🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
seanotron

Worst ADR

The gang frequently brings up the subject of bad ADR, so I thought it would be fun if we all posted our favorite examples of bad dubs.

This terrible, terrible dub in Summer Rental is how I learned about ADR in the first place:

• Like 2

Not to criticize a certain co-host of the show (not that it's his fault anyway), but I remember "The Dictator" as LITERALLY having an insane amount of ADR. For instance, every time someone was facing away from camera and the other character wasn't saying anything, it seemed like they dropped in another one-liner that was clearly recorded at another time, all for the sake of there not being a nanosecond in the film where someone wasn't talking. Most of them weren't even funny, but you just KNOW there was someone that had written in a Justin Bieber reference that was fighting like hell to get it in SOMEHOW, and that was it.

Not to criticize a certain co-host of the show (not that it's his fault anyway), but I remember "The Dictator" as LITERALLY having an insane amount of ADR. For instance, every time someone was facing away from camera and the other character wasn't saying anything, it seemed like they dropped in another one-liner that was clearly recorded at another time, all for the sake of there not being a nanosecond in the film where someone wasn't talking. Most of them weren't even funny, but you just KNOW there was someone that had written in a Justin Bieber reference that was fighting like hell to get it in SOMEHOW, and that was it.

I think this happens a lot in comedies. I seem to remember Paul Feig touched on it in an episode of CBB, where he was talking about how comedy scripts go through so many drafts and what ends up being shot is usually a lot different than the page because things that sound good on paper will end up not working during filming. Plus, he said good comedians do so much improv stuff on set that ends up being better than the written jokes.

I take it foreign language films are out of the question here.

I remember SCTV they did a fake movie called Rome Italian style it was a tribute to all foreign language films. not that it was a real movie.

I like the good old spaghetti westerns Django the original had some A1 dub job but i think it's intentional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ge2hmSTbo

Oh! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but the ADR for Bane in "Dark Knight Rises" was pretty puzzling. I know the original voice and been changed, but the way they mixed it where his voice comes from EVERYWHERE was pretty distracting for a while. It's not quite as bad on TV depending on your set-up, but in theaters it was kind of ridiculous.

I take it foreign language films are out of the question here.

I was thinking more of mainstream movies just because foreign film dubs are sort of bound to be terrible, but I say post what you like.

I think this happens a lot in comedies. I seem to remember Paul Feig touched on it in an episode of CBB, where he was talking about how comedy scripts go through so many drafts and what ends up being shot is usually a lot different than the page because things that sound good on paper will end up not working during filming. Plus, he said good comedians do so much improv stuff on set that ends up being better than the written jokes.

This is where I heard about that kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kw4IE8Sr1Q

This is where I heard about that kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kw4IE8Sr1Q

That doesn't surprise me that crappy animated movies are made that way.

I gather Feig was talking more about watching dailies and realizing jokes don't work, so they'd go back in and ADR something.

I like the good old spaghetti westerns Django the original

So much respect to you for even knowing about Django. I hope some kids have been turned onto that genre because of Tarantino but I feel like it hasn't actually happened. That film is a goddamn masterpiece. THAT COFFIN.

Of course there is the infamous 'Flower shop scene' from The Room

This is my favorite moment from anything, ever, and I can recite it from heart.

Hi Johnny!

-Can I have a dozen roses please?

I didn't know it was you.

-That's me! How much?

Eighteen dollars.

-Here you are, keep the change.

-Hi, doggie.

You're my favorite customer.

-Thanks a lot!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH </peteholmes>

Django is great. Off topic, but for the longest time I thought Franco Nero from Django and Terrence Hill from My Name is Nobody were the same guy. That's another fun western for anybody into that.

Speaking of ADR and dubbing though, does anybody else sometimes like to watch a movie on mute and improvise all the dialog? It's kind of a fun silly thing to do with friends and such.

Speaking of ADR and dubbing though, does anybody else sometimes like to watch a movie on mute and improvise all the dialog? It's kind of a fun silly thing to do with friends and such.

I have curiously never done this! (Curiously becuz I'm a manic pixie dream girl guy).

What are some good suggestions? I feel like I would need more nerds in the house; in my circle, I'm probably the one who has the most interest in comedy and blah blah.

