🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 71 — The Glimmer Man

Something that seems to have been left out is the scene where Campbell is shot. From what it looks like, he is shot in the chest/just below the shoulder. Still, he still has the strength to dangle off the side of the apartment complex. Then after Segal kills the bad guy, he's just up and walking and talking like nothing happens, aside from having a now slightly bloodied shirt. But then when he's finally getting medical treatment he is strapped to a gurney like he can't walk anymore.

Maybe try Hearts of Darkness

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102015/

That's a good one. Seeing Martin Sheen's mirror punching scene being filmed is amazing; the man is incredibly drunk, and yes that's his blood.

Something that seems to have been left out is the scene where Campbell is shot. From what it looks like, he is shot in the chest/just below the shoulder. Still, he still has the strength to dangle off the side of the apartment complex. Then after Segal kills the bad guy, he's just up and walking and talking like nothing happens, aside from having a now slightly bloodied shirt. But then when he's finally getting medical treatment he is strapped to a gurney like he can't walk anymore.

To be fair, that's like the fifth window he's gone through; I'm fairly certain he has a mutant healing factor, and that explanation was edited out.

Ok, so what's up with June facing away from the camera for the group shot? And there being no pics of her in the episode? Did she and Casey Wilson reenact Street Fighter and give each other black eyes?

She's viral buzz marketing Ass "Backwards" ;)

There are A LOT of problems with this movie, but let me just start with the title: Glimmer Man. As Brian Cox tells us (while he awkwardly swims with his villain pal), he was the Glimmer Man because when he murdered people in Viet Nam, they would see nothing and then just a glimmer ... before they died. Um. How do we know this? If it's the last thing that someone saw before they die, how are they communicating this? Are they live-tweeting their assassination? Is Seagal doing some Buddhist mind reading? Does the horrible device from Wild Wild West exist in this world? What the f?

That is a great point! My beef is just that it's misleading. Like if you told me there was a movie called "Glimmer Man" about cops trying to catch a serial killer, I would think that was the cool code name of the killer. Like "Zodiac" or "Son of Dad."

• Like 2

Jason got so much amusement from only Steven in this movie. And I don't blame him.

And his constant Stevie impression was amazing.

• Like 1

It's very soothing. If folks are going to do impressions on podcasts, I say way less Bane and way more Steven Seagal.

• Like 3

Another good making-of documentary: "Burden of Dreams", about the making of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. And yes, my viewing of both of these was 90% PFT-inspired, and I'm grateful for it.

• Like 3

Another good making-of documentary: "Burden of Dreams", about the making of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. And yes, my viewing of both of these was 90% PFT-inspired, and I'm grateful for it.

Burden of Dreams, by the wonderful and underappreciated documentarian Les Blank, who was a lifelong friend of Herzog. He departed this mortal coil back in April. His films are truly wonderful and explore parts of American culture that don't get a lot of attention. My favorite part in Burden of Dreams is when they're on the ship in the river, it sways rather dangerously in the current and one of the crew gets a fairly large gash on his arm as he's jolted. They pull out a bottle of vodka and are pouring it on the wound, taking swigs of it at the same time. Herzog is a crazy, crazy man.

Les Blank was also involved in the short Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, which is included on the DVD of Burden of Dreams (at least on my copy). Basically, a young Errol Morris wrote to Herzog about filmmaking, and Herzog replied that if Morris actually finished his first film, Herzog would eat his shoe. Of course, Errol Morris made that movie (and many others) and Herzog cooked and ate his shoe.

Anyone interested in Herzog or guerilla filmmaking should check out My Best Fiend, which is primarily about Herzog's relationship with Klaus Kinski but also shows a lot of low budget movie production processes. Good flick.

Yeah, I kinda want to do a supercut of all Jason's Seagal readings. I actually wished I had waited to watch Glimmer Man until I had listened to the episode; I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more (which is to say, enjoy it at all, cuz I thought it was terrible).

So i read the plot on Wikipedia and I'm hoping someone can help me understand: how does the murderer plot connect to the nuclear missiles (or whatever) plot? Like... not at all? I honestly dont understand.

"Fire Down Below" was Seagal's last studio movie! "On Deadly Ground" was early '94, I think.

Half Past Dead was 2002 and a Sony movie. He did at least another one or two movies that briefly appeared in theaters. I definitely saw Half Past Dead in theaters, and I recommend it to anyone that wants to see Seagal be a little gangsta with Ja Rule.

• Like 1

I saw this movie with my buddies when it came out. We went to a drive-in (which was a novelty, even then), and dropped acid. It was LITERALLY one of the greatest movie experiences of my life. I'm so stoked they chose this one.

So i read the plot on Wikipedia and I'm hoping someone can help me understand: how does the murderer plot connect to the nuclear missiles (or whatever) plot? Like... not at all? I honestly dont understand.

