🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
justinmh05

The World's End

No, just kidding! Easily the second best comedy of the summer (behind The Way Way Back) for me.

But more people need to pay to see it so Edgar, Simon and Nick can make more movies together! So go see it!!

This movie is straight up the alley of Earwolf fans - and for my money it's every bit as good as Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and similar Wright-connected stuff like Attack the Block!

So go see it!!!!!!

• Like 2

No, just kidding!

You rascal!

I saw it this weekend and liked it a lot too, although I'd rank it slightly below Shaun (which I just watched last weekend).

(Side note, I was mildly disappointed with The Way, Way Back. I liked it, but even within that very small niche, I enjoyed The Kings of Summer more.)

I did a double feature of this and You're Next and I was a bit surprised at myself for not getting into this one as much as I thought I would. Granted I felt the same way about Shaun of the Dead the first time I saw it, but now I love it. The one thing I expected more of was more references/parodies of sci-fi movies like Shaun and Hot Fuzz had done for zombie and action movies, respectively. I'm sure I'll love this after another viewing or two.

And if you haven't already, check out You're Next, a fantastic horror/home invasion movie that does wonders with creating lifelike family drama and suspense.

• Like 1

Saw it, loved it. I suspect the ending may prove controversial for some but it worked for me.

Maybe it's just me, but for me, the only thing that was controversial about the ending was that a certain thing only tangentially made an appearance.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me, but for me, the only thing that was controversial about the ending was that a certain thing only tangentially made an appearance.

But it did make for a great gag.

i think i was slightly disappointed by this movie but only because shaun and hot fuzz are legit two of my all time favorites and amazing. so amazing that i feel bad to even feel slightly disappointed by this movie

i think i was slightly disappointed by this movie but only because shaun and hot fuzz are legit two of my all time favorites and amazing. so amazing that i feel bad to even feel slightly disappointed by this movie

Seven Hail Peggs & six Our Father Frosts before bedtime and you'll be forgiven.

Since the Wright/Pegg/Frost films have been greatly admired but have played to somewhat of a niche audience, I wonder if they'll downplay or at least NOT put Wright's name all over the marketing for "Ant Man" when that actually happens? Above all, it will still be "Marvel's Ant-Man", and the people that know of Wright will know of his involvement, so it ultimately probably won't make much of a difference. I guess Whedon was sort of in a similar boat, and "Avengers" seemed to do OK.

It's sort of already happened though with Ant-Man as the rumors have run rampant that Pegg will be cast as him due to Wright's involvement. I just want Pegg to wait though so he can be involved in The Boys movie if it ever gets made since the character of Wee Hughie was created in his image.

Since the Wright/Pegg/Frost films have been greatly admired but have played to somewhat of a niche audience, I wonder if they'll downplay or at least NOT put Wright's name all over the marketing for "Ant Man" when that actually happens? Above all, it will still be "Marvel's Ant-Man", and the people that know of Wright will know of his involvement, so it ultimately probably won't make much of a difference. I guess Whedon was sort of in a similar boat, and "Avengers" seemed to do OK.

Yeah, I imagine it would be similar to Scott Pilgrim. IIRC, they didn't really emphasize Wright in the marketing. Though Scott Pilgrim was itself a niche thing, too. But I think they played up Michael Cera as the draw there.

But the Marvel movies have never really focused on the directors.

Yeah, I imagine it would be similar to Scott Pilgrim. IIRC, they didn't really emphasize Wright in the marketing. Though Scott Pilgrim was itself a niche thing, too. But I think they played up Michael Cera as the draw there.

They've been able to use some pretty great filmmakers though that might not necessarily be big draws themselves, which kind of takes some of the pressure off I would think. If it's a hit, it raises the director's stock I'm sure, but if it isn't, I don't think anyone's going to hold it against them.

I think that may change now since Avengers did gangbusters and Whedon has become the talk of the town. Before Whedon was a director/writer who was more of a fanboy director with all of the things he did, but now that he has this huge hit and with Cabin in the Woods doing pretty well and getting good reviews from critics, people are looking at him a lot more now. I mean whenever some pop culture controversy comes up now or something important he's one of the first to be asked his opinion on it.

