🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 34 — Total Math Wiz

Sean and Hayes pull the veil on the behind the scenes process of the Reality show Show. They explain why Syfy’s Face Off could have been a good show, discuss Elissa’s math genius on Big Brother, and share their distaste of betrayers on The Challenge. Then Alvin Gregory creator-writer JARRAD PAUL drops by to talk about his upcoming projects and briefly being featured on the Men Tell All segment of The Bachelorette.

I'm so glad the brands Hayes and Sean clarified that Hayes and Sean aren't actually real people. I, for one, completely bought in to the construct that Hayes and Sean were actually my friends.... I feel so foolish now.

The one upside is that I think that lets me off the hook for not having donated to the show. I mean, if they have the resources for such a sophisticated operation, they certainly don't need my money (what little of it there is). I don't know why, I almost felt bad for consuming a podcast that these two guys, Sean and Hayes put their time and effort in to. But now that I know Hayes and Sean are just constructs created to foster a false intimacy between me and the larger Earwolf family of brands, I guess my donation couldn't be that important... Now I can focus my donations on Jesse Thorn and the Maximum Fun network.

I feel so much better now. Thanks for clarifying that!

• Like 4

I agree, I honestly don't think I'm gonna post anymore. I mean I thought Hayes and Sean were my best friends, I'm kinda upset that they're just a brand. I was gonna ask Sean to be my best man at my wedding but now, I'm just gonna look like Pau Gasol in I Love You Man.

Hello. Reallity Shows Show is super best podcast number 1!

This shows is always top quality America podcast. Hello hi.

Now this is quality brand management!

• Like 2

This shows is always top quality America podcast. Hello hi.

Hello. Reallity Shows Show is super best podcast number 1!

You know, for a former British colony, you'd think that Malaysians would speak better English... It's almost like an American podcast host is trying to pretend that their account is actually being managed by Malaysians but didn't realize that Malaysians speak English quite competently... But that's crazy, right guys? Right?

Hey Andy Kneis, a real Hollywood big shot knows our names and told us we're great! What a thrill! Thanks "Hayes" and "Sean", you "guys" are the best entertainment brands out there!

• Like 2

Too bad we didn't hear more about Whodunnit and it's batshit bonkers bananacakes nonsense season finale!

I guess Sean and Hayes didn't realize that in this day and age you cannot simply give a mouse a cookie without imparting the expectation that you will hang out with that mouse and gratify its consumption of the cookie by liking its comments on your message board. This ain't your grandpa's podcast network; time to get with it guys.

I'm hereby exposing Heroes of Cosplay as a shill operation for the Nerdist Network and will not be watching it out off solidarity for Earwolf and because it is boring.

• Like 2

I guess Sean and Hayes didn't realize that in this day and age you cannot simply give a mouse a cookie without imparting the expectation that you will hang out with that mouse and gratify its consumption of the cookie by liking its comments on your message board. This ain't your grandpa's podcast network; time to get with it guys.

I'm hereby exposing Heroes of Cosplay as a shill operation for the Nerdist Network and will not be watching it out off solidarity for Earwolf and because it is boring.

Is Chris Hardwicks much younger gold digging girlfriend who used to date the guy who did that ultimate showdown song gonna be on it? She's like a total nerd you guys and definitely not just pretending to be one cause its cool.

Is Chris Hardwicks much younger gold digging girlfriend who used to date the guy who did that ultimate showdown song gonna be on it? She's like a total nerd you guys and definitely not just pretending to be one cause its cool.

Yep. I don't know about the gold digging part, but I've had to interact with one of her friends who is also a legitimate nerd who just happens to be an attractive girl and gets paid to cosplay. Oh boy you should have seen their reaction to that Nerd Girl Portlandia sketch.

You proved yourself to be a jackass with your "LOL SUICIDE" thread, and you've upped the ante by playing the "fake geek girl" card, despite your target's easily google-able history with nerddom that began years before she met Hardwick. Please, continue.

• Like 1

...in case anyone needed someone to point it out: this got awkward.

Can we please calm down, I'm sure TheNarnold was joking about Chloe Dykstra, who as far as I can tell from not having met her, is a perfectly nice, genuine person who happens to be dating Chris Hardwick of Nerdist and Shipmates fame. For what it's worth, I tend to take people at their word, so if she says she does "nerd stuff," then I'm willing to believe that she probably does. I have no personal knowledge about her "nerd credentials," nor is her possession or lack thereof of any consequence to me and I fail to see their relevance in any case.

@TheNarnold: Audience, buddy. Audience. My bet is that at least a few people on this forum personally know Ms. Dykstra, and at least a few more are fans of hers, so maybe tread lightly in the future.

In summary: girls, you're both pretty.

• Like 1

You proved yourself to be a jackass with your "LOL SUICIDE" thread, and you've upped the ante by playing the "fake geek girl" card, despite your target's easily google-able history with nerddom that began years before she met Hardwick. Please, continue.

