🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Darian

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995)

I was in kindergarten when the first season premiered (god that makes me feel old) and I remember how much teachers at school hated the show because all of us would play fight during recess, of course all the boys were the red ranger. The thing that always made me chuckle, even as a kid, was that no one could put two and two together and see the five friends who wore the same corresponding colors of clothes were never around when the Rangers were fighting. That and the fact that EVERY episode left millions of dollars in damage and thousands dead after the giant zord/monster fights. It's such a number that it puts Avengers and Man of Steel to shame.

This movie wasn't so bad for a first shot at a film adaptation, if anything it's the second movie that needs to be discussed. First. the Blue Ranger losing his job because he landed wrong on his back practicing for a martial arts tournament. This is a guy who has been sliced up, shot, and blown up by fucking aliens but now he can't be a power ranger because he has a herniated disc. Then the most laughable thing is that his replacement is a kid half his size, which is explained in a quick cut where he grows two feet as the costume is put on.

Oh man, just an extra? I thought maybe we were dealing with a Chris Benoit situation where they went back and totally wrote him out of history or something. This story just got a lot less sexy...

Yeah I saw that announced on IMDB, but the picture they had was of the guy as one of the dozens of kids in the background in one episode. The same thing happened this year when a woman sent letters with Ricin in them to various organizations and individuals. Every news story credited her as a former actress on The Walking Dead and Vamprie Diaries when in fact she was an extra in both, she didn't even get a credit for her miniscule parts on IMDB.

Ever since Shelley Malil from the 40 Year Old Virgin murdered his girlfriend, these stories look for any connection to a show or movie to attach to the headline to make it more attractive. And at least he had a decent speaking part in the movie.

I had kind of hoped that it was Bulk or Skull that killed someone.

• Like 2

Yeah I saw that announced on IMDB, but the picture they had was of the guy as one of the dozens of kids in the background in one episode. The same thing happened this year when a woman sent letters with Ricin in them to various organizations and individuals. Every news story credited her as a former actress on The Walking Dead and Vamprie Diaries when in fact she was an extra in both, she didn't even get a credit for her miniscule parts on IMDB.

Ever since Shelley Malil from the 40 Year Old Virgin murdered his girlfriend, these stories look for any connection to a show or movie to attach to the headline to make it more attractive. And at least he had a decent speaking part in the movie.

That reminds me, did you see the stuff from about a year ago about the "actor" that tried to extort money from Harvey Weinstein and a bunch of other rich folks? His name is Vivek Shah, and it's well worth looking up, because it's fucking HILARIOUS. When he was busted, it was "'Dark Knight' actor arrested in extortion plot", and apparently he was "Middle Eastern Bank Customer" in what I'm guessing was the opening scene. But yeah, funny stuff surrounding him, and his surely self-written IMDB bio is pretty amazing.

I myself have worked on a ton of stuff as an extra, stand-in, double, and driver, so if I ever end up doing anything terrible, or something terrible happens to ME, I'm curious as to how they'll make people click on the link to read the rest of the story? If there's a Batman movie coming out, it'll likely be "Dark Knight Rises" actor (I was one of about a billion Gotham City cops), or maybe "Avengers" actor if there's a Marvel movie out, due to me being in "Captain America: Winter Soldier" (I was one of about a billion SHIELD agents). To you guys though, I hope you'll always remember that I was best "known" for my work in "Abduction", where I was an emergency room patient, CIA agent, baseball fan, Jason Isaacs's body double, and the unseen arm that put the bomb in the oven. Good times. For more on my adventures on the set of "Abduction", check out that episode's page in the forum! :)

• Like 1

I had kind of hoped that it was Bulk or Skull that killed someone.

Bulk and Skull were on the Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show last year. They tell a ton of stories about working on the Power Rangers -- which they are apparently still acting in! They come off as very affable guys.