First of all, how dare you read the wiki and not watch this pile of garbage!

Kidding, you didn't miss much. Basically the guy who is hiring the murders is also the smuggler who is in league with the russian mafia. He uses the serial killers m.o. to take out people who know "too much" about his smuggling operation. They try to make it look like the serial killer (or family man) so it doesn't look like assassins are performing hired killings. So really if you just ignore all of the story and everything either of the main characters say, it makes total sense.

fuck.......this movie is for real 90 minutes long and it feels like it's two hours or more.

I definitely saw Half Past Dead in theaters, and I recommend it to anyone that wants to see Seagal be a little gangsta with Ja Rule.

Seent it. Ja Rule is the one who is the "little" gansta in that movie.

"Murrrrrdaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"

• Like 1

Half Past Dead was 2002 and a Sony movie. He did at least another one or two movies that briefly appeared in theaters. I definitely saw Half Past Dead in theaters, and I recommend it to anyone that wants to see Seagal be a little gangsta with Ja Rule.

I think they just meant during his initial run when he was pretty popular. "Glimmer Man" was right at the tail end of that, and then "Fire Down Below" was the last time he made an appearance in theaters until about "Exit Wounds" in '01, I think. That actually did pretty well for reasons that can't quite properly be explained (the dream team of DMX and Tom Arnold?). "Half Past Dead" rolled over and died, showing what a fluke "Exit Wounds" was, so Seagal went away again for a very, very long time.

It's official; Steven Seagal is totally a new character for Jason. The next time he shows up on Comedy Bang-Bang, he BEST do it as Seagal... Ideally, against Paul's Frank Stallone and Nick Kroll's Sly Stallone. And James Adomian's Jesse Ventura! :D

A few more impressions, and Hot Saucerman will have his own Expendables going on!

• Like 3

Anyone interested in Herzog or guerilla filmmaking should check out My Best Fiend, which is primarily about Herzog's relationship with Klaus Kinski but also shows a lot of low budget movie production processes. Good flick.

Yeah, My Best Fiend is also fantastic. I didn't mention it because it isn't about making one movie, but there is definitely a lot of behind-the-scenes footage along with the more general Kinski-focused stuff.

Side note - One thing I never understood is why Burden of Dreams and My Best Fiend share a lot of footage from the Fitzcarraldo shoot even though they're done by different directors. Also, in Burden of Dreams, it seems like they're shooting the movie in English rather than German.

I think they just meant during his initial run when he was pretty popular. "Glimmer Man" was right at the tail end of that, and then "Fire Down Below" was the last time he made an appearance in theaters until about "Exit Wounds" in '01, I think. That actually did pretty well for reasons that can't quite properly be explained (the dream team of DMX and Tom Arnold?). "Half Past Dead" rolled over and died, showing what a fluke "Exit Wounds" was, so Seagal went away again for a very, very long time.

I saw that movie in the theaters and it was the best movie going experience I've had (other than the release of Friday the 13th). The funniest part about that movie is when DMX is doing his fight against one of the main henchmen. It's raining or something and DMX's shirt is off so you can see his muscle glistening.

DMX beats up the bad guy and then -- in slow motion -- drops to his knees and looks up to the sky. And in the theater someone yelled out "Khannnnnnn!" and then someone else started singing "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone.."

Everyone cracked up for about a full minute afterwards.

• Like 2

It's official; Steven Seagal is totally a new character for Jason. The next time he shows up on Comedy Bang-Bang, he BEST do it as Seagal... Ideally, against Paul's Frank Stallone and Nick Kroll's Sly Stallone. And James Adomian's Jesse Ventura! :D

A few more impressions, and Hot Saucerman will have his own Expendables going on!

I see an Enigma Force Five revival.

"How about I just sit in this chair, and then I do this thing where I just...punch 'em"

tumblr_inline_msyqsp9tI81qz4rgp.png

Please tell me some of you thought of Sit and Be Fit during Paul's story from The League's AD about Seagal's preferred chair-style combat. (37:40)

• Like 5

There are A LOT of problems with this movie, but let me just start with the title: Glimmer Man. As Brian Cox tells us (while he awkwardly swims with his villain pal), he was the Glimmer Man because when he murdered people in Viet Nam, they would see nothing and then just a glimmer ... before they died.

Thank you for explaining that because I must have missed that scene. At the end of the movie I still had NO idea why it was called The Glimmer Man. After your explanation, I still have no idea, but at least there was an attempt.

I BARELY heard anything Seagal said in the movie. Thankfully, the DVD i borrowed from the library was fucked and I couldn't get subtitles to turn off.

And... Brian Cox and the other dude were definitely in a turkish bath together, right? They are an adorable couple.

And why did they choose to have Keenan Ivory Wayans cry at a scene in Casablanca that no one remembers. Surely, a better choice would be the super famous, emotional parts?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this