🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Lauren Tyree

Generation Gaps

In the inaugural episode of The Cracked Podcast, co-hosts Jack O’Brien & Michael Swaim discuss generation gaps. They ask Earwolf hosts about semen pumping, talk to Daniel O’Brien about incorrect pop culture memories, and have a conversation on the Flynn effect.

• Like 2

C-c-crossover-r-r. Show.

It took Marvel years to establish their shared universe on film and they did it on their first try on podcast.

• Like 1

DOWNLOADING NOW! I FUCKING LOVE SWAIM AND O'BRIEN! ALSO MY CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN! STILL, THESE EXCLAMATION POINTS ARE NO ACCIDENT!

Edit: Err... hasn't shown up on iTunes. Looks like I'll need to wait.

DOWNLOADING NOW! I FUCKING LOVE SWAIM AND O'BRIEN! ALSO MY CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN! STILL, THESE EXCLAMATION POINTS ARE NO ACCIDENT!

Edit: Err... hasn't shown up on iTunes. Looks like I'll need to wait.

You can manually subscribe on iTunes (File > Subscribe to Podcast) with this RSS feed: http://rss.earwolf.com/the-cracked-podcast

Finally ... after decades of waiting, I get to hear what Alfred E Neumann's voice sounds like? If he uses his "What, me worry?" catchphrase, I swear to god I'll LOSE MY MIND!!!

Oh wait ... this is the other magazine that is not actually a magazine anymore. Well, I'll be interested to see what this is all about and whether it is worthy of the $0.00 investment that it requires.

• Like 1

Nice annoying orange ref swaim you still got it

Edit: can we get a track list?

Double edit, listened to the end. never mind.

You guys are off to a flying start. Between NKOTB surviving on semen and the JFK/donut line I am enjoying the shit out of this podcast so far.

I enjoyed this. Will be listening more.

Did I miss this? Will this be a weekly show?

I'm going to have to disagree with them about the movie trailers. Not to say your point about that trailer and other trailers like it isn't valid, if anything now trailers are just spoon feeding the audience. I have to stop watching so many trailers like 30 seconds to a minute in because I can tell they're just going to summarize the entire movie.

That aside I really enjoyed the podcast and look forward to more episodes.

• Like 2

I like this show a lot! Starting things off by posing generational questions to fellow show-hosts was a great way to integrate this 'Cast into the Earverse (Earworld?)

The topic of manufactured & mis-told stories becoming "fact" in the public mind is an eternally fascinating one for me. Loved everything about this premier episode ... except for when you guys dissed the Archies. Don't front on the Archies, y'all.

Some PRE-INTERNET pop-music rumors from my middle school/ Junior High years:

1.) The thoroughly debunked "story behind the story" of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight". I can totally remember kids my age talking about this suburban legend with wide eyes and hushed tones: http://www.snopes.co...gs/intheair.asp

2.) "Hey man, did you hear that (Journey singer) Steve Perry DIED??!!??" -- that was pretty much the whole story. I don't think any details were divulged as to how or why he died. I'm not sure how widespread this story was, but I remember hearing it around my junior high school a lot.

Anyway, Steve Perry didn't die. In retrospect, I think the main purpose of this story was so mean middle-school boys could get Perry-crushing middle-school girls to cry.

• Like 1

Two thoughts

1. Didn't realize Cracked was still around

2. Interesting premise, I'll give it another shot but it was kinda awkward and the music bumps were annoying. I'm sure they'll get better

I enjoyed this! It's like Cracked meets NPR.

• Like 1

Two thoughts

1. Didn't realize Cracked was still around

Their website is awesome and posts articles daily. They post stuff I didn't know I would be interested in until I read the titles.

Whoa, this is awesome! I've gotten a couple things published on Cracked (http://www.cracked.c...mbers/kneisage/), and even though most of my contact with them is through them rejecting my dumb ideas, the editors and moderators of the site are all insanely funny and helpful and just all-around cool people. Really excited to see where these guys take this, and I'm also excited to hear some more Cracked behind-the-scenes type stuff.

Also, Earwolf, the programming on this site is insane. So much good stuff. Keep up the great work thanks bye.

• Like 1

Hey, this was great!

The pop music urban myths I recall from junior high, pre-internet times both involve Marilyn Manson. The first is that he had his bottom ribs removed so he could suck his own cock, and the second was that he was Paul from The Wonder Years.

Also, while there is an obvious lack of narration in today's film trailers, the comparison really shouldn't be made between the first Die Hard and the most recent one. People already know what Die Hard is by the time the fifth one came out. Two years prior to the first Die Hard, there was a sixth Friday the 13th, and the trailer for that is a graveyard, the signature "Chchchch Hahahaha" sound effect, lightning striking Jason's headstone, and a casket opening to reveal that it's empty. That's it. 'Cause we already know who Jason is. No explanation needed.

Sorry I come off like a nitpicky douche, as I agree with the overall point being made, and I don't honestly recall the "In a world" guy nearly as much as I recall people making fun of him. And the theme of the whole podcast was fascinating, and I'm looking forward to the next...however many of these you guys plan to do.

I dig Cracked and Earwolf, and you've just gotten peanut butter on my chocolate. Thanks!