WhiskeyAndCigarettes

Cheap alternatives to tabletop mic stands?

Anyone who produces a podcast have a recommendation for equipment to use instead of buying mic stands? Space is an issue and there has to be something better than having everyone hold their mics. You'd think comedians would be better at keeping them at a consistent distance from their face...

Anyone who produces a podcast have a recommendation for equipment to use instead of buying mic stands? Space is an issue and there has to be something better than having everyone hold their mics. You'd think comedians would be better at keeping them at a consistent distance from their face...

The old standby when I recorded music was using milk crates, but that would be awkward on a desk. But there's decent desk stands for around $12, you're saying you can't swing that?

You don't have room for mini-booms? We use those for extra mics, but for our main ones we have the Heil arms. Those are awesome and don't even need to be drilled into the table, you can clamp them to the edge of you want.

• Like 1

My Heil PL2T is the best investment I've made so far - with table stands you're sure to get noise from them moving them around.

Hey Brett, Side question:

what kind of mics are you guys using now in the new studio? what interface for it? If this has been covered already someone link me please, but i'm also curious if its changed for the new studio.

Hey Brett, Side question:

what kind of mics are you guys using now in the new studio? what interface for it? If this has been covered already someone link me please, but i'm also curious if its changed for the new studio.

We're still using SM7s for the primary mics. Most of our equipment has carried over, but we're transitioning to PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 consoles. We're still trying to learn them before putting them into action. We used a Soundcraft in the first studio, and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 in the second (where we do more multitracking). We then put everything through a secret sauce of post-processing.

• Like 1

We're still using SM7s for the primary mics. Most of our equipment has carried over, but we're transitioning to PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 consoles. We're still trying to learn them before putting them into action. We used a Soundcraft in the first studio, and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 in the second (where we do more multitracking). We then put everything through a secret sauce of post-processing.

Hey Brett,

Was your signal flow Mics -> Soundcraft Mixer -> A/D

or were your mics going straight into the A/D ?

Was curious because I always saw the Soundcraft on the table and figured you used that for plugging in iPods as well. I wanted to know what role it played in the flow.

Thanks for all the insight!

Hey Brett,

Was your signal flow Mics -> Soundcraft Mixer -> A/D

or were your mics going straight into the A/D ?

Was curious because I always saw the Soundcraft on the table and figured you used that for plugging in iPods as well. I wanted to know what role it played in the flow.

Thanks for all the insight!

The first one.

For that particular setup we have everything, mics, sound/music playback, etc goes into the soundcraft, into A/D and recorded. It's very inflexible but super efficient for live-to-tape.

• Like 1

We're still using SM7s for the primary mics. Most of our equipment has carried over, but we're transitioning to PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 consoles. We're still trying to learn them before putting them into action.

I would be very interested in hearing if you have gotten the hang of the presonus mixers yet and, if so, a little on how you use them. Do you do any processing (compressor/eq/limiter etc) in the mixer or is all that still being done in your"secret sauce of post-processing?

I'm asking as I have the exact same mixer and use similar, albeit a bit cheaper, microphones as you do. I would like to beef up the sound as much as possible just using the mixer and it's functions but I cannot seem to be able to get the audio amplified as much as I would like to without post processing. Any information would be very much appreciated as I really like the "earwolf sound".

I would be very interested in hearing if you have gotten the hang of the presonus mixers yet and, if so, a little on how you use them. Do you do any processing (compressor/eq/limiter etc) in the mixer or is all that still being done in your"secret sauce of post-processing?

I'm asking as I have the exact same mixer and use similar, albeit a bit cheaper, microphones as you do. I would like to beef up the sound as much as possible just using the mixer and it's functions but I cannot seem to be able to get the audio amplified as much as I would like to without post processing. Any information would be very much appreciated as I really like the "earwolf sound".

we aren't satisfied with the PreSonus and don't use any of the onboard FX really, besides a little gating and a little verb for the musician's headphones. we are planning on upgrading as soon as we have the budget. it's a cool little unit but it doesn't have a couple features that we mistakenly thought it did, like post-fader output to the DAW and certain group functions. We are planning on returning or selling them.