Someone should do a Go Bayside style podcast with Power Rangers. The dialogue is super corny and the dramatic setups in the first part of the show are always really dumb. But I guess it would get redundant with the fights, although you could just say "and then they fought" and skip to the closing minutes where whatever situation that happened earlier is neatly wrapped up.

Bulk and Skull were on the Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show last year. They tell a ton of stories about working on the Power Rangers -- which they are apparently still acting in! They come off as very affable guys.

Someone should do a Go Bayside style podcast with Power Rangers. The dialogue is super corny and the dramatic setups in the first part of the show are always really dumb. But I guess it would get redundant with the fights, although you could just say "and then they fought" and skip to the closing minutes where whatever situation that happened earlier is neatly wrapped up.

Where do I sign up for this? I mean listening to it or making it, whatever. It needs to happen

It's weird reading the wiki's for the actors and seeing that Skull has a PhD. and is a college professor in literature now. And I would love a Go Bayside-esque podcast on that show, at least for the first few series.

I almost created a new thread for this because I typed in the full title and nothing came up. Thank goodness I did another search and found this. My coworker listens to the podcast but doesn't comment on the forums and came up to me and said, "How do I go about submitting the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie?!"

Needless to say it's been two years since this has been talked about and it still needs to happen.

My childhood demands it.

That reminds me, did you see the stuff from about a year ago about the "actor" that tried to extort money from Harvey Weinstein and a bunch of other rich folks? His name is Vivek Shah, and it's well worth looking up, because it's fucking HILARIOUS. When he was busted, it was "'Dark Knight' actor arrested in extortion plot", and apparently he was "Middle Eastern Bank Customer" in what I'm guessing was the opening scene. But yeah, funny stuff surrounding him, and his surely self-written IMDB bio is pretty amazing.

I myself have worked on a ton of stuff as an extra, stand-in, double, and driver, so if I ever end up doing anything terrible, or something terrible happens to ME, I'm curious as to how they'll make people click on the link to read the rest of the story? If there's a Batman movie coming out, it'll likely be "Dark Knight Rises" actor (I was one of about a billion Gotham City cops), or maybe "Avengers" actor if there's a Marvel movie out, due to me being in "Captain America: Winter Soldier" (I was one of about a billion SHIELD agents). To you guys though, I hope you'll always remember that I was best "known" for my work in "Abduction", where I was an emergency room patient, CIA agent, baseball fan, Jason Isaacs's body double, and the unseen arm that put the bomb in the oven. Good times. For more on my adventures on the set of "Abduction", check out that episode's page in the forum! :)

That same thing happened a couple years back when the Walking Dead was starting out on TV. There was an extra who had sent Ricin to various political and TV figures if I remember right and she was credited as being an actress on the Walking Dead. Even Greg Nicotero went on to say that with the hundreds of extras that they have she wasn't even featured on screen for more than a second at most.

• Like 1

That same thing happened a couple years back when the Walking Dead was starting out on TV. There was an extra who had sent Ricin to various political and TV figures if I remember right and she was credited as being an actress on the Walking Dead. Even Greg Nicotero went on to say that with the hundreds of extras that they have she wasn't even featured on screen for more than a second at most.

You already mentioned that one. The one I remember is how some guy killed his mother, and all the headlines were "'Ugly Betty' Actors Kills Mother," and as you can guess, he was an extra. Yet among all this, the media didn't pay attention to how the guy who played Random Task in "Austin Powers" has been convicted of multiple crimes (probably because his offenses are really depressing and he's a soulless monster).

You already mentioned that one. The one I remember is how some guy killed his mother, and all the headlines were "'Ugly Betty' Actors Kills Mother," and as you can guess, he was an extra. Yet among all this, the media didn't pay attention to how the guy who played Random Task in "Austin Powers" has been convicted of multiple crimes (probably because his offenses are really depressing and he's a soulless monster).

Damn, forgot I did. I do remember the Random Task one was for rape, because that was also former UFC fighter Joe Son who came to the cage carrying a giant cross and wearing eye liner during some fights.

Wait... Y'all... They have to do this movie now because it centers around ooze!