I have a feeling the same will happen if Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy do well, especially Guardians as it seems it is going to be a late summer blockbuster for Marvel. If these two succeed, expect the Whedon effect to happen to Edgar Wright and James Gunn.

I know I am in the minority but I really disliked Scott Pilgrim. I felt like it was two hours of winking and nudging and going "Get it? Video games!!!!!". I'm not some stuffy old man either, I should have been a prime target for this movie, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

I know I am in the minority but I really disliked Scott Pilgrim. I felt like it was two hours of winking and nudging and going "Get it? Video games!!!!!". I'm not some stuffy old man either, I should have been a prime target for this movie, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Different strokes. I'm in the prime demographic and I loved it. It was winking and nudging, but in a playful way. I like to think that it's the best video game movie ever made. Plus it resulted in a really terrific game after the fact. And the Blu-ray looks amazing on a nice TV.

• Like 1

My problem wasn't that there was winking and nudging so much as that it was wink and nudge overload, but that said I really enjoyed the Cornetto trilogy and I feel like I could be real life friends with Edgar (which I know will only happen in my head of course)

Different strokes. I'm in the prime demographic and I loved it. It was winking and nudging, but in a playful way. I like to think that it's the best video game movie ever made. Plus it resulted in a really terrific game after the fact. And the Blu-ray looks amazing on a nice TV.

Yup, I'm one of those folks that immediately snatched it up on Bluray. It is beautiful.

• Like 1

I'm not even a video game type and I freakin' loved this movie. I think the relationship themes (the idea that we're all Unreliable Narrators when it comes to our own history) spoke to me more than anything else.

scott pilgrim tipped its winking and nudging hand when it cast michael cera who is king winker. i dont know what this meanms

I loved this, and I'm saying that as someone who didn't care as much for "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead." Loved "Scott Pilgrim," though.

IIRC, they didn't really emphasize Wright in the marketing. Though Scott Pilgrim was itself a niche thing, too. But I think they played up Michael Cera as the draw there.

Which made the poster where his face is barely visible all the more mystifying.

I think Scott Pilgrim came at a time when the studios were convinced that a big Twitter following and a very positive Comic-Con response were directly analogous to enormous box office returns, which obviously turned out not to be the case. I love the hell out of the movie, but I think it was just another example of how movie studios didn't know how to handle the gem that they actually had.

In any case, I love the Cornetto Trilogy in its entirety. So good.

I think Scott Pilgrim came at a time when the studios were convinced that a big Twitter following and a very positive Comic-Con response were directly analogous to enormous box office returns, which obviously turned out not to be the case. I love the hell out of the movie, but I think it was just another example of how movie studios didn't know how to handle the gem that they actually had.

In any case, I love the Cornetto Trilogy in its entirety. So good.

I liked it a lot too, but I saw crazy hyperbole in some of the reviews. The Rolling Stone blurb on the front of my awesome, awesome steelbook packaging called it "a game changer". Granted, a lot of those kind of reviews are written before general audiences get to see it, but it seems kind of silly when a movies comes out, makes no money, and permanently takes up residence in the cheap bin. That's fine though, because at least it DIDN'T inspire a host of imitators and still really stands out.

Also, the people that are going to buy into the ComiCon hype have no willpower. They'll go see "Jonah Hex" on opening weekend, and they'll be the ONLY ones. It's everyone ELSE you have to win over, not the fanboy set.

I very much enjoyed this movie. as it reminded me of what good movies are. i've watched so much crap over the last week I forgot how much I enjoy a good movie.

I like how they called it a trilogy but the only thing that is the same is the actors and the ice cream sandwich. sorta making fun of trilogy altogether.

I was coming here to yell and was immediately deflated. How dare you, sir.

• Like 1

I was coming here to yell and was immediately deflated. How dare you, sir.

Confused_cat_gif_zps1201954f.gif

What was this all about..

Sign in to follow this