Top Gun would probably be good. Or Road House.

Me! It's a lot of fun. I think because I grew up on reruns of Mad Movies.

How many here have actually MST3K'd a live movie? I saw Daylight in theaters (that would be a good future Stallone episode of HDTGM, by the way) and it was so bad I found myself mocking it out loud. Fortunately, everyone in the theater also found it awful, so we all kind of joined in (probably only 30 people in there on opening night, that should have been an indicator of quality). I also did this during Wicker Man.

Back on topic, I don't have any video for it, but I noticed that the Netflix season of Arrested Development had some incredibly bad ADR. At first I thought it was going to be a punchline for something because of how ridiculous it was, but the punchline never came.

• Like 1

And here's a good one from HDTGM favorite Demolition Man. Apparently, international versions of the movie had to substitute 'Pizza Hut' for all the references to 'Taco Bell'.

Of course there is the infamous 'Flower shop scene' from The Room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S9Ew3TIeVQ

I love that scene, but i can't believe I bought that movie. I most likely will never watch it again. text book example of bad film making.

Dog and bird, Django is a great movie, i love the build up to when you see whats in the coffin. I love old spaghetti westerns since I watched the man with no name movies. Bad ADR was the only thing that was missing with William Ferrell's "Casa de mi Padre" other wise it could of been a better movie then it was. they should of used other actors for all of the voice dialogue. it would of been much more funnier movie to watch.

I have curiously never done this! (Curiously becuz I'm a manic pixie dream girl guy).

What are some good suggestions? I feel like I would need more nerds in the house; in my circle, I'm probably the one who has the most interest in comedy and blah blah.

Top Gun would probably be good. Or Road House.

It's become the type of thing I'll do with almost anything when I'm bored and there's nothing actually good to watch. Sometimes I'll just turn to the SyFy channel and riff on whatever cheesy garbage they have on at the time. But my favorite has to be Spanish soap operas. I'm so weird I'll do it when I'm alone.

• Like 1

Bob Drillboids

The intentionally bad dubbing in Mr. Show's "Pallies" sketch is always worth revisiting.

I love MR MR show. man that clip makes me cry. almost like watching a movie on AMC or FX

Bob Drillboids

I love MR MR show. man that clip makes me cry. almost like watching a movie on AMC or FX

I know the tears start to well up for me whenever "Fantastic Four" comes on, but I'm usually all dried up three days later after the seventh time it's been on that week...

• Like 1

Whats the worst channel for watching a movie on?

for me it was TBS when they would play movies in a edited for time laps. so you want to air the god father but you don't have three hours to do it so you cut out all of the swearing and none action based scenes and you end up with a perfect two hour movie. they love to go for a two hour time frame with ads. so you end up with a lot of beeps.

I remember showcase channel here in canada played movies unedited and they had a tv ad they would run that was almost like Pallies. but it was The Usual Suspects movie edited to shit. all of the swearing was like, you Fuzzy Sock sucker!. it was too funny. The ad was directed at saying sick of seeing movies edited for television. watch showcase movies unedited and uncut. I tried looking for it on youtube but it's long gone.

it was sorta like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfSC0fzO-4

I think "Heat" became an Alan Smithee film in it's edited form, because Michael Mann didn't approve of the edited-for-TV cut that eliminated entire subplots to fit in the three-hour block.

it was The Usual Suspects movie edited to shit. all fo the swearing was like, you Fuzzy shock sucker!. it was too funny.

The censoring/editing of movies on network television used to be one of the most hilarious things ever. Two instances that stick out in my mind: Young Guns, Emilio Estevez is taking a bath and says something like "I'm changing my mind, kiss my ass eye" and the difference in voice from "ass" to "eye" was insane; like Morgan Freeman or someone just dropped in for one word.

The other one that I remember is Stand By Me; there's that scene with a pie eating contest and a fat kid nicknamed Lard Ass. During the competition, people start chanting "Lard Ass! Lard Ass! Lard Ass!" and that whole crazy barfing thing starts happening. But for tv, they just chopped out every instance of "ass", so there was like two or three solid minutes of a crowd shouting "LARD LARD LARD LARD LARD", in a really weird hypnotic/robotic fashion. I think someday I'll do it and put it on youtube so I can just relive the memory.

Sign in to follow this