🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 220 — N-Word Pass

Patrick Walsh & Andrew figure out if it’s racist for white people to call out people of color on their racist statements and discuss the un-ending quest for an n-word pass. Make sure to leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

I don't believe that the black man in that situation said it was ok for his Indian friend to use the "n" word! That's fucking crazy!

On behalf of all black folks, I have rescinded his authority to give out n-word passes. To anyone who was issued an n-word pass from this person, your pass is now null and void. You will have to wait approx. two weeks before going to your local Office of Black Affairs where you will be matched up with a different black person to make a case on why we should be cool with you insulting us, our families, and our ancestors.

• Like 5

I agree. Just because one person says you get the hood pass, that doesn't mean it's cool with every other black person. Cut that shit out!

Why would anybody want an n-word pass?

The only alternative is the N-Word Club Card, where you get your ass kicked nine times before the tenth one is free.

• Like 4

I will never understand why people want to say the n-word so badly.

Number one is just that you're not allowed to say it. I mean, in today's society very few words have the power to really shock and offend people like they used to. The n word is arguably the only one that is REALLY forbidden to say in even the most permissive circumstances. That automatically makes certain people, especially immature males, want to say it.

Another reason (and I think I get this one) is that people want to be edgy and subversive. They imagine themselves as somehow becoming enlightened, and finding a way to use the word that doesn't offend people, but instead makes them think you are clever. Amazed at your ability to take all the power out of the word and instead make everyone really think about racism and see it from an angle they never had before! Accomplished through devices like deconstructing the word, using it ironically, etc.

I say I get it because I also share the instinct of wanting to take things people find offensive and reexamine them. I like to try and be subversive and witty, and make people think about why things are offensive. But I know that the n word is one of the things you just don't do play around with. Because I often make myself look like an idiot and/or an asshole when I try to be subversive and mess it up. But with the n word, you're not just playing with fire, you're playing with a pile of plastic explosives. Any white person who is too dumb to understand this deserves to be considered a horrible racist.

Sorry, Michael Richards.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this