đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
seanotron

Overboard (1987)

The plot here is that Kurt Russell goes to work for Goldie Hawn's horrible debutante character and she basically humiliates him, refuses to pay him for his work, and then pushes him over the side of her yacht. Later that day, she falls off the side of the yacht and for some reason this gives her amnesia. Kurt then sees her on TV, goes to the hospital she's being treated at, and convinces them he is her husband and kidnaps her. He then uses her as slave labor to take care of his awful children and the filthy shack they all live in. Now, the movie avoids the Unfortunate Implications from becoming, 'Holy crap, did Kurt Russell just rape that amnesiac woman?' by having him avoid sex with her, but this entire scenario is still full of crazy. It also features Lorelei's Dad a.k.a. Head Vampire Max, Johnathan Pryce's stretchy-faced mother, and Roddy McDowall as Cornelius as Peter Vincent.

I think this would be fun because it's not a bad movie per se, and is entirely watchable, it's just a nutty setup that I'm not sure would fly today. It also features Goldie Hawn in The World's Most Unflattering Bikinis (but hey it was the 80s, what can you do).

• Like 1

How have I not heard of this movie? Kurt Russell's run from the mid 80's through the 90's is mind-boggling. To IMDB I go.

Yea if they thought Stallone showing his wedding picture as I.D. in Over the Top was insane, wait till they see how Kurt Russell convinces the hospital to let him take Goldie home.

• Like 3

I can’t believe you haven’t done Overboard!  Both are about a deranged kidnapper forcing a person into slavery.

This was one of my favorites growing up, but watching as an adult, it’s bonkers. How creepy is it that he was allowed to take a women with amnesia home to keep her against her will and raise his children? It’d be even creepier if he wasn’t as good looking. Remember all the muscles in the cut-up shirt he had on? I really wish they would do this one! I bet June loves it too when she was a kid. We seem to have a lot of movies we love in common.