🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
justinmh05

The World's End

Confused_cat_gif_zps1201954f.gif

What was this all about..

He was probably going to yell at the thought that someone would seriously suggest The World's End as a bad movie.

Saw this last night and loved. For me it wasn't AS funny as the previous 2 films, but still a lot of fun and I was surprised at how great the action sequences were. Also, Scott Pilgrim is one of my favorite movies of all time, I can't wait to see what Wright does with Ant-Man. I think he's the perfect person to take a character like that who general audiences don't know and probably think is silly conceptually, and make it something really fun. I would not be surprised if he makes the best solo Marvel movie to date.

I'll be interested in seeing how Ant-Man and Guardians does. They seem like the riskier choices for Marvel.

I kinda already love both those movies on principle alone. With Edgar Wright in particular, you never have to worry about anything being truly cringeworthy. Worst case scenario, the biggest failure I could possibly imagine for Edgar Wright is that he might make a slightly boring movie at some point, since he uses pretty traditional structure. But, like, even the folks who weren't into Scott Pilgrim acknowledge that it's just about the content, and I doubt anyone would call his skills as a filmmaker into question.

Come to think of it, it seems that Edgar Wright and James Gunn are two sides of the same coin: Edgar Wright is always refining traditional styles to a fine point, and James Gunn is always questioning tradition and defying expectations, but the essences of both are compatible.

• Like 1

Saw this last night and loved. For me it wasn't AS funny as the previous 2 films, but still a lot of fun and I was surprised at how great the action sequences were. Also, Scott Pilgrim is one of my favorite movies of all time, I can't wait to see what Wright does with Ant-Man. I think he's the perfect person to take a character like that who general audiences don't know and probably think is silly conceptually, and make it something really fun. I would not be surprised if he makes the best solo Marvel movie to date.

I thought the same thing about World's End, but I have a feeling that I will love it more the more times I watch it like I had with Shaun of the Dead. As far as Ant-Man is concerned, I feel it's like Iron Man; a character that's slightly known by general audiences but wasn't huge even with many hardcore comic fans. Hell, both Thor and Iron man were really B- comic characters at their peak and outside of a few key storylines, were more known for being a part of the Avengers. Now of course since the comics have been huge you have every hipster saying they've always been fans of the characters and knocking the same movies that initially introduced them to the character.

Come to think of it, it seems that Edgar Wright and James Gunn are two sides of the same coin: Edgar Wright is always refining traditional styles to a fine point, and James Gunn is always questioning tradition and defying expectations, but the essences of both are compatible.

I'm really excited to see what Gunn does with Guardians since he has a very unique style when it comes to his movies. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cameo of Nathan Fillion or a cameo for himself. I'm also expecting this to be a darker film than the other Marvel films as he likes to play with preconceived notions of genres and favors more stark themes with comedy thrown in.

Ryan Sz - You know when you've seen a good movie is when you hear a song on the radio from that movie and it makes you think of that film, even if that songs been used in other movies. case in point my sister and I a long along time ago watched Reservoir Dogs, when she was at the dentist, sitting in the chair she heard the song Stuck in the middle with you and started laughing her brains out. she ended up marrying that dentist btw.. Same goes with Shaun of the Dead, I dare you to listen queen and not think of that movie. You can't make a movie like Shaun of the Dead and top that film. it's all down hill but I don't see these movies as part of a trilogy even if it's being marketed that way.

btw I've never watched a Iron Man movie. i think there is a age limit to get on that ride, but I am not sure.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing about World's End, but I have a feeling that I will love it more the more times I watch it like I had with Shaun of the Dead. As far as Ant-Man is concerned, I feel it's like Iron Man; a character that's slightly known by general audiences but wasn't huge even with many hardcore comic fans. Hell, both Thor and Iron man were really B- comic characters at their peak and outside of a few key storylines, were more known for being a part of the Avengers. Now of course since the comics have been huge you have every hipster saying they've always been fans of the characters and knocking the same movies that initially introduced them to the character.

I'm really excited to see what Gunn does with Guardians since he has a very unique style when it comes to his movies. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cameo of Nathan Fillion or a cameo for himself. I'm also expecting this to be a darker film than the other Marvel films as he likes to play with preconceived notions of genres and favors more stark themes with comedy thrown in.

