🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PlanBFromOuterSpace

"Because You Watched..." Netflix suggestions that miss the mark

Sometimes, Netflix gets it really, really right, but sometimes I think someone's asleep at the wheel and something sneaks it's way in. Because I watched "Sudden Death", Netflix suggested nearly every JCVD, Seagal, and Wesley Snipes movie that they currently have streaming (including the shitty sequels to their movies (like "Art of War III" and "Bloodsport 4"), with some Norris, Lundgren,, and Dacascos sprinkled in. However, there is ONE big "one of these things is not like the other" pick, and that is...

hollywood_homicide.gif

The Josh Hartnett/Harrison Ford joint, "Hollywood Homicide".

Most of the time, I feel like no one knows me better than you, Netflix, but then sometimes I feel like you don't know me at all :( For instance, here's my "Top 10" suggestions according to Netflix...

-"Orange is the New Black": I've hard good things

-"How I Met Your Mother": I've been meaning to give it a try

-"Futurama": I liked it, but never watched regularly

-"Bob's Burgers": Don't know WHY I haven't watched it yet

-"Hunger Games": I'm willing to give it a spin

-"Sherlock": It's been in my queue for about 3 years, I'm getting to it...

-"Burn Notice": Eh, maybe someday

-"The Road": I finally watched this last week, and I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't more fucked up. It was kind of boring. This was actually filmed in my area somewhere, in the middle of summer by the looks of it...

-"Star Trek: The Next Generation": No thanks

and finally...

-"A Haunted House": I'm throwing all of your stuff out of the house right now, Netflix. If you're looking for your record collection, it'll be on the front fucking lawn...

-"Bob's Burgers": Don't know WHY I haven't watched it yet

You should fix that immediately.

I think the worst thing is the 'similar' movies they suggest when you add something to your queue. It's often just a bunch of movies that also feature one of the lead actors, with no other similarities at all.

• Like 1

You should fix that immediately.

I think the worst thing is the 'similar' movies they suggest when you add something to your queue. It's often just a bunch of movies that also feature one of the lead actors, with no other similarities at all.

And it gets worse the more specific you get, like when you add a documentary on police corruption in a small European town, it's like "Hey, you might want to check out 'Cop Out', because it ALSO has police in it".

Netflix has the absolute worst UI, it's such garbage that there are whole other websites and apps devoted to making it actually easy to find what you want to watch (thank you, instantwatcher). The categories Netflix has selected for me (I'm streaming on a WD TV Live) are so messed up at this point, like "Gritty Erotic Thrillers from the 1970s" and "Supernatural Crime Documentaries" and "Talking Animals" and a bunch of random kid shows. And why, every time I start the service, do I have to choose between "regular" Netflix and Kid's Netflix? Ugh. Still beats cable, though.

Orange Is The New Black is on top of everyone's list, I think, probably because they're pushing it.

-"Sherlock": It's been in my queue for about 3 years, I'm getting to it...

Watch that shit, it's good stuff. Well written and acted, a lot of fun. I wish there were more smart mystery shows or movies like Sherlock and not junk like CSI.

-"Star Trek: The Next Generation": No thanks

and finally...

Are you bad-mouthing TNG?

buffystabswillow.gif

• Like 4

Watch that shit, it's good stuff. Well written and acted, a lot of fun. I wish there were more smart mystery shows or movies like Sherlock and not junk like CSI.

Have you tried Elementary? I didn't have high hopes for it, but it actually does some things better than Sherlock. Female characters, for instance. Lucy Liu is really great as Joan Watson. And Natalie Dormer as Irene Adler.

Have you tried Elementary? I didn't have high hopes for it, but it actually does some things better than Sherlock. Female characters, for instance. Lucy Liu is really great as Joan Watson. And Natalie Dormer as Irene Adler.

Finding that out a few months ago made me mildly interested in it. I've seen 4 episodes(?) of Sherlock, and I think it;s really good, but I guess I don't like it enough that I feel motivated to watch it more frequently than once every few months.

-"The Road": I finally watched this last week, and I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't more fucked up. It was kind of boring. This was actually filmed in my area somewhere, in the middle of summer by the looks of it...

Have you read the book? It's pretty gritty and a quick read.

-"A Haunted House": I'm throwing all of your stuff out of the house right now, Netflix. If you're looking for your record collection, it'll be on the front fucking lawn...

It figures I guess. Only something without a conscience could recommend that piece or garbage.

• Like 1

I think it's good except for Moriarty, I hate the guy they have cast for him and the way he's portrayed.

Nah, it's just me being completely uninterested in TNG!

Phew. Otherwise, I was going to have to activate my nerd powers and go all Carrie up in here.