• Like 2

The best thing about this movie is some of the background drama surrounding it. The actors weren't union or something (because it's just a dumb, cheaply made kids show, right?) but then the show became super popular. So three of the actors tried to negotiate better deals once the idea of having a big budget movie was possible. Three of the actors (including the "leader" of the team) held out for better deals.

... and the company just flat out fired them and got three new rangers for the second season and the movie. That's why the ethnicity post that started this thread is not tecnically applicable to this movie.

Also the Blue Ranger was named after Bryan Cranston, of Breaking Bad fame, because he did voice work on the show. This is important to know so you can picture Walter White as the giant villains.

Also Mariska Hargitay was in it but replaced.

jhjhjhhjg.jpg

Don't ask me how I know all these things; I'm not prepared to tell you.

• Like 2

Also the Blue Ranger was named after Bryan Cranston, of Breaking Bad fame, because he did voice work on the show. This is important to know so you can picture Walter White as the giant villains.

The blue meth was CLEARLY an homage to Cranston's Power Rangers past, right? It's the only reasonable explanation...

• Like 2

as someone who was obsessed with MMPR growing up, how dare you.

as someone who now understands how bad TMNT 2 was watching it as an adult, i welcome this

• Like 1

Bumping this thread because I'm watching it on Amazon Prime. Holy. Shit. From the opening skydiving/roller blading montage to the fact that the city is completely different from the TV show to the fact that there is still enough interest in this show that a reboot is happening, now is the perfect time to do this show. Also the entire plot is basically laid out by Zordon in the first ten minutes is utterly insane on the level of Commissioner Gordon telling Batman that there is a new villain in Gotham in Batman & Robin.

• Like 1

The rollerblading scene is a reason this HAS to be done on the podcast. Because Paul is always saying that is a sign of a bad movie. Also, if I recall correctly (I've not seen it in many years), they get a beep from Zordon on rollerblades and then they teleport to the Command Center... where they now don't have rollerblades. No one on the crew gave a *shit*.

The other thing I laughed at was the new items/suits/equipment that was never shown in the show and never seen again. The first fight scene that the rangers have in their Iron Man-esque costumes include the yellow ranger having headlights built into her helmet, the red ranger having a weird Predator scanner on his helmet, the blue ranger having some weird grappling string box and the pink ranker had a whip that was basically a pink tape measurer. These items were useless and were just the studio's way to burn through the 15 million dollar budget that they had.

• Like 1

I keep commenting on here because I need this to happen.

Power Rangers was the first thing that I remember really truly being obsessed with as a child (my dad said it's actually Beauty and the Beast but I was 2 when it came out so I have only a few memories of this but I digress) but I tried to rewatch the series and the movie and wow my child mind accepted so much insanity and I would really really enjoy this being covered by the gang.

Elizabeth Banks has said she is now playing Rita Repulsa in the reboot!

Okay now I want them to cover the reboot because holy shit the trailer made me angry, as it's basically a mix of Breakfast Club, the new Fantastic Four, and Chronicle, which is funny as Max Landis wrote the original script for the new movie, was fired, and then a few new writers came in and made it basically a Chronicle knockoff. The idea that these near modelesque kids are being told that they are ugly by equally modelesque kids is batshit enough, but then they have to go and alter the entire premise of the original series.

The kids in the first 6 seasons of the show were basically chosen because they were able to adapt and be molded into a viable fighting force and were already skilled in athletics/karate, they had no superpowers and were never given any. Yet in this trailer the kids have super strength, the ability to leap huge distances, apparently breathe underwater, and apparently are impervious to low levels of pain as a bully headbutts one of the kids and the bully gets knocked out after it sounds like he hit his head on metal. This is all after they are not selected by Zordon, but rather find a crashed meteor/spaceship in the hills and blow up a part of it, releasing their eventual Power Ranger emblems.

If they wanted to get gritty with the reboot and have it grow like the audience has maybe they should have gone with this version instead.

Sign in to follow this