Nah, that's absurd, Iron Man and Thor have never been "b-comic characters", Darkhawk and Tigra are b-comic characters, Iron Man and Thor have always been prominent Marvel characters, Avengers mainstays, integral in events, their own merchandise, and popular enough to have their own titles for decades. To outsiders, yeah, probably not household names, but very well known to people who read Marvel.

Anyway, I saw the World's End again, and I still love it, I still don't think it has as many laughs at the other two, but I don't mind that at all, it is it's own movie with it's own tone and great for what it is.

I'll be interested in seeing how Ant-Man and Guardians does. They seem like the riskier choices for Marvel.

Well I think at this point any character they do now is going to be kinda risky because pretty much all of the superheroes that are household names to general audiences have already been exhausted. But I feel like after all the success they've had it might not matter if the characters themselves are a draw or not, because people are now going to go see a Marvel movie the same way they go to see a Pixar movie, all they have to do is make sure they make a movie that doesn't disappoint. It also helps that these movies all occupy the same universe so you're going to have those people who have enjoyed the films up to this point and don't want to miss a piece of the puzzle.

Well I think at this point any character they do now is going to be kinda risky because pretty much all of the superheroes that are household names to general audiences have already been exhausted. But I feel like after all the success they've had it might not matter if the characters themselves are a draw or not, because people are now going to go see a Marvel movie the same way they go to see a Pixar movie, all they have to do is make sure they make a movie that doesn't disappoint. It also helps that these movies all occupy the same universe so you're going to have those people who have enjoyed the films up to this point and don't want to miss a piece of the puzzle.

On the Ant-Man front, since Ultron is in Avengers 2, I have a feeling that we're at least gonna be introduced to the name of Hank Pym as a way of beefing up interest, probably in a post-credits sequence. Guardians, on the other hand, might just look cool enough to stand on its own.

On the Ant-Man front, since Ultron is in Avengers 2, I have a feeling that we're at least gonna be introduced to the name of Hank Pym as a way of beefing up interest, probably in a post-credits sequence. Guardians, on the other hand, might just look cool enough to stand on its own.

Apparently, there was a reference to Hank Pym in Thor that got cut from the final movie. Go figure!

It's sort of already happened though with Ant-Man as the rumors have run rampant that Pegg will be cast as him due to Wright's involvement. I just want Pegg to wait though so he can be involved in The Boys movie if it ever gets made since the character of Wee Hughie was created in his image.

I have no IDEA how I missed this the first time around, but yeah, the artist on "The Boys" patterned Hughie directly on Pegg, and Pegg even did the introduction on at least one of the collections. Garth Ennis, the writer and creator, is probably my favorite writer of all time and has done a lot of original stuff that would be well-suited for films or TV series. Speaking of Wright, I think "The Boys" is actually right in his wheelhouse, as it's heavily satirical and perfectly breaks down the genre while being an incredible superhero story on it's own, which is funny, because Ennis alleges to hate superheroes. For more on that, check out his first four years or so on "Punisher", before it got all "realistic" and stuff, which was also an excellent run. "The Boys" does go into some CRAZY (Under Siege 2...) dark territory, and may be a bit too disturbing for someone with Wright's sensibilities, but I could still see Pegg falling right into place, no matter who ends up making it.

The Ultron thing should be interesting because they are apparently ditching the Pym origins of the character all together. The going idea was it was going to be a corrupted JARVIS, but now that Spader has been cast I don't think anyone knows what's going on.

The Ultron thing should be interesting because they are apparently ditching the Pym origins of the character all together. The going idea was it was going to be a corrupted JARVIS, but now that Spader has been cast I don't think anyone knows what's going on.

I think that's the story they're giving now, but think about it: Ant-Man's been in development this whole time, and it'll be one of the next films in the franchise after Avengers 2. They're already in the groove of tying their films together, so there would be no reason to completely eliminate Pym from the Ultron story... especially since it's a prime opportunity to cross-promote a not-so-well-known character whom they're about to dedicate a whole film to.

