🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DieFledermaus

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

I sorta remember seeing this only because of punk band

music video, it was bad too.

Not over the top crazy movie. just mainstream crap low budget horror movie.

• Like 1

Jerry, a Dickies fan? I like the cut of your jib.

The neat story behind this movie is how it was (primarily) funded. The two brothers who made it were sfx guys back in the day. Remember the Large Marge scene from Pee Wee's Big Adventure, where she makes the crazy face? They're the two who did that bit. They took that paycheck and used it to make the movie they wanted to make -- Killer Klowns.

It's not great, but I with a title and premise like that, it's fairly obvious they were aiming for a B-movie/Troma kinda thing. Fairly amusing as a ten year old; seeing that in a video store was like "welp, I guess I HAVE to rent this one."

• Like 1

Oh, I have to disagree. This movie is absolutely over the top crazy. It's about killer clowns from outer space FFS!

But it's very deliberately campy and ridiculous. Good grief, they drive an ice cream truck and wrap their victims in cotton candy.

I love the shit out of this movie. I want to hug it and give it candy. I would be glad to listen to a HDTGM episode around it, but I just might defend its ridiculous merits rather than make derisive comments.

• Like 1

You guys just want to make poor Jason Mantzoukas cry, shame on you. - We all know he has a fear of clowns with icecream trucks.

I don't know if i can remember much about this movie. but it was a long dam time ago so I am not 99% sure. i just remember being let down because the movie sucked so much at the time and I was looking forward to seeing it.

Personally I think spawn would be a better one to do.

Speaking of Clowning around, if you guys are looking for a good clown movie check out

or better yet The Last Circus is a great movie. but those are good movies.

Ya I loved Pee Wee's Big Adventure, the large marge scene is a classic. I loved E.G. Daily in that movie as she was the 80s. she did valley girl one of my favorite 80's movies. nick cage is in that as a cool fake punk rocker.

• Like 1

Like it or hate it (I like it), I kinda think it doesn't quite belong, but I would still love to have an episode about this with the Chiodo brothers on. If you listen to their Killer Klowns commentary, they clearly love the movie but aren't afraid to mock it and point out silly plot holes (there's a character who takes a shower that is at least 20 minutes long)

Like it or hate it (I like it), I kinda think it doesn't quite belong, but I would still love to have an episode about this with the Chiodo brothers on. If you listen to their Killer Klowns commentary, they clearly love the movie but aren't afraid to mock it and point out silly plot holes (there's a character who takes a shower that is at least 20 minutes long)

Hey, thanks for the reminder. I need to watch this with commentary, which means even though it's on Netflix I have to rent the dvd.

Off-topic, but that's one thing that's always annoyed me about video streaming services -- they never have commentary tracks. I subscribed to Hulu because they have Criterion movies but without the commentary it's not really worth it. I know a lot of the time those tracks are garbage but sometimes they're practically another film inside themselves (see: drunk commentary on Cannibal! The Musical, or any John Carpenter movie with him and Kurt Russell).

Hey, thanks for the reminder. I need to watch this with commentary, which means even though it's on Netflix I have to rent the dvd.

Off-topic, but that's one thing that's always annoyed me about video streaming services -- they never have commentary tracks. I subscribed to Hulu because they have Criterion movies but without the commentary it's not really worth it. I know a lot of the time those tracks are garbage but sometimes they're practically another film inside themselves (see: drunk commentary on Cannibal! The Musical, or any John Carpenter movie with him and Kurt Russell).

For the price we pay though, it's completely understandable and still worth it, and at the end of the day, the studios licensing their stuff out would still like you to give your money DIRECTLY to them, so they've left you a reason to want to buy the thing if you're into that stuff, and I actually have purchased a lot of things that I first saw on Netflix, so it must be working. Even many of the more recent (like within the last couple of years) physical discs that Netflix sends out nowadays don't have the extras on them, like you'll click on special features or whatever, and it basically says "How about you just buy the damn thing if you're gonna be such a geek about it?". Well, not in those exact words, but if you're renting the movie, that's all they're going to give you.

Even many of the more recent (like within the last couple of years) physical discs that Netflix sends out nowadays don't have the extras on them, like you'll click on special features or whatever, and it basically says "How about you just buy the damn thing if you're gonna be such a geek about it?". Well, not in those exact words, but if you're renting the movie, that's all they're going to give you.

I recall a while back they did this with "Slumdog Millionaire." It became a news item when several of the rental discs made it into for-sale boxes. Apparently nobody took that as a bad omen for the plan.

How the hell is this not an episode already? I mean it's PERFECT1 and this movie is literally bonkers. Cotton candy instead of blood,clowns killing people with pies,knocking people's heads off . It would make for an awesome HDGTM ep

This movie is on Netflix Instant right now if anybody is wondering.

Sadly it's going off Netflix with a bunch of other movies on January 1st. So get in your Killer Klown watching while you still can!

Don't need to see it on Netflix as I own this on DVD.

Hilarious movie that is indeed way over the top crazy. I think it would fit with the kind of crazy stuff they watch. It is all kinds of awesome.

I prefer to buy most of my DVDs. It is there when I want it and I don't have to worry about the subscription service taking it away. I still do use Netflix for movies they mention on here, some TV Shows and such. Heck one of my fav TV shows, The Good Guys (2010), doesn't have a DVD release, yet it is on Netflix. Been watching the episodes now and then.

I love this insane movie, there is literally two dudes willing to bang alien clowns because they can freely grow their tits to any size.

It is an absolutely travesty that the planned 3D sequel just seemed to die in production phase. They could have spent $500 on it and people would still find a way to watch.

I have a soft spot for movies that own their silly shit, and don't pussyfoot their way around it. This gem went all the way in.

I think we all know that if this movie never gets covered it's because of a certain person's innate fear of clowns and that they drive around in cars.

I saw in an article today that the sequel may still happen in 2018. Just wanted to bump this as Halloween draws closer. This would be an incredible October episode. I love this movie but it's completely absurd.

For anyone interested, this is streaming free if you have an Amazon Prime membership. At this point, are there people who don't have a membership?!?!

This movie is...indescribable. It's good, but in a surprising, incoherent, batshit-crazy way. I started watching it pretty late last night, and instead of turning it off and going to bed, I had to finish it. At this point, I honestly can't tell if there's too much to talk about or enough to talk about for the crew.

Regardless of interest, I think this film is worth watching. At the very least, watch it for Dean Wormer.

• Like 1