🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 71 — The Glimmer Man

Is it wrong that Jason's Segal voice is turning me on? Also, I love the new "second opinions" song! Awesome show. Great job!

At first, I read that and thought it was Jason Segel's voice that was turning you on.

At first, I read that and thought it was Jason Segel's voice that was turning you on.

tumblr_m197oup8241qdrg5do1_500.gif

• Like 3

Yeah, My Best Fiend is also fantastic. I didn't mention it because it isn't about making one movie, but there is definitely a lot of behind-the-scenes footage along with the more general Kinski-focused stuff.

Side note - One thing I never understood is why Burden of Dreams and My Best Fiend share a lot of footage from the Fitzcarraldo shoot even though they're done by different directors. Also, in Burden of Dreams, it seems like they're shooting the movie in English rather than German.

Burden of Dreams was directed by Les Blank, who's American. I bet that English was an easier language to use for translating with locals while on set as well.

Herzog himself directed My Best Fiend and Blank's his close friend so it makes sense that he let him use the footage from Burden of Dreams.

Yes, breast implants have serial numbers, and have infact helped identify bodies http://www.cnn.com/2...ia.model.death/.

This seems like such common knowledge, it was weird none of them could definitively say that they do. I mean, they did see 'Pain & Gain' right? That was a major plot point during the resolution of it. The lady that they killed and dismembered, Krisztina Furton, was identified by her implants.

Burden of Dreams, by the wonderful and underappreciated documentarian Les Blank, who was a lifelong friend of Herzog. He departed this mortal coil back in April. His films are truly wonderful and explore parts of American culture that don't get a lot of attention. My favorite part in Burden of Dreams is when they're on the ship in the river, it sways rather dangerously in the current and one of the crew gets a fairly large gash on his arm as he's jolted. They pull out a bottle of vodka and are pouring it on the wound, taking swigs of it at the same time. Herzog is a crazy, crazy man.

Les Blank was also involved in the short Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, which is included on the DVD of Burden of Dreams (at least on my copy). Basically, a young Errol Morris wrote to Herzog about filmmaking, and Herzog replied that if Morris actually finished his first film, Herzog would eat his shoe. Of course, Errol Morris made that movie (and many others) and Herzog cooked and ate his shoe.

Anyone interested in Herzog or guerilla filmmaking should check out My Best Fiend, which is primarily about Herzog's relationship with Klaus Kinski but also shows a lot of low budget movie production processes. Good flick.

Yeah, I kinda want to do a supercut of all Jason's Seagal readings. I actually wished I had waited to watch Glimmer Man until I had listened to the episode; I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more (which is to say, enjoy it at all, cuz I thought it was terrible).

Didn't Klaus Kinski have some sort of incestuous relationship with his daughters like the guy from the Mamas and the Papas had with Mackenzie Phillips? I can't remember where I heard that, but I maybe getting him mixed up with an Italian director who had similar rumors about his family life. His daughter was the love interest in the Vin Diesel classic, 'XXX'.

And why did they choose to have Keenan Ivory Wayans cry at a scene in Casablanca that no one remembers. Surely, a better choice would be the super famous, emotional parts?

Yeah, that was bizarre. It just shows how little thought was put into it, because they obviously edited in the Casablanca footage in post; Wayans was only filmed from the front with a projector behind him.

G1fLPUh.png

Also, when they were outside, the theater's marquee displayed that along with Casablanca they were showing Philadelphia Story. I was like "that's a way better movie, go see that instead!" Seriously. And what revival houses are running Casablanca and Cary Grant films? I guess it's LA, but still.

Didn't Klaus Kinski have some sort of incestuous relationship with his daughters like the guy from the Mamas and the Papas had with Mackenzie Phillips? I can't remember where I heard that, but I maybe getting him mixed up with an Italian director who had similar rumors about his family life. His daughter was the love interest in the Vin Diesel classic, 'XXX'.

One of his daughters recently wrote a memoir and apparently says some serious evil shit went down between her father and her (I don't know exactly what). Some people have accused her of making this up now to create controversy in order to sell her book, since it's been over 20 years since Kinski died. But he was obviously a super fucked up person, even though I'd like to believe that child abuse would be a place he wouldn't go. Who knows; it's her word against a dead person's. I hope she's found some peace in her life.

And the other director you're thinking of is Dario Argento, whose daughter Asia Argento has been naked in many movies but nothing ever happened with her dad, to my limited knowledge.

