🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Brett Arnold

Episode 143 — Normies

Fan favorite Kumail Nanjiani makes his triumphant return to WhochVille after a whopping 142 episodes and the lovely Natasha Leggero fills in for Iced Boba on this week's extra mega super special WHO CHARTED! Howard nobly hosts the show with a scratchy throat, which doesn't get in the way of his interview magic as Kumail and Natasha reveal Hollywood secrets like Reggie Watts' affection for a certain substance & also figure out exactly which TNT series Kumail actually stars in. Things gets personal as everyone details the mechanics of their respective families before diving into the music & movies charts, where Kumail confirms the accuracy of Howard's sentiment in the movies chart theme song.

I hate to disparage Kulap in any way, but I have been loving these recent guest hosted episodes. Also Howard's new voice might be the funniest thing I ever heard on the show.

• Like 3

Leggeiro was so much better than April Richardson. She brought way more energy, although she didn't seem to have any of the usual facts/prep that Kulap has, and she surprisingly knew very little about pop culture in general for a LA person. I enjoyed this episode a lot more than others because of the tangents that were missing from the show for what seemed to several months in a row when the show seemed "hurried."

Kumail is an ideal guest for this show in general...

Anytime Ku-Ku is gone, bring back Tee-Tee!

• Like 1

"Poor people eating lamb on a stick"

I'm enjoying the guest co-hosts - it's a fun way to mix it up while Wie or Ku have other commitments - but does it seem like so far none of the guest hosts have had much understanding of the show's format?

Who would have thought that someone inhaling two E-Cigs at a time and spraying whisky mist would come down with a throat problem?

• Like 10

I have to agree with Howard, I see no need to have a conversation with a guy that doesn't have pants on.

• Like 1

I hear that Paul wrote Helter Skelter to emulate the Who's sound, almost as a joke.

I thought this as well. I've often heard The Who referenced as the beginning of punk, but I think a lot of stuff was going on at the time beyond just the Beatles. But obviously the Beatles were hugely influential in many ways. But it's easy to compare the cheapest pop of the day to the Beatles in their prime and deem it garbage. The Beatles also started as a horrible pop band before they found their voice and started to do their own thing.

No one particular band or song started punk or metal. Lots of bands coming up around the same time were influenced by a similar set of records, had access to similar advances in equipment and technology, and all set out to outdo each other in various ways.

• Like 1

Just started the episode. Here's what I'm picturing:

TeA06aM.jpg

• Like 4

I think it's great that the guest hosts filling in for our beloved Ku-Ku all have long histories with Wie-Wie. Both April & Natty-legs bring out different sides of Howard. It's awesome!

• Like 3

Also, Helter Skelter was recorded in 1968. Blue Cheer's first album was recorded the year before.

Great episode, though.

• Like 1

No one particular band or sound started punk or metal. Lots of bands coming up around the same time were influenced by a similar set of records, had access to similar advances in equipment and technology, and all set out to outdo each other in various ways.

Agree 100%

You Really Got Me was '64 with its distortion and power chords. Super influential.

I would love to hear a video game chart every few months, they should bring that back.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it was Natasha who gave Howard the Wee-Wee nickname back in ep number 2.

• Like 1