• Like 1

"Walking: The Movie"

Hmm, not on Netflix streaming; I remember hearing some other positive comments about it. I guess I'll legally purchase it and give it a whirl.

I think it's good except for Moriarty, I hate the guy they have cast for him and the way he's portrayed.

Yeah, I think they should have dialed him back down from 11. But at least he's dead? Probably?

I do feel like Netflix at times has strangely specific genre recommendations and then at other times very generic ones. Like right now I have 'Dysfunctional Family TV Shows' and 'Witty TV Comedies from the 1990s', then on the other side of the coin I have 'Critically Acclaimed Movies' and 'Showbiz Documentaries'. It also keeps recommending American Dad, even though I kind of hate MacFarlane Animation.

• Like 1

Phew. Otherwise, I was going to have to activate my nerd powers and go all Carrie up in here.

Oh yeah? Well I would have gone all Lar Park-Lincoln from "Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood" (because you watched "Carrie") on your ass to defend myself!

Have you read the book? It's pretty gritty and a quick read.

My old roommate told me about it, like saying how in the book it's even more bleak, because everything is essentially ash. As far as the movie goes, I was looking forward to seeing more of the other actors, and I think I would have been more pleasantly surprised if I didn't know they were in it to begin with, but nooooooooo, I actually read the description on the back of the Blu-Ray. I liked everyone that WAS in it, but Garret Dillahunt, who I've liked in other stuff, is gone pretty quick, and so is the guy who plays Chalkie on "Boardwalk Empire". I really thought Robert Duvall might be in more of it, and then Guy Pearce and Molly Parker literally show up in the last minute. Weeeeeaaaak.

Netflix has the absolute worst UI, it's such garbage that there are whole other websites and apps devoted to making it actually easy to find what you want to watch (thank you, instantwatcher). The categories Netflix has selected for me (I'm streaming on a WD TV Live) are so messed up at this point, like "Gritty Erotic Thrillers from the 1970s" and "Supernatural Crime Documentaries" and "Talking Animals" and a bunch of random kid shows. And why, every time I start the service, do I have to choose between "regular" Netflix and Kid's Netflix? Ugh. Still beats cable, though.

I'm going to be starting a new job doing customer service for Netflix in the near future, so I imagine I'm going to get pretty acquainted with it's ills. I've never had to choose between regular Netflix and Kid's Netflix, when I start maybe I'll look into that.

On my homepage, I currently have the categories "Scary Amateur Detective Movies" (about the only time you'll ever see "Zodiac" and "Howling IV" mentioned in the same place) and "TV Shows For Ages 11 to 12". I'm in my mid-thirties and I've maybe watched kid-oriented stuff a half dozen times in the 4 years I've been using Netflix. I...I just don't understand...

11 to 12 isn't necessarily kid oriented stuff, most things rated PG will fall under that umbrella, so you could've been watching Arrested Development or whatever. For the best results you have to rate stuff often, especially stuff you don't like.

11 to 12 isn't necessarily kid oriented stuff, most things rated PG will fall under that umbrella, so you could've been watching Arrested Development or whatever. For the best results you have to rate stuff often, especially stuff you don't like.

But I like horror & disaster movies, and I fucking hated Aftershock (avoid that at all costs, by the way) so I give it one star. Now Netflix doesn't think I like stupid gore flicks. The system is flawed.

Didn't you say you were about to get a job involving them in some capacity? What's that like? Or do you have an NDA?

In case we needed further proof that the suggestion system is wacky

netflixsuggest_zps9df10987.gif

I mean, I know Toys is hard to classify, but still

But I like horror & disaster movies, and I fucking hated Aftershock (avoid that at all costs, by the way) so I give it one star. Now Netflix doesn't think I like stupid gore flicks. The system is flawed.

Didn't you say you were about to get a job involving them in some capacity? What's that like? Or do you have an NDA?

Give some stupid gore flicks you DO like 5 stars.

Working at Netflix is honestly the best place I've ever worked. No bullshit.

In case we needed further proof that the suggestion system is wacky

The fact that they picked (What is a) Street Fighter lends some credence to the idea that Big Brother is listening to HDTGM.

• Like 1

I thought I'd give this one a bump since Netflix's technique for rounding up suggestions is actually kind of in the news right now. Speaking of which, I hate that because I'm white, Adam Sandler movies are always being recommended to me. Netflix thinks that I would like "The Cobbler", and I think that Netflix has been drinking.

Netflix has some Kristen Wiig movie picked out for me. How am I the only one that knows that her and Molly Shannon are the same person? People like Kristen Wiig but not Molly Shannon, when they shouldn't care for either. In moderation she's okay.

kristen-wiig-6.jpg46433_ori.jpg

Sign in to follow this