And... Brian Cox and the other dude were definitely in a turkish bath together, right? They are an adorable couple.

It's really funny that you say that because all of those scenes with Brian Cox looked like he was living in like a palace? In Los Angeles? It was some crazy architecture going on.

It's really funny that you say that because all of those scenes with Brian Cox looked like he was living in like a palace? In Los Angeles? It was some crazy architecture going on.

It looked like the fucking Temple of Doom, like waiting in line at Disneyland for the Indiana Jones ride.

• Like 1

I also love that this episode gave us a heirachy of June's knowledge on things

1: Tornadoes

2: Morgues

3: Fighting

99999999: What a street fighter is

• Like 2

June's theory about how Seagal used deer penis as an elaborate prank to bring out Wayans' feminine side and make him cry and make him redecorate his own apartment, I choked laughing, couldn't breathe and was literally afraid that I might die (I use "literally" in the old fashioned meaning, not the one in the new changed dictionary).

• Like 2

I am sorry but this was a really stupied movie.

Does Steven seagal even really know how to do martial arts? I ask this because, all I see in this movie is just some very carefully orchestrated tight zooms at key points in the fighting parts of the film. i've noticed this because it's one of my pet peeves. it's like all we see is stevens hands moving up and down with a tight zoom on him. we never really see him fighting at all.

Yet the other actors in the movie have all got no tight zooms during there action shots.

I've yet to listen to the show yet but I will sometime today. I have to say it stevens not in all that great of shape. you would think if your a big action star doing a movie you would hire a trainer to get you in shape.

Burden of Dreams was directed by Les Blank, who's American. I bet that English was an easier language to use for translating with locals while on set as well.

To clarify - I wasn't questioning why BoD was in English. In it, there are a handful of times where you see scenes from the movie being shot, and those scenes are being performed in English. (And not just the original version with Jason Robards and Mick Jagger, which seemed vastly inferior based on that small sample.)

Herzog himself directed My Best Fiend and Blank's his close friend so it makes sense that he let him use the footage from Burden of Dreams.

Thanks, that makes sense.

This seems like such common knowledge, it was weird none of them could definitively say that they do. I mean, they did see 'Pain & Gain' right? That was a major plot point during the resolution of it. The lady that they killed and dismembered, Krisztina Furton, was identified by her implants.

And most of the victims in Law & Order: SVU.

• Like 1

Dario Argento - one of my fave directors ever and I go see his films at midnight showings whenever I can. HDTGM should do Suspiria. An innocent girl gets sent to a ballet school that happens to be run by a coven of witches. Then they have a sleepover party, maggots rain on their heads, there's a room full of barbed wire (not Barb Wire) and a ceramic mountain lion explodes. 5 stars.

"His fight face seems like he's squeezing out a hurty poo."

i just about wrecked my car when I heard that one.

• Like 1

But seriously, does this director jerk off to the sound of glass breaking? Everyone in the movie was thrown through a window at least once.

• Like 2

Seent it. Ja Rule is the one who is the "little" gansta in that movie.

"Murrrrrdaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"

Don't forget that sweet running gag of Seagal and Ja Rule saying, "Aight" to each other. That's what needs to be shown to help race relations in this country!

• Like 1

Don't forget that sweet running gag of Seagal and Ja Rule saying, "Aight" to each other. That's what needs to be shown to help race relations in this country!

• Like 1

And most of the victims in Law & Order: SVU.

This is almost exactly what my girlfriend said when I relayed the story to her.

The Tobolowsky story about convincing Seagal to kill the villain is even funnier in the context of John Leguizamo's stories from the set of "Executive Decision." Seagal had a small part in the movie and was supposed to die in the first act. Apparently this upset him quite a bit, and he went to the producers and said (cue Jason's Seagal voice), "How bout if instead of dying, my character lives?" They said no dice, and he pitched a fit and refused to come out of his trailer on the day they were supposed to film his death scene (per Leguizamo) before eventually capitulating.

I remember seeing the story in an interview on Conan and found it referenced here: http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=1963465 but I can't find video. I also found a great discussion of it on this Steven Seagal fan messageboard: http://www.steven-se...ut-seagal.2287/

Also, there is a Steven Seagal fan messageboard, and it is awesome.

I can't decide which is my favorite comment on that thread, the guy who talks about Russell and Seagal's chemistry or the guy who just says "Russel should have been the one who died."

Good times!

• Like 3

Also, there is a Steven Seagal fan messageboard, and it is awesome.

The internet is a truly magical place.

Sign in to follow this