Do you really think that pulling the fake girl nerd card is upping the jackass ante over making fun of a girl who killed herself? I don't think of myself as a nerd and I'm not a girl, so I can't speak to the effect it might have on somebody, but to me it just seems like a thoughtless dismissal of somebody's value in a subculture based on how they look. Basically just calling them posers, which I agree is shitty thing to say to somebody, but not nearly as hurtful as mocking a dead woman.

Is it because nerdy guys are known for being more vitriolic with their opinions and these girls are receiving some seriously hurtful hate? I'm genuinely interested to know if you consider this more offensive because in the threads that followed that Portlandia sketch phrases like "nerd girl shaming" were being thrown around, as if this were a legitimate social issue worthy of concern. To me it seems like the same reaction every other group of people who are uncomfortable with their community gaining popularity gives to the newcomers - lazily writing them off so they can continue to feel unique or special or whatever.

Or were you just saying, “You annoyed me with this thread, and now you’ve annoyed me with this other thing” and the degrees of offense were irrelevant? I’m not trying to be confrontational; I’m just trying to get my head around it. The reactions I’ve been seeing from people about the nerd girl thing are confusing me to point of wondering I’d missed something major, like a girl bullied into suicide or attacked for not being truly nerdy or something.

• Like 1

Hey Andy Kneis, a real Hollywood big shot knows our names and told us we're great! What a thrill! Thanks "Hayes" and "Sean", you "guys" are the best entertainment brands out there!

Yeah my brand has been really blowing up ever since I got the mention on this show! Thanks "Hayes" and "Sean" you really are American Podcasters #1 Top Dogs.

• Like 4

Well hello mister white knight, didnt you see the part where I mentioned she also dated Lemon Demon. Next your gonna tell me Jessica Chobot is a real nerd too. My problem with this phenomenon is the fact it abuses a culture I hold dear just for attention.

I guarantee she doesn't know the first thing about being a nerd, not that they're cant be attractive nerd girls mind you, they just don't take slutty pics of themselves or constantly say "lollolol I'm such a nerd guys"

But it's better than whatever you are. As for the Gia topic, you're right people never joke about sensitive issues, golly I'm so terrible.

...or not. I give up.

This is like my parents getting divorced all over again. I thought maybe this time, if I just tried hard enough, I could make each person see that the other's anger could only exist because they cared so much about each other.

Now I have come to accept the real truth; that all human relationships are doomed from the start and we are all born and die truly alone. Everyone we love will leave us one way or another and we might as well get used to the paralyzing feeling of endless loneliness.

Thanks guys.

• Like 3

It's ok Chanson I still love you, it's just me and this admin guy will never agree.

I'll drop it though and keep my discussion only to the love of the Reality Show Show.

• Like 1

Or were just saying, “You annoyed me with this thread, and now you’ve annoyed me with this other thing” and the degrees of offense were irrelevant?

This, although I would be remiss if I didn't point out that fake geek girl shaming is absolutely a "legitimate social issue worthy of concern".

Per past episodes of the Nerdist podcast, Hardwick met Chloe Dykstra at a local Dr. Who convention, where both of them were cosplaying the same character. While it is difficult to imagine something nerdier than that last sentence, TheNarnold feels comfortable tarring a woman as a "gold digger" (absent any evidence, in public, attached to his real name) because geek culture is a fucked-up echo chamber where this sort of bullshit is standard operating procedure, and even attempting to discuss the subject results in threats of rape, murder, and endless harassment.

Irony: Half of all gamers are women.

Double Irony: Chloe Dykstra's Xbox Gamerscore is negligibly lower than TheNarnold's, yet she's a fake nerd and he's totally legit.

Well glad you looked up my gamerscore but that is my second Xbox live account, my first one which I had billing issues after I got a new debit card was 80,000 not to mention all the hours I've logged on non Xbox 360 consoles.

Nor did I harass her or threaten, I don't care if girls play games, I know plenty that do but you obviously have ulterior motives when you broadcast it constantly.

One last thing there buddy, you should chill cause you seem to be really over sensitive over shit that does not concern you

One last thing there buddy, you should chill cause you seem to be really over sensitive over shit that does not concern you

See, it does concern me, given that I'm responsible for moderating a community where anyone who is enthusiastic about the content feels welcome to participate, and not only those people who meet your arbitrary and fact-free criteria.

Is she here? Can you get a hold of her cause I'd love to talk to her and trounce her in everything Video Game related. By the way, where did I say she couldn't participate in the forums. Maybe she could get her other white knights to listen to the show, which can only help. You probably watched G4 didn't you? Let me compare this in those terms, she's G4 I'm TechTv. Get it son? You just really get your jimmies rustled easily huh.

Ps. If you want to see what a real gamer who is female looks like look for Dodger on YouTube, seeing how she is about the games and not the looks.

Holy Fucking Shit. This is still going on?

If there is a god, please strike me down right now. I no longer wish to live in this world.

• Like 1