So what I'm essentially saying is, sure, maybe Pym doesn't directly create Ultron... but I have a pretty strong feeling that Ultron's origins will be played somewhat mysterious through the course of the film, and by the end, it'll turn out that Pym had some crucial hand in it (possibly revealed in the post-credits sequence). Even if he's not cast yet, the character could still be mentioned by name. Hell, they revealed Thanos without explaining to the general audience who the hell he was, and now everybody knows. The same could very well be true of Pym.

I think that's the story they're giving now, but think about it: Ant-Man's been in development this whole time, and it'll be one of the next films in the franchise after Avengers 2. They're already in the groove of tying their films together, so there would be no reason to completely eliminate Pym from the Ultron story... especially since it's a prime opportunity to cross-promote a not-so-well-known character whom they're about to dedicate a whole film to.

So what I'm essentially saying is, sure, maybe Pym doesn't directly create Ultron... but I have a pretty strong feeling that Ultron's origins will be played somewhat mysterious through the course of the film, and by the end, it'll turn out that Pym had some crucial hand in it (possibly revealed in the post-credits sequence). Even if he's not cast yet, the character could still be mentioned by name. Hell, they revealed Thanos without explaining to the general audience who the hell he was, and now everybody knows. The same could very well be true of Pym.

I think Whedon directly said Pym would not be involved in Ultron's creation. I'll have to look up the quote. But I still think they'll make Ultron connected to Tony, because that would give it more personal stakes than assigning it to a random character we've never seen or heard before.

I think Whedon directly said Pym would not be involved in Ultron's creation. I'll have to look up the quote. But I still think they'll make Ultron connected to Tony, because that would give it more personal stakes than assigning it to a random character we've never seen or heard before.

I'm just sayin... Christopher Nolan also said outright that Marion Cotillard wasn't Talia al Ghul.

Also just sayin, there's more possibilities for an origin story than just, "This one guy made a thing and it came alive." This is a dumb version of what I'm saying, but: Tony Stark could be rebuilding his lab, somehow making a new Jarvis, and has to go to a third party for, say, some crucial component of the AI system. Something goes wrong, you go through the movie with nobody knowing why this robot guy happened, and then, boop... you find out who made the piece that made it happen, and it's Pym. It still means Pym didn't build Ultron, but it's the kind of middle-ground decision that they've made before.

I'm just sayin... Christopher Nolan also said outright that Marion Cotillard wasn't Talia al Ghul.

Also just sayin, there's more possibilities for an origin story than just, "This one guy made a thing and it came alive." This is a dumb version of what I'm saying, but: Tony Stark could be rebuilding his lab, somehow making a new Jarvis, and has to go to a third party for, say, some crucial component of the AI system. Something goes wrong, you go through the movie with nobody knowing why this robot guy happened, and then, boop... you find out who made the piece that made it happen, and it's Pym. It still means Pym didn't build Ultron, but it's the kind of middle-ground decision that they've made before.

True, but Whedon isn't really that guy, ya know? If we were talking Nolan or JJ Abrams, I'd say yeah, who knows. But Whedon doesn't tend to do that kind of thing.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that Tony's self-controlled suits from IM3 will somehow come into play and then we'll have a good reason why he doesn't just pull that same trick in the future. I think they'll just do the origin that works for this version of the characters, which is what they've done before.

Nolan's big third act revelation hinged on that, so of course he was going to deny, deny, deny, when he really just shouldn't have talked about it at all, because we had that in our minds the whole time, and the reveal was pretty anti-climatic because of it. If Whedon is doing the same thing, it at least feels like a plot point that isn't nearly as important if Pym DOES end up being involved, so it's a bit more forgivable. As someone said before though, it would kind of be disappointing if it all DID tie into a character that just showed up five minutes ago, and so far the Avengers-related movies have done a better job of building on one another than just pulling something out of their ass like that.

All good points. I dunno, I mean, I'm just a bigtime nerd about canon; it's why I still hang onto the Star Wars franchise (for me, the prequels are just the Star Wars equivalent of an appendix, like a vague, badly-acted History Channel reenactment). So for me, this is more actual hope than an attempt at cleverness.

Sign in to follow this