, and that's coming from someone whose nerdom comes directly from his love of Star Wars.

• Like 2