🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 40 — Going Back To The Choppa

The time has come for our heroes to get back to their ship. But as they make it to the lift, they quickly find out that it may not be so easy to get to their destination. Just then, everyone assumes their bad ass battle positions because shit’s about to get real!

Great job on the Numberwang!

The guest appearances were all great, but for the Todd Glass bit I had to pause, laugh, and go back to listen a second time.

• Like 1

Why has no one thought to call Sir Richards hand blast the Baha Blast yet? Considering their love of the delicious Taco Bell beverage of similar pronunciation.

• Like 6

GODDAMN IT! MOTHER FUCKER SHIT BALLS COCK-SUCKER ASSHOLE 1 !!!! It's really annoying.

• Like 5

Fantastic episode on its own, but then you add in James Adomian popping in? You spoil me, Nerd Poker.

• Like 3

So, maybe this is me just lacking extensive D&D knowledge, but...why has no one used stargoyle against the collectors yet? At first I was thinking he could just pull the robe back and see what's going on, but as I started typing this, I thought maybe he could just absorb them or something? Especially when there was a virtual army of them...Sark pointed out a while ago that anything they try to put in stargoyle never returns. Would this be plausible? Or is this just newbie talk?

• Like 1

So, maybe this is me just lacking extensive D&D knowledge, but...why has no one used stargoyle against the collectors yet? At first I was thinking he could just pull the robe back and see what's going on, but as I started typing this, I thought maybe he could just absorb them or something? Especially when there was a virtual army of them...Sark pointed out a while ago that anything they try to put in stargoyle never returns. Would this be plausible? Or is this just newbie talk?

Honestly, I try to avoid doing anything to an NPC pet that might possibly get them killed.

And it's in the interest of the game master to be careful when they try to use this powerful creature to attack, because they might then try to do it all the time. In this case it could turn into, "Let's sit back and let Stargoyle kill all the enemies".

• Like 1

I can see your point (and Love your name!), but i don't think this group would be the kind to shy away from battle, lol.

From the first appearance of the collectors, I've been wondering how they could find out what (if anything) was under the robes, without risking too much damage. But yeah, stargoyle is about the most useful NPC a group could ask for, you're right.

Honestly, I try to avoid doing anything to an NPC pet that might possibly get them killed.

And it's in the interest of the game master to be careful when they try to use this powerful creature to attack, because they might then try to do it all the time. In this case it could turn into, "Let's sit back and let Stargoyle kill all the enemies".

It wouldn't surprise me if Sark has killed a good number of NPC pets over the years considering how gleefully he wipes out player characters.

• Like 3

I want Stargoyle to die. You know he's only in there to sell toys.

• Like 5

I want Stargoyle to die. You know he's only in there to sell toys.

Good LORD, I wish there were toys.

Also, I'm new here, but what's the feel among listeners; are we approaching the end of this Collector Quest? It seems that the Old Man is the Final Boss here and that he's using Collectors to steal souls to keep himself young. Kill him and The Collectors all die, right?

• Like 3

Kinda sad that Blaine used the original Genius of Love instead of Mariah Carey's Fantasy

As Sir Richard would say, "How dare you, sir!"

When I listened to this episode I wasn't expecting a comedy "This is SportsCenter" moment. Dadada dadada.

But for me the most hilarious moment was when Sarah rolled the one. She's usually so understated compared to the others. My jaw dropped and eyes widened when she just let off that stream of obscenity.

Great show.

• Like 2

Oh man...Adomian just makes the world a better place.

As soon as the boys left the room the 1st time, shit. got. real. The pace picked up and it was just roll after roll of battle.That creepy piece of shit old man confronts Mildred and her freaking out in the middle of it all not knowing friend from foe, that's a great little aspect to the story. Amarth got to slice and dice the empy robes one after another. There was lightning blasts, eldritch blasts, dragon breath Bilal blasts, and Sir Richard with the hand of god blasts.

I have a question regarding Bartho Shett's timidity. I remember the episode in which the lockers were introduced and he was scared to check them out and hiding, so i know that's canon but I can't remember if he was played like that before then? Or is that where him being a Dragon-Chicken began?

in the first episode Ken talks about his intention to play him as sort of a selfish rich dick, which i guess translates to him being sort of a scaredy cat

• Like 4

in the first episode Ken talks about his intention to play him as sort of a selfish rich dick, which i guess translates to him being sort of a scaredy cat

Wow. See I have no memory of that, nor did I remember it being referenced any time before the lockers when he did it pretty heavily. I totally missed that. I've really come to like Bart, and the guy playing him, in these recent couple storylines. I was overly critical of him previously and the reason I asked when the timid dragon thing began was I wanted to know if I had missed some good stuff in the first 20 or so episodes.

I’ve touched on this briefly before but I play Pathfinder regularly, I don't play Dungeons & Dragons (but really neither does the Nerd Poker gang - ha!). They took D&D 3.5, which was amazing, and improved it. However, even though I don’t play D&D I will scour the internet for any kind of podcasts devoted to either system. Whether actual play or just mechanics discussions & news I’m all about RPG entertainment right now**. There are Earwolf-type websites devoted to RPG podcasts that have dozens of different gaming groups playing various campaigns with upwards of 30 episodes per…but dammit, the podcasts I can listen to for more than 10 minutes are few and far between. Of all of them I can honestly recommend 4.

Nerd Poker is the pinnacle of those. Simply put: I find it to be the best consistent-quality RPG podcast that I’ve ever come across. I look forward to this podcast every Wednesday morning and no matter what other podcast I’m in the middle of, I stop it and listen to the newest NP with BP&F. It’s special to me because of the crazy amazing storylines, character work of the players, and the quality of the sound recording. I shit you not - in the diaspora of RPG podcasts, finding one that doesn’t have a player Skyped in from the farthest reaches of Delfar-7 with appropriate time delay, a constant humming buzzing humbuzz, or sound like it was recorded in Bender’s shiny metal ass-hole automatically puts it in the upper 30%. Nerd Poker does the basics so well I can appreciate it for that alone but I don’t mean to sell its quality short by making it seem like just because it doesn’t suck its therefore good. You all have made a podcast that several people enjoy, enjoy discussing, follow weekly, and care about what happens to the characters within. There’s no better testament to the appreciation than the fan art pages.

** - I’ve thought about making a separate post on the forums discussing which ones I’ve found to be good and which I’d recommend. I think I’m going to do it and I’m hopeful some other Nerd Poker reply with their own favorites.

• Like 3

** - I’ve thought about making a separate post on the forums discussing which ones I’ve found to be good and which I’d recommend. I think I’m going to do it and I’m hopeful some other Nerd Poker reply with their own favorites.

Please do! I tried listening to some others and they just didn't have the excitement and charm of Nerd Poker.

I can't believe I've been listening to this podcast for 40+ weeks now! Keep up the excellent work guys and gal. I really hope you plan on doing 40 more.

Now cue the battle music!!! \m/ \m/

• Like 1